Houzz Logo Print
gwen_hostetler

Guest room disaster!

Gwen H
hace 9 años
This is the one room in our house we have not touched since moving in. I don't know where to start! New bedding first? Suggestions please :-)

Comentarios (118)

• Denise Marchand
    hace 9 años
    Love the set up of the furniture. This is going to be so cute, your guests are never going to leave!
  • Dana C.
    hace 9 años
    I agree with Decorilla to choose style and furniture first. The style of bedding will be somewhat dictated by the headboard and furniture style.
  • Linda Fulcher
    hace 9 años
    Thanks for posting your progress. The new arrangement looks so nice. It's always fun to change things, I can't wait to see the new finishes on the furniture.
  • Gwen H
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Back at it again :-) 90% of the priming done. Forgot about this chair I had - will add it somewhere in the room
  • Gwen H
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Blue on the drawers!! I found these two art pieces In a closet. I was thinking about putting them on the wall one on each side of the window?
  • Denise Marchand
    hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años
    Your pup is so happy you are doing his room!
    I would like to see the tall dresser across from the foot of the bed, as it looks too high next to the bed and probably off scale with the window. Try the low dresser on the entrance door wall. (A full length mirror on the back of the door). Pull the headboard away from the window alittle so that the curtains have room and don't looked smashed.

When you enter the room, you will be looking at the far corner. This is the place that should have a charming setting: The wonderful chair, floor lamp, small table, and the art pieces (hung together) behind. (I keep changing my mind about the art: put the two art pieces over the low dresser and use the black and blue art behind the chair) The nice thing about furniture and furnishings is that they are moveable! Here are some pics:
  • abbyjean
    hace 9 años
    Nice art you found, but two small for the sides of the window. They need to be together on a smaller wall.
  • Gwen H
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Progress!
  • nwduck
    hace 9 años
    Those look great!
  • abbyjean
    hace 9 años
    Definite progress! Gosh, I love the blue you chose!
  • MarleneM
    hace 9 años
    I agree, they look modern and fresh!
  • Denise Marchand
    hace 9 años
    Looks wonderful! Progress indeed.
  • Gwen H
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Dressers are done, new sheers are up. New sheets and comforter in the washer thank you everyone for your input so far! Now is like to find two cheap lamps to put on either side of the long dresser. I'm torn between a patterned blue or gray? Or a yellow? It just solid shades.
  • abbyjean
    hace 9 años
    SOOOOO very nice and fresh looking! Cannot wait to see the bed all made up.
  • abbyjean
    hace 9 años
    Lamps? Two thoughts.....do you have a goodwill store? There might be vintage lamps to work with this furniture. Walk through Shopko and Target.......I really like the lamps at Shopko. Maybe just walk and look and see if anything fits your ideas instead of going to look for just one thing. You will know when it is right.
  • ohrelax
    hace 9 años
    Would you consider replacing the dresser knobs with handles, one per drawer? It would look even nicer and be more functional.
  • Gwen H
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    I like the look of the knobs best
  • Gwen H
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Some more pictures :-)
  • abbyjean
    hace 9 años
    Look back from 2 weeks ago to today! You must just walk by this room, stop in and smile!!! What does the art look like.....can you prop it up on the tall chest?
  • Denise Marchand
    hace 9 años
    Looks so good! Now put the white pillows on the bed behind and the printed ones in front to show the print. Find another pillow (green?) to put in front and a throw (blue green + yellow stripe?) for the foot of the bed. I like your idea about introducing yellow into the room also.

You might need roll up bamboo shades to add texture and privacy. You asked about hanging the two matching art pieces on either side of the bed. This is a good idea but you have to elaborate on it. Wall hung lamps for either side of the bed along with the art is a start. and one lamp (yellow) on the low dresser. The room is not that large, so you want to keep the accessories large and few to make a statement.

Try the black frame blue green yellow art over the tall dresser and get three size black vases-boxes to place in front. and one thin black base lamp.

If your adorable chair looks too squished in the corner, it looks like you can try it at the foot of the bed (for putting on shoes etc) Get another printed pillow like the one on the bed and an additional small pillow for that chair.

What's your doggie's name? He's so cute in every pic! You are brilliant doing all this, and it looks like you're having fun.
  • Denise Marchand
    hace 9 años
    Oops. Forgot the pics. Basically they show the wall lamps and pillow arrangements.
  • Denise Marchand
    hace 9 años
    I just reread this discussion thread and it was so fun. The room has taken on a personality of its own. Sacapuntaslapioz was on the money with suggestions.
  • abbyjean
    hace 9 años
    I was wondering how to do the pillows to not ignore the headboard. It would be nice to lay some books/magazines in one part with a candle on top. Maybe a pretty picture frame with either a pic all your guests would recognize or print off some words to live by or just a welcome.
  • Denise Marchand
    hace 9 años
    For the lamp on the low dresser: Use the existing lamp in your very first pic and change the shade to update. If you really hate the color and it's not an important item, paint the base that citron color in the art.

Be careful now, and don't get too matchy-matchy. It is one of the giveaways of a non professional. The fact is we collect throughout our lives and repurpose the items we love. That love will read loud and clear in this room.

BTW love the glass vessel with the travel products! I'm coming!
  • cctuttle
    hace 9 años
    Really love the blue and white dressers with silver knobs and crisp white linens. Do you have money left over for wall paint? Consider pale gray. Not a fan of the small medallion art as it is not in character with the crisp clean look of the beautiful blue and white. Pops of yellow would be fabulous. Also agree with wall lamps for bedside - ultra modern. What is your plan for the chair? This would be a great place to have fun and add a touch of whimsy. The lighter zebra print is actually a rug...
  • sacapuntaslapioz
    hace 9 años
    Gwen girl, that room is rocking!!!! Gorgeous work on the dressers. great color. love it not too country, not too modern. Perfection!
    I think I would go with a more modern choice for lamp or shades. I would use a magenta, chartreuse, black or orange. Yellow, unless is a mustard yellow will look too countrish. I love the art you found and will put it either at the sides of the bed by the window or over the dresser. find a rug, Homegoods have good ones and also overstock.com.

That chair is going to be fabulous there. Are you planning on painting it too?

keep getting pictures and I LOVE YOUR DOG
  • cctuttle
    hace 9 años
    Any color combination can look country depending on how you accessorize. No puff valances and you'll be okay. What color you choose may depend on whether you want to repaint the walls or not. Orange and chartreuse are both great colors for blue too. How do you want the room to feel?
  • sacapuntaslapioz
    hace 9 años
    Gwen, can you fit the dresser by the bed as a night table?
  • Gwen H
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Denise you are right - I am always way too matchy matchy or I have the opposite problem and nothing goes together! I'll look for a modern lamp - I like the yellow idea. I have a black lamp base, maybe I can find a yellow chevron shade? And I love the bamboo shade idea! The room needs some texture. What about a hanging plant above the chair? I also have this old painted window frame. I was thinking of hanging it over the long dressor?
  • Denise Marchand
    hace 9 años
    I'm not a fan of printed lamp shades-it's like "decorating" a light source. Let a lamp be a lamp, and not a design statement. I think you should also add another pair of sheer curtains to the window treatments to make it lush. Professionally made curtains are usually 2-1/2 to 3 times the width of the window. The window frame is a designer-approved idea!

Is the chair staying in the corner? If you put a piece of art above it, a floor lamp and a tiny side table, you can always have a small vase of fresh flowers when guests arrive. Skip the hanging plant altogether.

Another trick for good design is the "luxury of space". Even in a small room, blank space works wonders giving the room breathing space. Create vignettes. - around the headboard, around the bench and around the high dresser, and call it a day. The place where you can tie it all together is an area rug between the foot of the bed and the tall dresser. Again, don't try to match too much. Look at www.joshandmain.com for inspiration, as they always have good rugs.
  • cctuttle
    hace 9 años
    Agree about hanging plant and printed lamp shades. Bring print in with throw pillows and a rug. If you put a yellow chevron shade with a black lamp base you are introducing a whole new color idea. I am a fan of decorating with black but in this room the blue and white with sheers and white linens expresses a feeling that isn't helped by black. Consider modern sconces on either side of the bed that repeat the metal in the knobs on your dressers. Also like the window frame. A common mistake in decorating is incorporating too many little items. One big statement piece of art or one vase with flowers is better than lots of little 'stuff'. The window frame is nice because it is big yet simple and compliments the mood of the room while adding a bit of whimsy which is always fun for guests.
  • Gwen H
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Thinking about storage - I don't need both dressers in the guest room. Have been thinking of using the long dresser as a tv stand for DVD storage etc. am I nuts? (Don't answer that :-) ) my neck is starting to hurt from the tv over the fireplace
  • cctuttle
    hace 9 años
    It would work... how is the color in your living room? You did such a great job of painting! It might also serve as a buffet in the dining area
  • Gwen H
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Thinking about storage - I don't need both dressers in the guest room. Have been thinking of using the long dresser as a tv stand for DVD storage etc. am I nuts? (Don't answer that :-) ) my neck is starting to hurt from the tv over the fireplace
  • Gwen H
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Sorry for the double post. Right now it's mostly neutral black & beige with a bit of red
  • abbyjean
    hace 9 años
    I think lowering the tv to save your neck is a great idea! Now do a little math for us.....what is the length of the tv and the length of the dresser? Obviously, the dresser needs to be longer than the tv, but not just a little bit, either, or it will out of balance.

What about the wall it will go on? Room for it?

Neutral with this blue is great as the blue is a wonderful accent color with pillows and throws. Red works with the blue, too.
  • sacapuntaslapioz
    hace 9 años
    Gwen, any more progress?
  • Denise Marchand
    hace 9 años
    OK, we're waiting for more pics so we can go on to the next room! How far did you get with the accessories?
  • Gwen H
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Yes I've made some progress I'll post pictures tomorrow :-)
  • Gwen H
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    This is my progress so far. Still on the to do list - 1. finish painting the end table (it's in the basement for now), 2. find a mirror for above the long dresser(the one I have is way too large for the room) 3. Hang picture above tall dresser 4. Find/save up for a rug & a lamp :-D. Thanks for the input everyone! I'm moving on to my living room disaster next ;-)
  • Gwen H
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Forgot the pics :-)
  • abbyjean
    hace 9 años
    Very nice! Look at the sunshine streaming in! You are ready for company now!

For fun, would you want to try the pic on the chest the other direction and post again? Does it work either way?
  • Gwen H
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    The picture turned
  • abbyjean
    hace 9 años
    It looks good that way, too. Thank you for trying that! Guess what might determine the direction would be what you are placing on there. If it is something tall, like a candle stick, it might fit with it the tall way so the candle fills in the wall space. If it is lower, this last direction might work. Nice to have options, huh?
  • cctuttle
    hace 9 años
    Is the mirror you said was too big wider than the dresser? I like the picture vertical best...
  • madilyngreiner
    hace 9 años
    I like it best the last way you posted it. Are you going to hang it? I would. Very nice!
  • Denise Marchand
    hace 9 años
    Hi Gwen, If the art is signed, hang it the correct way. If not any way is good as you will be adding your own touch with a vase or boxes. I would still hang the two gold art with the brown matte-one on either side of the bed and add wall hanging sconces on either side also. Don't forget to add the bamboo roll up shade and more white sheer panels (unless you are going to add curtains over the sheers. I do very well on craigslist for curtains-they are so cheap and really nice. What happened to the idea of hanging the old door horizontally over the dresser? I liked that idea and it doesn't matter if it overhangs the dresser-just center it over the dresser.

Great job on the dressers! I still like what you did! Are you going to use the bench? I hope so. And add a green throw across the bottom of the bed. Don't forget, I'm coming!
  • Linda Fulcher
    hace 9 años
    Wow Gwen, your guest room is beautiful. It's been inspiring to see your vision unfold. Thanks for posting for us DIY type Houzzers .
  • sheilaskb
    hace 8 años

Since your furniture is a light color, I would suggest you go with a darker color for the walls. Then, I would suggest you find art work as an inspiration piece and choose colors for walls and accessories from that. A matching bedspread and curtain set would coordinate the room very well, but keep in mind the colors and patterns of the wall art you choose.

• Susan Davis
    hace 6 años

Is there a reason for the bed being under the window? Is there a longer wall or is this the dedicated wall you see when you enter the room.

Also might have missed this, but if you use the lovely print framed in black you might want to consider adding bits of black in the room so the print/frame can relate to something and not look lonely.....I see you have the black clock, maybe lamps or lampshades or knobs or baskets or vases, etc....room is rocking' cool.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.