Houzz Logo Print
lagois2345

A Grand Welcome

From bland to grand! Our clients wanted to put a new face on their existing bungalow style home; something warm and inviting to greet visitors as they drove up to the home.

We designed a stunning portico to dress up the previously flat and linear exterior. To craft this grand entrance, we selected cedar posts, a T& G ceiling, and custom Douglas fir timber trusses. Before, the front door was hidden beneath an existing roof overhang and behind a massive cedar hedge. Now, the naturally finished portico provides a more substantial shelter that blends beautifully with the existing stone façade. A new door, several new windows, new stairs facing the street, and landscaping pavers to the driveway and garage complement the new entry.

Extra care was taken in crafting the portico to ensure its longevity and beauty for years to come. Stone post bases ground the posts to a concrete base capped with stone pavers and a concrete foundation will prevent the steps from settling. Lanterns flanking the door and pot accent lighting provide a distinctive glow in the evening.

The home is so welcoming that the homeowners have strangers stopping by to compliment them on the change!

Comentarios (21)

• K
    hace 9 años
    Nice job
    Lagois Design Build Renovate agradeció a K
  • Beth Gilliamyz. Bllyynqv
    hace 9 años
    What a difference! Great job!!!!!!!!!
  • User
    hace 9 años
    Wow, nice! Somehow I knew it was in Canada!
    Lagois Design Build Renovate agradeció a User
  • PRO
    Jamie Herzlinger
    hace 9 años
    Stunning job!
    Love,
    Jamie Herzlinger
    Lagois Design Build Renovate agradeció a Jamie Herzlinger
  • shareserenee
    hace 9 años
    Completely impressive! Great job!
    Lagois Design Build Renovate agradeció a shareserenee
  • PRO
    Eskandari Stone
    hace 9 años
    Great transformation. Nice job. :)
    Lagois Design Build Renovate agradeció a Eskandari Stone
  • PRO
    Rock Star Homes LLC.
    hace 9 años
    pretty cool!
    Lagois Design Build Renovate agradeció a Rock Star Homes LLC.
  • Lynne Mysliwiec
    hace 9 años
    Am always confused when people throw around terms like ranch or bungalow or colonial. Is there a standard? I'd call the before a standard brick ranch (rectangular single story box with peaked roof, with entry on the long side of the rectangle). The new entrance has certainly donated a sense of the monumental to the old house.
    Lagois Design Build Renovate agradeció a Lynne Mysliwiec
  • PRO
    Lagois Design Build Renovate
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Hello Lynne,
    Thank you for your comment!

To answer you question, the term ranch is American whereas in Canada we use the term bungalow. The terms are interchangeable. Colonial is an architectural style.
  • PRO
    Crown Construction Contracting
    hace 9 años
    Wonderful job! I love how you kept the same exterior stone, yet the design completely enhanced it to where it looks like new!!! The entry is fabulous...all of it is actually!
    Lagois Design Build Renovate agradeció a Crown Construction Contracting
  • freetess
    hace 9 años
    Good to know about the different terms across borders. So what is the term in Canada for what we call a Bungalow in the US? I am talking about an Arts and Crafts style bungalow?
    Thanks.
  • Lynne Mysliwiec
    hace 9 años
    Colonial is also dependent on location, I think...since most colonial styles were the styles that were common at the time of colonization. A colonial style home in Hawaii is different from a colonial style New England home. So...even the style varies. Gotta go dig out my Dad's architectural history books I think...
  • Lynne Mysliwiec
    hace 9 años
    It might be much easier across the world to classify rectangular/square homes by story count (1, 1.5, 2, etc.), roof type (gabled, peaked, mansard, hipped, etc.), with some mention of notable details exterior decoration/surface/construction. Am never confused with igloos, teepees and yurts. :-)
  • PRO
    Lagois Design Build Renovate
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    freetess - we use the term Arts and Crafts in Canada.
  • Dawn
    hace 9 años
    R u kidding me! This is amazing? A great way to update a ranch.
    Lagois Design Build Renovate agradeció a Dawn
  • grobby
    hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años
    Stunning! The hardscape certainly makes a statement.
    Lagois Design Build Renovate agradeció a grobby
  • PRO
    Novus Designs
    hace 9 años
    Looks amazing!
    Lagois Design Build Renovate agradeció a Novus Designs
  • Angel 18432
    hace 9 años
    Amazing what one can do with unlimited funds.
  • Kay
    hace 9 años
    In the Chicago area, here's what we call bungalows.
  • PRO
    Brown Bros. Masonry
    hace 9 años
    Hard to believe this is the same house!! What amazing updates and additions. Really like your covered front entry with the exposed beams. Beautiful!
    Lagois Design Build Renovate agradeció a Brown Bros. Masonry
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.