Houzz Logo Print
alissong

Kitchen remodel, what a difference an island makes!

alissong
hace 9 años
Got rid of blah builder's grade cabinetry and added some color with recycled glass countertops and glass backsplash, and of course an island. Our 5-person family uses this all the time now, whether for school projects, cook/prep, or eating meals. We also added a built in desk area.

Comentarios (53)

• PRO
    Mary Porzelt of Boston Kitchen Designs
    hace 9 años
    It looks very nice! Enjoy!
    alissong agradeció a Mary Porzelt of Boston Kitchen Designs
  • PRO
    Comwest Construction
    hace 9 años
    looks nice, good job.
    alissong agradeció a Comwest Construction
  • Tyson Rabitsch
    hace 9 años
    I love that! Congradulations
    alissong agradeció a Tyson Rabitsch
  • jemimabean
    hace 9 años
    Really beautiful colors! Nicely done. I can't believe the difference.
    alissong agradeció a jemimabean
  • katushka13
    hace 9 años
    The backsplash is beautiful!!
    alissong agradeció a katushka13
  • alissong
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Thank you! Yes we wanted to allow for extra seating on that curved side. Project and all of the ideas would not have been possible without our wonderful kitchen designer! Highly recommend hiring one.
  • PRO
    Cast Glass Images Inc.
    hace 9 años
    Really love the glass backsplash and hanging lights. Nice added touch to the room. Great job on this!
    alissong agradeció a Cast Glass Images Inc.
  • Brandi Nash Hicks
    hace 9 años
    Add more trim to the top of the fridge wall and the desk and the cabinet by the back door,it looks like it was cut to short ...I think it should go to the ceiling ...also the legs on the desk look to week or little for the top of the desk ,maybe you could beef them up somehow
  • PRO
    SoCal Contractor
    hace 9 años
    Looks great!
    alissong agradeció a SoCal Contractor
  • gracey999
    hace 9 años
    Alissong - I love the fireplace! My fireplace has brick around it, does the brick have to come off? Also can you tell me what putting on the tile actually entailed, work wise? Thanks.
  • Susan
    hace 9 años
    Great remodel! Like everyone else, I love the backsplash! Everything ties in together very well. Nice job!
    alissong agradeció a Susan
  • Dixie Henrie
    hace 9 años
    Brandi, you can't always go to the ceiling on a remodel. The ceilings aren't level.
    alissong agradeció a Dixie Henrie
  • maxshindler
    hace 9 años
    I really like the cabinet you added on the side of the refrigerator!
    alissong agradeció a maxshindler
  • Pertinacious Hout
    hace 9 años
    Looks really good ! Clean and "airy" feel to it.
    alissong agradeció a Pertinacious Hout
  • nicolediane
    hace 9 años
    Why do some cabinets have normal molding on top and others have massively large over-sized molding?
  • alissong
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Gracy999: We had 12X12 tiles around the fireplace before (not brick) so we just removed those and put up the new ones, much like doing a backsplash. The difficult part was cutting the glass tiles at every edge.
  • Julie Baganski
    hace 9 años
    So clean looking! I love it. Great job!
    alissong agradeció a Julie Baganski
  • Dawn Sykes
    hace 9 años
    Love the built in around the refrigerator and the addition of the shelves. Great place to put cookbooks.
    alissong agradeció a Dawn Sykes
  • normaanne
    hace 9 años
    I notice that you added a storage/shelving section next to the refrigerator. Nice. Love the new kitchen and built-in desk area. Also, putting the backsplash around the fireplace was a great idea.
    alissong agradeció a normaanne
  • tradhome
    hace 9 años
    Love to have a built-in around my fridge! Company coming for wedding in one month...the carpenter needs to work fast!
  • Pam Moore
    hace 9 años
    Great job!
    alissong agradeció a Pam Moore
  • PRO
    AP MARBLE & GRANITE
    hace 9 años
    I love it how the colors opened up the space... it looks like e completely different face... the counters give so much life to the clean white cabinets... I believe the island is Vetrazzo Recycled Glass Surfaces perfect for this kitchen... Awesome!
    alissong agradeció a AP MARBLE & GRANITE
  • PRO
    K&N Appliance Gallery
    hace 9 años
    Hi!

Wow, that is quote the difference! very impressive; we love the white cabinetry.

-K&N Sales
    alissong agradeció a K&N Appliance Gallery
  • PRO
    Davida's Kitchen & Tiles
    hace 9 años
    This looks great! love the backsplash material! And the Fireplace surround looks excellent - what a nice contrast with the fiinish.
    alissong agradeció a Davida's Kitchen & Tiles
  • AllAmericanAmy
    hace 9 años
    beautiful! Where can I find that backsplash?? Love it!
    alissong agradeció a AllAmericanAmy
  • Jennifer Abbott
    hace 9 años
    Beautiful! What is the size of the kitchen? I'm thinking about adding an island but my kitchen may not be as wide as yours.
  • AllAmericanAmy
    hace 9 años
    hey jabbott2012: Not sure when you'll get your question answered - thought I'd chime in a thought... If the ceramic tiles are 12x12 (which is what they look TO ME), count the tiles across for your answer! :) I count 9 tiles from front edge of counter to opposite front edge of counter, so approx. 9 feet. Maybe lol I tried.
  • Jennifer Abbott
    hace 9 años
    Thanks Amy! Smart idea on your part :)
  • alissong
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    AllAmericanAmy, thank you-yes 12X12 tiles so about 9'. Also, the tiles are from Lunada Bay Tile, http://www.lunadabaytile.com/LBT_glass.html
  • AllAmericanAmy
    hace 9 años
    Thanks alissong for the answer! It's always so refreshing when someone posts a project then actually ANSWERS the questions! You ROCK! :)
  • lmont324
    hace 9 años
    LOVE this...I really want to know how you managed to get it done in 2 months??
    alissong agradeció a lmont324
  • grobby
    hace 9 años
    Beautiful. Really like the book case cabinet on side of fridge.
    alissong agradeció a grobby
  • lchartrand59
    hace 9 años
    Did you paint your cabinets? What is the make of your stove?
  • alissong
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    @ lchartrand59--No we didn't paint the cabinets, they came in that Pearl color from Diamond Cabinetry and the stove is an Electrolux Induction with separate oven at the bottom as well.
  • wenpano
    hace 8 años
    Do you like the cabinets? Are they good quality?
  • alissong
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Yes, over a year later and still LOVE the Diamond cabinets-excellent quality.

• wenpano
    hace 8 años
    Thanks so much for the fast response.! What style and color are the cabinets? They look great!
  • PRO
    arch_regie
    hace 8 años

nice ;)

• alissong
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Color is some type of pearl white, here's the link to our kitchen designer Heidi and our actual project she photographed, she would definitely be able to give you more info:

http://www.houzz.com/projects/698684/sea-glass-white

• PRO
    User
    hace 8 años

Love the island!

• PRO
    M&R Custom Millwork Inc
    hace 8 años

Great remodel love the backsplash.

• PRO
    Ridge Carpentry LLC
    hace 8 años

The crown moldings are way to big for that desk area.

• PRO
    Kristi
    hace 8 años
    Kitchen and remodel looks great you really did a great job. The island is a wonderful addition and am sure provides much counter space. I will honestly say I am not a fan of the paint color on the walls. Everything is in the cool color family then all of a sudden a warm yellowish tan color... Kind of clashes.
  • PRO
    Shake It Up! Business Solutions
    hace 8 años

Gorgeous!!

• PRO
    Fortress General Construction
    hace 8 años

The curve in the island is a nice feature.

• PRO
    Amanda Carol Interiors
    hace 8 años

Such a transformation.

• PRO
  • Casandra383 Dean
    hace 8 años
    Is the island top Vetrazzo? How is it holding up? I can't find any information on durability.
  • alissong
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Yes Vetrazzo and we LOVE it. It does stain fairly easily with anything red (ketchup, hot sauce) but we've been able to get the stain out pretty well. If you look really closely you can see it but the pattern of the glass, shells, etc is so intricate that you really don't notice any stains. Highly recommend!

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.