Houzz Logo Print
tkpain

Should my cabinets be a lighter color?

hace 9 años
We bought a builder ready house. We have lived in it for almost 2 yrs, and I am finding the kitchen area a bit dark. We have dark floors, dark cabinets and black granite counter tops. We lightened up the paint with Aura paint Sea Salt, and added glass and marble backsplash (white and greys) to help lighten up the space but it just doesn't seem to help much. The big question, should I have the cabinets painted a lighter color and if so which color should they be?? Thanks for any input.

Comentarios (5)

• hace 9 años
    I'd address the lighting first. Most kitchens don't have enough anyway, and with dark finishes this is especially true here. Add under cabinet lighting, and recessed wallwashers that light up the front of your wall cabinets. The pendants shown are mostly ecorative and don't provide enough lumens to really light the space. Change those out as well. For the bar area, I'd consider a single fixtire with multiple lights rather than 3 individual lights. For the sink, a recessed light or two. Too many things hanging from the ceiling are working against you here.

You can always paint, but you can't always strip and go back to the warmth of wood.
    tkpain agradeció a User
  • PRO
    hace 9 años
    I concur with Sophie's suggestions. If that still doesn't give you what you're looking for, you could consider repainting only the upper cabinets in the space in a lighter colour. Such as Benjimin Moore, Cloud White (the colour code depends on your country - Canada and USA have different codes). Not sure what's happening in the adjacent rooms, but Cloud White could be a nice warm neutral white. You could use the same paint finish as the lowers.

If you have a contact with a local Millworker (cabinet) company, request they do up a sample for you to hold up in your room. Stand back and assess.

Good luck!
    tkpain agradeció a TALI+ROCHE designs
  • hace 9 años
    As a realtor and decorator, I have long predicted that dark cabinetry will go the same way as dark cabinetry from the 80's...people will start painting cabinets like crazy so this lady's comments don't surprise me. But here's what I can contribute...try having glass insets installed into the upper cabinet doors. Painting cabinets always looks like painted cabinets but the glass will not only showcase interesting dishes but will make the kitchen appear larger and is considered an upgrade to the kitchen. Painting new cabinetry like you are considering will depreciate the value of the home. Everyone likes glass inset doors. Dory Cameron, Broker and Certified Home Stager
    tkpain agradeció a camerdo
  • PRO
    hace 9 años
    Your kitchen is beautiful, I wouldn't suggest painting your cabinets. I think the wall colour is a nice choice and the backsplash you added is also perfect. Perhaps you need to just tweak at few things that would help lighten up the area. Do you have under cabinet lighting? If you don't, maybe that's all that missing here. The lightning over the window may not be sufficient enough for the space. Perhaps a higher lighting fixture, such as a track would radiate more light and brighten things up in this work area. What about just adding more lighter coloured accent pieces in your decor, such as an off white colour for your floor rug, etc? Another trick is in your cabinet door hardware, I have similar cabinets but my nickel hardware is a little larger and they seem to reflect more light. Anyways, these are just easy simple ideas instead of painting. Hope it all goes well!!
    tkpain agradeció a Colour Consulting by Leanne
  • PRO
    hace 9 años
    More light and glass doors will have a very positive effect.
    tkpain agradeció a Patricia Colwell Consulting
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.