Houzz Logo Print
sheilamae57

Did I make a mistake here?

sheilamae57
hace 9 años
After 22 years of antique white Formica I was finally able to make some changes and I am afraid I may have just made another mistake. The granite is Santa st cecelia dark and. The backsplash is emser trav vino tumbled gold. I chose to use a color enhancing sealer and think now I shouldn't have. Your thoughts please.

Comentarios (80)

• csevene
    hace 9 años
    I think it's fine .. Try putting a few of those 'coppery' colored items on the counter..looks like they pull counter, backsplash and cupboards together.
    Agree, replacing hardware on cupboards.
  • Linda H
    hace 9 años
    I love it too! I have something very similar.. Venetian gold granite with a Scabos tumbled travertine. But YOU must love it. IMO, who cares if it's "out of style? " This is a huge change from what you had before. I think the advice to live with it for awhile is a good one. Don't give in to the trend setters! It looks great!
  • mjdeutsch
    hace 9 años
    It looks so much better just with the change in hardware!! The yellow in the back splash seems to be bringing out a yellow in the counter top. But I agree with the others who say to give it time. Maybe you'll never love it but you may find it's nicer than you first thought.
  • jergens1211
    hace 9 años
    I would just bite the bullit and change the backsplash to something plain . That counter deserves all the attention
  • This is... my last project... Maybe.
    hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años
    Live with it for a while. You'll find you can get used to anything but if you cannot, get a simpler back splash. Cost? You'd be surprised at how good some stick on tile looks in this digital age. Seriously cannot tell some vinyl plank tile from the real deal sometimes but I am NOT suggesting vinyl plank look.
    When you go to tile the floor please choose a neutral without a lot of pattern/variation. Go with large close set tiles if possible with minimal grout lines and grout the same color as the tiles. When yo go to the tile store take the floor area to be tiled with measurements. The professional will help you decide if any pattern (not tile style bu tlayout pattern) works well with your layout. A good tile store will have differnet areas laid with different patterns. Take this pic of your granite and back splash and cabinetry. then spend some time imaging the whole thing in your head for days before signing on to anything.
    Removing tile is extremely dusty so seal the area extremely well with heavy plastic and tape. Make the workers wear masks.
  • flyr4fun
    hace 9 años
    I don't think the backsplash goes well with the granite, it's too yellow and bit too busy. If you liked it before you color enhanced/sealed it, then it may be fixable depending on what sealer you used. There are companies that can re surface travertine by grinding/polishing a very thin layer off the surface, which may get rid of your sealer. If not, it's not that big a deal to redo the backsplash. Disappointing, yes, but you should have something you really, really, like at the end of the day. If you don't like it, spend the couple hundred bucks and redo.
  • bgfuqua
    hace 9 años
    I like your new look, it looks real and natural.
  • bbowers35
    hace 9 años
    I don't think the backsplash goes well with that granite :(
  • Pooh Bear
    hace 9 años
    I am in not in the habit of not liking something ...or at least putting it in print..especially when someone took the time to share...but since you asked...yes...a better choice could have been made.
  • User
    hace 9 años
    You've received some very encouraging comments. I agree with the post about living with it for a while.
  • Meet Me at the Wrecking Ball
    hace 9 años
    Put away that unnecessarily cute basket of coffee filters and update your cabinet hardware to a brushed silver or pewter handle. The counter and backsplash are fine--your cabinet hardware is throwing things off in there.
  • User
    hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años
    I gotta say, I like this combination you have ;) I would add black hardware to the cabinets. Rest arrow on pic to enlarge.
    Case Design/Remodeling, Inc. · Más información
  • PRO
    Cure Design Group
    hace 9 años
    Are you questioning the color palette for the decision to u the color enhancing sealer?
  • Claisabel I
    hace 9 años
    Change the hardware to oil-rubbed finish and add a splash of color on top of the granite with some colorful kitchen accessories.
  • makaloco
    hace 9 años
    This is hard for me, because I absolutely love the backsplash! On my computer it looks too gold for your granite, which seems to have rose or peach tones, especially in the first photo. But in the third photo (with the copper accessories) it doesn't look bad at all, so maybe wait for a bit as others have suggested to see how it grows on you. For the floor, a slate gray might be nice to pick up the pattern in the granite. Terra cotta (e.g., saltillo) would look good as well but may be warmer overall than you want to go.
  • sheilamae57
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Cure design, I chose the tile and had it installed then decided to use the color enhancing sealer. Too much color. I should have left it alone. Before the sealer , the colors were all still there, only muted and softer. We still have hardware to replace and the kitchen floor. If after some time the very gold of the tile continues to bother me, we will change it. The tile by itself is really very pretty and i have always liked the Santa cecelia granite. The two of them together just didn't come together as I had hoped. It's not terrible, my husband likes it but something about it just keeps niggling at my brain. (It's funny, looking at the granite alone all I saw were the gold tones, now with the tile,the paler gray and putty tones seem to be more dominate.) I very much appreciate all of the comments given here and am learning with every post. You can be sure that I will be very careful when choosing the floor tile.
  • Ruthie
    hace 9 años
    wow...surely you're feeling that pit in your stomach with the choices you made and the money you spent. In my opinion, it's too late to go back and change those expensive decisions. If it were me, and I was "stuck with it"...I would start by painting your cabinetry. The color just brings out the gold, copper colors you have going on in your counter and backsplash. I'd paint them a warm ivory to bring out the creamy colors in the granite. Also, I would add a piece of trim along the base of the backsplash to separate it from the granite. both lovely choices, but together...not working. Maybe the trim is a "finishing tile" in an ivory color that would match your painted cabinetry. I think dividing the two will help. Look for bold, monochromatic accessories for countertop! Busy granite, so think simple! Good luck
  • Joyce E
    hace 9 años
    I like the new cabinet hardware you show in the third picture you posted later in the thread!
  • maisonmonceau
    hace 9 años
    Was just watching "Sandwich King" with Jeff Mauro on The Food Network. His kitchen? Wood cabinets, rectangular tan travertine backsplash and a patterned granite countertop. So much like yours!!! You're in good company.
  • marywashington
    hace 9 años
    I actually think your kitchen is nicer Shelia mae57!
  • jergens1211
    hace 9 años
    His backsplash is sliced marble and is one colour
  • flopsycat1
    hace 9 años
    If anyone should change his backsplash it's Jeff Mauro! Way too busy with a row of accent tile between those intentionally unlevel tiles. How can you ever get the grease out of that? And granite that jars the brain. Sheilamae, yours is fine, especially with the new, simpler hardware in the later photo. Relax, don't sweat it and enjoy your new kitchen.
  • sheilamae57
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Thank you. Painting the cabinets are not an option. We like them and we like the granite. The addition of the backsplash has thrown me. It is not terrible but I don't just love it and I really want too. As I see it my options are live with my backsplash for a while as many have wisely suggested or change that 30 sq ft of tile. I will go ahead and change the hardware and start looking at floor tile, keeping in mind what I have read here. And yes, I am quite familiar with that sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach as many of us that try to do this ourselves have felt at one time or another. At least this morning I didn't burst into tears when I came into the room. Like mom used to say, live and learn. I do know that I will continue to search for the perfect backsplash material and again, thanks to everyone for the comments.
  • sheilamae57
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Have attached photos of the adjoining rooms. Not sure if the backsplash style(?) fits. I am getting more used to the tile but still think it will need to be changed at some point. I am shopping today for a stainless refrigerator.
  • marywashington
    hace 9 años
    beautiful rooms and I still like your backsplash. I have to disagree with comment on cleaning them. Mine are very easy to clean with just some water on a sponge. Is the wallpaper border a new feature in your kitchen?
  • shars55
    hace 9 años
    Lin.....most things go out of style at some point, even quartz. The tradespeople will come up with something new to foist upon all of us. This is how they make money.
  • sheilamae57
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Thank you marywashington. The wallpaper has been up for a great many years. Removing it is one of my next projects.
  • PRO
    Circle Goods Reclaimed
    hace 9 años
    Honestly I love the backs splash, looks like you have under cabinet lighting. I might have considered a more dull finish on the counter but I'm not a huge granite guy. However, it's obviously cheaper to do backsplash. Keep it a few months and see if it grows on you!
  • auntiebuzzybee
    hace 9 años
    Sheila, please clarify...was the solution that was put on your backsplash a sealer or "colour enhancer"? And what is a colour enhancer? For the tiles and the grout? Have you spoken to anyone about how to remove it or use another shade over it? Any tile shop for advice or the manufacturer of the product you used? I'm hoping you could simply put another coat of another tint to tone down the yellow or if there is a sealant remover...I'm simply asking simple by comparison to you removing and replacing it. I do think think this is so much more classic than some glass tiles or anything. Other than in these photos on my monitor ( which are not accurate) that it looks a bit yellow I think its fine fine fine. Of course now your floor tiles look quite pink and that makes the other look more yellow also. That's why this whole thing never stops once you start!!! : ) sure glad you're not crying anymore!!! Please don't cry!
  • sheilamae57
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Bsellars. The color enhancing product was a color enhancing penetrating sealer made by DuPont. My choices were bulletproof which would not change the color in anyway and the enhancing sealer which brought out all the color.
  • sheilamae57
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Bsellers1394. (I got your id wrong in the last post) I'm no longer crying and am getting quite used to the backsplash. The floor tile is next to go as well as the hardware. The braided rug is a maybe stay as much as I love it and the kitchen chairs will be replaced with maybe an armless wicker? And the table base will be painted a color to be determined later.
  • PRO
    M&I Design Group
    hace 9 años
    I would change the backsplash.
  • marjariitta
    hace 9 años
    I actually like the backsplash and the granite. Your kitchen is warm and inviting - I don't think you made a mistake. There is a certain charm in imperfection :).
  • gtcircus
    hace 9 años
    Yes, I agree, the backsplash is fine with the countertop. I'd contemplate paint or glaze on the cabinets (grey) and new cabinet hardware. I personally think the stone is fine. What I think detracts from the choice are the not crazy oak cabinet color.
  • sheilamae57
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Auntiebuzzybee. The pulls were actually from lowes. The beverly pull. There are knobs in the same finish as well.
  • auntiebuzzybee
    hace 9 años
    Hey sheilamae57, I am so glad you are adjusting to the newness of your kitchen look. I think it's very nice AND let me add that I am glad you are NOT PAINTING your cabinets. They are really nice just as they are. Let us know how things are going as to finding a new floor, if that is your next goal. I like your cabinets. I like your backsplash. I like your handles and your hinges are fine. GOOD JOB. ( The floors will be soooo much dust, oooh nooo! )
  • Toni McCormick
    hace 8 años

sheilamae57, I have the same problem w backsplash/granite clashing. My husband played the "I don't have input" card and as a result picked out beautiful tile and granite--just not together! To further sensory overload (IMO) are the bamboo cabinets! When I tried to suggest a neutral backsplash he said he thought it would be boring! After 10 yrs. I've accepted it; our friends graciously exclaim on how wonderful the kitchen came out! I wish I had the knowledge and materials then (after Katrina in NO) that are at my fingertips today! I have learned to love the look and most importantly my husband is able to tell everyone HE picked the tile/counter out! Somewhere on Houzz someone contributed an article why we tend to react negatively to remodels! I wish I could remember where and when!

• alicejean
    hace 8 años
    I like it. It just may be the change that is bothering you. I would update the hardware and play with accessories until you are pleased.
  • rocketjcat
    hace 8 años
    Old post from 2014. But I agree I like the combination.
  • Tonia Tussey
    hace 8 años
    I think it looks very pretty.
  • sheilamae57
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Thank you. I have gotten used to it.
  • Donna Bercovitch
    hace 8 años
    I would use simple subway tile in a light tan colour and matching grout close together.
  • pitbulls
    hace 8 años

OLD POST

• jejones2005
    hace 8 años

Who cares if it's an old post...I am getting ready to do something like this, with herringbone travertine and Santa C. I wasn't going to take the time to seal first, but now I will to see how dark or yellow it goes. Have the same type of enhancer & a plain sealer. Thank you for posting!

• Jody
    hace 8 años
    I realize this is an old post but I just wanted to comment anyway. I love what you chose. Don't second guess yourself! It is both rustic and beautiful!
  • Rebecca Hicks
    hace 8 años

I worked in the tile industry for many years and have designed many a backsplash. I don't see a problem here. It looks just fine.

• Joel Selph
    hace 7 años
    I think that it looked better before the enhanced sealer but it still looks pretty. I am about to put enhanced sealer on mine to make it darker. The grout turned out to be at least 2 shades lighter than the sample. So I am hoping that the enhanced sealer will darken the grout as well as the marble.
  • jillian_young58
    hace 7 años
    I like it!
  • Emily Heinzel
    hace 5 años

It's just a little too yellow. Try a colored wash or transparent paint (you'd have to ask a professional) that will lighten and take away the yellow - like a light purple. Yellow + Purple should equal some type of brown. Do some samples first!!!

• PRO
    Valter and Anna fon Eynik
    hace 5 años

I think, there are a little more dots. Maybe better to replace backsplash for the straight color, probably white.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.