Houzz Logo Print
kymryan

Facade makeover -help!!

kymryan
hace 9 años
We want to create a modern look with a limited budget.
Colours - monument, shale grey and maybe 1/4 shale grey.
Inside is done please help!!
We can't render as house is stumped and it will crack (could have done this cheaply)
Can build new rendered square arch and extend patio with new door etc.
any ideas will be helpful.

Comentarios (17)

• kymryan
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    White cladding will come off and will revamp weatherboards that are underneath (hubby is a painter and a good one!! ).
    Can I change the left wall to a different modern rectangle cladding?
  • kymryan
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Love this look
  • kymryan
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    And this one but can't afford a new roof and pitch
  • ladyrob1
    hace 9 años
    Just a suggestion from someone who sees a lot of oldies made over.

Had you considered cladding with colourbond roofing instead of the conventional "fake timber grain" aluminium and foam cladding? Its the kind of house that will look really chic done in that and the colours are really nice too, You could even change the profile of the entrance without too much fuss and expense. You could take the metal roofing/cladding right down to the ground.

Don't be too concerned about the stumps....these oldies are usually pretty solid, but would suggest before doing anything, having the levels checked. If the stumps are brick you could reinforce in between them with a metal stump. If wooden, dig out around each wooden stump down to the bottom and fill the space around each stump with a mixture of creosote and decomposed granite...for stability, as a damp prevention and a measure against termites. Maybe put a metal stump here and there between the originals and especially on the corners ro prevent any movement. I think that once you know the house won't move a re-clad with colourbond would look really modern.
  • kymryan
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Wow love that idea - will do a search now :), do you think just one wall - some or all of the outside?
  • ladyrob1
    hace 9 años
    I think the remodelled facade and the whole front and the side that is seen the most. You might like it so much you'll do it all. or just do the front and plant trees. Have Fun.
  • cloudpants
    hace 9 años
    Your house reminds me of ours when we bought it. We clad it in weatherboard,painted, added a deck and changed the roofline and colour of roof. Your place has loads of potential. Will try & add pics.
  • cloudpants
    hace 9 años
    Updated house
  • ladyrob1
    hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años
    @kymryan..just having another look at your cladded house...Why do you want to remove the white cladding.? Apart from looking into recladding with colourbond as an option...or anything else....I think you might be wise to make sure of exactly what is under the present cladding...if you have not done that already.

As cloudpants here says, your place has loads of potential and I am sure you would want it to be timeless so all you have to do is the maintenance.
    You mentioned that there are weatherboards under the cladding on your house.
    Do you know that for sure?

Usually when they clad old weatherboard places the weatherboards are removed first because they cannot just be c;lad over.
    Check!
    Underneath your cladding you might have what I think was called ' wide chamferboards' or even a narrower kind used about 1950-60. These were PINE and the reason for cladding was usually because they were weather-worn or rotted.
    It might even be that there are no "boards" of any kind under that cladding...maybe fibro or cement sheeting.....or, if you are lucky...the house framework...onto which you can put any exterior cladding.
    I'd advise you to check this if you have not done so already.
    The tiles on the roof suggest to me that the original outside of the house may have been these pine boards or even the cement sheeting...but I think the former. I do not think that there would be the older style hardwood weatherboards under that cladding...the house is of the wrong era for those....it would need to be much older..

Another option...some of the really old weatherboard houses around here (in country Queensland) have been rendered using a very old system...All of these houses were on wooden stumps.

Before they started they stabilised the stumps as I have described and then built in all around the sides of the underneath with bricks.

They covered the house with insulating foil or tar paper then they covered that with chicken wire netting!!!

Over that they simply applied a cement mixture and they trowelled it leaving swirls...a bit like the Mexican adobe. Then they painred it.

Its a very old technique. It is materials cheap and labour intensive. If the old house on stumps inderneath shifts a little there's no problems with cracking of any kind....due to the cement, hand applied "render" having the (chicken) wire reinforcing bonded throughout with the cement.

The finished house looks as if it is built of stone or concrete! ..The insulating properties are great.

Its a very old system that lasts the test of time....the early Italians brought it in when this area was opened up for orchards,

There's an old weatherboard house just opposite mine that was "rendered" in this manner about 50 years ago and it still looks new.....been pained occasionally of course.
    Recently its had a verandah added in keeping with the style of the house and they've "prettied up" the facade under the roof with some ornamenral work.
    You could research that I am sure...you might even find out "How To".
  • Rebekka
    hace 9 años
    Hi,

If you can paint the cladding, do so. Repaint the roof & gutters same colour as your new windows. Depending on your new front door - if redwood either attach redwood privacy screen on the right side & clad around that metal pole in redwood too. Or you could build a wall on that side which encases the pole & attach stacked stone in a colour that compliments your new colour scheme! Enjoy, as you only have to do it the once!

Kind regards
  • Christine Bruin
    hace 7 años

Consider framing your windows with reveals and sills, for a quick, inexpensive and substantial improvement to its current appearance. Currently, the aluminum windows with no sills or frames do not dress the house, and detract from the overall appearance. Instant curb appeal for you to enjoy!

I agree that you should be wary of removing the cladding, as my parents home was clad in this manner, and it was fibro underneath. Fortunately they had nice fullsome window frames and sills rather than the skimpy frames on 70's metal windows. The cladding does provide some insulation and protection if it is sound. Check first, before removing.

If you want to replace it, the colourbond treatment suggested by another contributer,would suit the proportions of your building and be something that would make it easy to match when continuing with anybuilding extentions or garden structures in future. You may need assistance to make this change, due to the logistics of working with big metal sheets. You dont want your house to looked like an old shed, so a precise and sound application is essential.

I had some hardiplank weatherboards removed from a large back wall on my old timber home- due to a preexisting need for some re-wiring, re-plumbing and building insulation works.

We replaced the fibro style planks with pre-primed pine weatherboards. They went up really easily. A two person job to ensure they are level set, but perhaps less skill than working with colourbond sheets etc.

A more authentic timber weatherboard look was achieved and I liked that. Plus, we have the structural integrity and insulating properties of genuine timber with less concern about toxic building products. that's what I was after. So good luck! your old building probably has very good bones and that's a plus.

• haylee_w
    hace 6 años

Hi @cloudpants was it difficult and expensive to change the roof line of your house?

• cloudpants
    hace 6 años
    @haylee_w it was not really cost or time prohibitive in the whole scheme of things. It was my husband's idea and our builder was keen to take up the challenge. Also, we would have had to address the issue of incorrect placement of terracotta roofing tiles (leaks everywhere) on the original roof anyway, so we killed two birds with one stone.. After the roofline was changed and tiles relaid, we had the tiles painted.
  • PRO
    AJR Construct
    hace 6 años
    I would paint the roof tiles dark grey, add a larger feature door - maybe red?? Paint the current weather boards a lighter grey than the roof. Extend the patio out to the end of the house on the right and change the larger window to a sliding door. Then add a chunkier looking patio/veranda roof with the Downpipe moved across the the corner. Add some pot plants to the patio... a wind chime and a unique door knocker... perhaps a lighter grey door surround than the walls
  • PRO
    Brickworx Australia
    hace 6 años

Hi Kymryan,

If you not a fan of the weatherboard look, our faux stone & brick panels may be an alternative solution for you.

Feel free to have a browse through our webpage

www.brickworx.com.au

• Ginger Lines
    hace 3 años

Budget is everything in my own world, so I dont know if my suggestions will be useful since they involve some expense.

I would replace, at least, the front windows with traditional double hungs that are in keeping with design and age of the house.

Stretch the portico into a porch along the window to the right of front door - a porh with columns, rails, spindles.

Perhaps light gray paint for the house and white porch and trims.

Add small landscape that wont become overgrown. If re-roofing opt for metal.

If your budget is like mine, then paint either lighe gray with white trim or brighten the whited and add green shutters, and window boxes. Windows could be trimmed with white casing. I think its a great house.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.