Houzz Logo Print
salvageartisan1

NEED PICS & IDEAS FOR A INDUSTRIAL/MODERN OVERHANG

SalvageArtisan
hace 12 años
Going with a loft/industrial farmhouse style for the house we're remodeling.

I've been noticing a lot of overhangs that are supported not by posts, but by brackets mounted ABOVE on the side of the building. A lot of midcentury warehouses/storefronts use this, as well as new styled restaurants and apartments but I CAN'T find what they're really called, and can't find pictures.

I'm going to have them custom made for my house, thinking about a galvanized or aluminum look. Do you know what to call an overhang like this? Any suggestions?

Comentarios (11)

• lefty47
    hace 12 años
    yes, Kelly is right -- it is an AWNING - overhang Go with galvanized - it will give you the look you will be happy with and will weather better. What are you doing for the siding and finishes etc.? I love the old brick in the one picture !
  • SalvageArtisan
    Autor original
    hace 12 años
    Well the rest of the house has fairly new white vinyl siding (ugh) but we're freshening it up with galvanized accents and lots of "vapor tight" lights. And of course the awnings. Planning on using long grey dry stacked stone as some accents on the deck and porches. The roof is beautiful original slate and that helps make up for the vinyl =) eventually we might brick the outside with weathered brick but it'll have to wait for now...
  • SalvageArtisan
    Autor original
    hace 12 años
    If you get a chance, check out my other postings for this remodel...I need some ideas!
  • SalvageArtisan
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Hey guys!

Thought I'd post some updates & maybe start another thread for some color ideas!

Starting to get burned out & I need some inspiration. Anything you'd love to see on a farmhouse/industrial/loft style farmhouse????

p.s. I'm having the overhang/awnings custom made out of galvanized metal with sturdy metal turnbuckles and brackets attaching them to the wall. So...still have to use your imagination to fill in where they will be (see drawing at top of original post)
  • PRO
    The Van Deusen Company, Inc.
    hace 11 años
    one of my favorites is galvanized wire panels, called 'pig panels' around here. you can use them for stair sides, hang them from the ceiling or use them as wall portals. You can find them in any farm supply store. cheap and very cool.
  • PRO
    Cawood Architecture, PLLC
    hace 11 años
    my two cents---I would not use the awning tension wires on the balcony-they compete with the horizontal line of the balcony railing-or if you do use them, integrate them into the railing and use that to inform your railing baluster pattern. i would also decrease the depth of the balcony joists-look at metal joists that are very thin to give that modern look--say 6" of total height.

very nice elevation proportion, and i like the lowering of pitch from upper to lower gable.
  • SalvageArtisan
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Hey guys, thanks for your input!!

Van Duesen Co - Yes I have thought of hog panels! And have considered using them for our deck railing, although I also like the thin cable style railing.

William - Have a question...what I want to emphasize IS the angled tension rod. I wish the balcony didn't have to have railing (which of course isn't possible).

I'm planning on using thick beefy threaded rod with a large turnbuckle. The top "loop" will be welded to another thick threaded rod that will go ALL THE WAY through the wall and have a large square washer and nut visible on the other side.

Inside the house, there is a prominent opening where we took out a wall leading into the kitchen. I exposed all the old, thick floor joists (will leave open) and put a huge barn beam across the opening for a beam. (9" x 9") Had steel I-beams (4" x 8") made up into posts for each side of the opening. They will lay flat against the wall, and will fasten top and bottom with brackets welded to them, and against the wall with an evenly spaced row of 5 large 1 1/4" head lag bolts. Had everything sandblasted and then finished with 2 coats of drying oil.

So, as you can see...doing everything beefy, but simple. In light of that...do you have any more ideas for railing etc.???

Here they incorporated support more like you were saying:

Port Orchard Residence 05 · Más información

Feldman Architecture · Más información

Want to capture this kind of simple, rugged, "loft" style look:

Franklin Street Loft - Family Room · Más información

Industrial Staircase · Más información
  • SalvageArtisan
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    And some more:

Here is a STARBUCKS that I really liked the overhang style, although would do it in galvanized or grey.
  • PRO
    Cawood Architecture, PLLC
    hace 11 años
    salvage-for railings you can look at classic 1x1 square tube top with cable railing infill, where the tube integrated with the turn buckle, or look at glass panels instead of cable railing-i would sit with sketchup and just start generating railing detail elevations, looking for that right pattern. in general, its around idea 15-20 that it all starts working. you could also try a variation of diagonal or chippendale railing out of painted metal tubing, or laser cut steel plate.

Bonnie Road Residence · Más información
  • PRO
    Dark Metal Machine Works
    hace 9 años
    How is this project coming along? We specialize in the creation of industrial furniture, please take a look at my acct for some pretty cool ideas. Hope the industrial home is going well!

Joe
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.