Houzz Logo Print
marta1s

How would you spend $10k to improve this kitchen?

MMS
hace 9 años
I would love to hear you advice! We are finally ready to tackle this kitchen that we are not in love with. The "orangish" tone of the cabinets bothered us since we moved in, but there were other priorities. Now we are considering painting it the cabinets. But there are so many questions... Color - stark white won't work, but should we go with an off white similar to the trim, or do we go a little tad darker? Glaze or not - we are trying to modernize the old world look where we feasible (i.e. we would change the banisters of the spiral staircase but that's too expensive) so we're leaning toward no glaze, but will they look cheap? Glass fronts - we're thinking about adding some glass fronts, would it look good to add only on top of the sink? Finally, to tie up the look, what else should we do? We could leave the island as is or paint it to match (or contrasting). We could also change the backsplash. We could add more $ and change the tropical brown granite in the outside countertops, but the granite is, of course, in good shape. We could spend even a little more, although not sure it's worth it, to change to a built in fridge. I hate that because I love our fridge, but sometimes is form over function. Any thoughts are much appreciated.

Comentarios (342)

• Grace Reed
    hace 9 años
    That's exciting and I can't wait to see it. Love the idea of the gray island. Maybe in your favorite gray?
  • PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    hace 9 años
    I'm glad things are moving along now!
  • MMS
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Well, we chickened out on the gray and we decided to go all creamy white. We haven't seen the doors yet, the painter will spray sprayed them this week. There is so much dust in the house it's ridiculous. The sheetrock under the backsplash is gone, the guy said he couldn't remove the tiles only. We bought a few samples of tiles but didn't like any there. Hopefully when we have sheetrock installed and at least the cabinet shells painted, we can get other samples and tape them up to the wall to get a better idea.
  • birdsong22
    hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años
    It does really help to have the cabinets the color you want them before deciding on a backsplash. I went to 5 tile stores before I found what I wanted, and ended up changing the accent tiles at the last minute as they were just too close in color to the cabinets, rather than a complement. It turned out great- they just finished our kitchen backsplash last Fri. I ended up buying from 4 different tile stores for all our tile- we do have a lot of tile- so while I may not have gotten the very best deal, I got exactly the right tile for each of the rooms. It's hard to be patient, but as you said, let them get things a bit farther along before you feel you have to decide. Tile can be one of the last things they do.
  • The big house
    hace 9 años
    Hi Marta,
    Happened upon these tiles. Loved the vertical installation.
    Doing a kitchen is like childbirth. Once you see the result it's all worthwhile and you forget the struggles.
    Can't wait to see the finished product.
    MMS agradeció a The big house
  • PRO
    Interior Affairs -- Vickie Daeley
    hace 9 años
    new lighting, new fabric for barstools, new paint,
  • MMS
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Hi all! We are a little over half way there. Pretty bummed out because SW did a very bad job in the color match, but maybe we will get used to it soon. The tile should be arrive in 2 weeks, we chose a hand made ceramic subway tile, with a little bit of color variation, mostly off white. We also need to change hardware, and we are between bronze or satin nickel. We found a barstool that we liked, but it's the wrong wood color. The cabinet painter has one to try to paint. I'm keeping my fingers crossed it works.
  • Lia
    hace 9 años
    Looks fantastic!! What color did you choose? Looks liKe a soft white?
    MMS agradeció a Lia
  • MMS
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Thank you Lia. We wanted to match the trim, my husband took a door from the basement painted with the same color of the trim, and took it to the SW store. But it did not match... The trim color is creamier. They gave us a whiter color. I think what they gave us is very similar do Dover White.
  • Lia
    hace 9 años
    I have Dover white!! I think any creamier would have been to yellow!
    I can't wait to see your backsplash:) I have been following this thread since the beginning!
    MMS agradeció a Lia
  • MMS
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    I'm glad you think the Dover white works. I guess we are just too picky. The backsplash tile is called Pearl Ash, from a company called Mediterra. I think we won't decide on the hardware until we have the backsplash installed. Stay tuned ;)
  • MMS
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    I meant picky about the match, not the color. The color looks great, but it just doesn't match the rest of the trim 100%
  • Lia
    hace 9 años
    Good luck! I look forward to seeing it:)
    MMS agradeció a Lia
  • soto01
    hace 9 años
    WOW!!!! Marta1s! It looks Fantastic!!! Amazing job!!! You and your husband must LOVE it!
    MMS agradeció a soto01
  • Sina Fattizzo
    hace 9 años
    Your home is gorgeous! What about a concept like this it would be the opposite and just resurface the cabinets.
    MMS agradeció a Sina Fattizzo
  • PRO
    hace 9 años
    For your cabinet hardware, brushed nickel would give you a more updated look than ORB which seems to be fading rapidly in popularity. It will also blend nicely with your appliances.

Don't worry about your pendant lighting being a darker color. Lighting can vary in color from the rest of the metals in the kitchen.
    MMS agradeció a Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
  • PRO
    hace 9 años
    You should definitely complain to SW if they did a bad color match. They may (and should) be willing to replace the paint.
  • MMS
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Thank you Carolyn! It's like you read our minds :) We were concerned about the pendant lights being bronze, but we figured that the lighting can be different. We would just need to change the faucet. We are leaning toward brushed nickel, and to change the knobs to all pulls. And we also thought about complaining to SW... I just touched up a piece of the baseboard in the bathroom and it's definitely not matching 100%. I'll look again tomorrow after it dries out well. But what will SW do? Even if they replace the paint, it's not like we will pay the painter another $5K and go through the disruption again. What is your experience with paint matching? Can you touch up something that was painted 2 years ago with a "match" and be satisfied?
  • MMS
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Ah! And we will buy a frame door for the corner cabinet, get the painter to spray it and put seeded glass in it. KItchenCraft still makes the same doors.
  • stryker
    hace 9 años
    Marta, go back up to your post in early July with your dream (or mutual inspiration) kitchen picture. I commented I liked the dark hardware with the white (I was jeanstryker back then) and you said you did too--it goes with other elements of your house like the lights and stair rail. I still vote for dark hardware.

I like the way your kitchen's coming together!
  • stryker
    hace 9 años
    Is the trim around the doorway darker than the cabinetry? If so, does it look bad that way? It looks fine in the picture.
  • MMS
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Good point Jen! I just looked at that again and the dark hardware looks so beautiful. We will wait until te backsplash is in to decide.
  • MMS
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    And yes, the trim is a little darker, there's some richness in it, but you can't notice in the picture. It's minor, not a big difference, but enough that you can tell it's not the same. It doesn't show in the picture, does it?
  • stryker
    hace 9 años
    The thing with paint color is that it can be EXACTLY the same and look very different depending on the angle of light or surface (or a zillion other things). I have walls I would never believe were the same color. So I guess what I'm saying is, if it doesn't look bad, don't worry about it. Even matching doesn't match at times.
    MMS agradeció a stryker
  • Kennedy Flack
    hace 9 años
    Love the layout and that staircase! It seems your style is more sleek and modern than what your kitchen portrays. I would paint the cabinets a dark grey almost black and update the backsplash to a white subway tile in a herringbone pattern. Something like the attached photos. This will make the whole space more modern and sleek but also keeping in the traditional characteristics. Hope this helps!!
    MMS agradeció a Kennedy Flack
  • PRO
    hace 9 años
    If you want dark hardware on the cabinets, I suggest black, not ORB.
    Greenbrier Home- 2013 · Más información
  • The big house
    hace 9 años
    Waiting for the backsplash to comment on the pulls. The paint looks fine. Such a nice change from the "orange"
    Shiny chrome is back in for faucets.....just one more option for the updated look. I think the brushed nickel is timeless. Keep us posted. I see Mr. Is keeping up nicely with the light polishing!
    MMS agradeció a The big house
  • MMS
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    LOL, thebighouse169, poor hubby hasn't a chance to clean up the lights like he used to. Photos are deceiving ;) You guys won't believe it, but at the same time that we were having the cabinets painted, our 2 year old Samsung fridge broke and the ice maker continued trying to make ice, flooded the kitchen floor and the water went to the basement. A disaster. Now we're having the sheetrock and carpet put back in the basement so even taping plastic at the bottom of the stairs, the dust makes it way to the kitchen. So the lights have to wait to be shiny again. The fridge and freezer are working but the technician still can't make the ice maker work, even after replacing so many parts. And tonight it just started leaking water again. Bye to the new sheetrock in the basement. At least my husband just ripped off the new sheet rock and we won't need Servpro in our house again. Looks like I'll swap posting on Houzz to some consumer advocate lawyer board if Lowes extended warranty can't get this fixed. I hope not!
  • MMS
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    And on the color: I stopped at SW to buy the trim color for the basement work, and talked to them about the bad match the painter got from them. They said it's up to the client to accept the color. And I understand what they are saying. They did 2 tries and compared to the piece of trim I had there. None were good, so they kept the trim there and will try again until it's a perfect match and I'll buy the paint tomorrow. Advice for people trying to paint cabinets to match an existing color in the house: Go to the paint store yourselves, work with the guys there until you get the right match. Don't make a $5K mistake like we did. One potential solution, my husband wonders, is to paint the crown on the wall above the cabinets and the door frame to the dining room with the cabinet paint. We may try that.
  • PRO
    hace 9 años
    Oh, Marta, I'm so very sorry to hear about your ice maker problems, in addition to the paint situation! I agree that painting nearby trim the new white color could be a solution.
  • MMS
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Such an incredibly frustrating process, but it's coming along, don't you think? The tile guy started putting in the backsplash today (Sunday...).
  • Grace Reed
    hace 9 años
    Marta, it's looking great. Good point about checking the paint color yourself. Maybe the painter could learn to have the customer approve it before it's on. BTW, I work with appliances and I hear about serious issues with Samsung refrigerators ALL the time. Good luck!
  • PRO
    hace 9 años
    How fortunate you are to find someone to do the work for you on the weekend. I'm happy to hear that maybe things are now turning your way. Best wishes for a happy kitchen!
  • Lia
    hace 9 años
    Marta, I am so so happy for you!!! I have the same nightmare refrigerator!
  • MMS
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Lowes is "buying back" the extended warranty, meaning they are not going to try to fix it, but paid for all attempted repairs so far and they are now paying back for the refrigerator, so we can buy a new one. We need to do a lot of research before buying. Now we are more interested in getting the kitchen finally completed! I'll post more pictures tomorrow night.
  • MMS
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Lowes is "buying back" the extended warranty, meaning they are not going to try to fix it, but paid for all attempted repairs so far and they are now paying back for the refrigerator, so we can buy a new one. We need to do a lot of research before buying. Now we are more interested in getting the kitchen finally completed! I'll post more pictures tomorrow night.
  • PRO
    hace 9 años
    I'm glad to hear that Lowes is doing a buy back for you.
  • MMS
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    We should have the grout done today. I can't wait to get back home. And in the photo you'll see the new hardware in the bottom cabinets. We decided to go stainless and a new satin nickel faucet will be installed on Friday.
  • MMS
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Sneak peak
  • tgb1
    hace 9 años
    Beautiful!
    MMS agradeció a tgb1
  • PRO
    hace 9 años
    Cool backsplash!
  • MMS
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    the backsplash turned out to be my favorite part, I don't know how to describe it, it looks so "organic", the color variation and the imperfections of the hand making process make it really interesting.
  • stryker
    hace 9 años
    Happy Halloween!
    MMS agradeció a stryker
  • MMS
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    What do you think?
  • PRO
    hace 9 años
    It looks wonderful, Marta, and you should be very proud of the decisions you have made!
    Well done!
  • Grace Reed
    hace 9 años
    Absolutely gorgeous, Marta! Well done!
    MMS agradeció a Grace Reed
  • MMS
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    A few more after pictures that we took last night, and the corresponding before. We still want to add a glass door to the corner cabinet, and change the trim above the sink.
  • MMS
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    one more
  • MMS
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Thank you all who took some of your time to come here and help us with the decisions, your advice and suggestions were very much appreciated and helped get to where we are. Thank you!!!
  • stryker
    hace 9 años
    Congratulations! Nice and bright!
    MMS agradeció a stryker
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.