Houzz Logo Print
bubbles0208

Cherry Floors -- Keep, Stain, or Replace?

bubbles0208
hace 9 años
última modificación:hace 9 años
Hi everyone, we recently bought our 1st home, and are having a flooring dilemma! We have these brazilian cherry floors (house is 15 years old) on the main floor which includes the Kitchen, formal living room, and family room. The attached pictures are the current owner's furniture - we will be purchasing all new furniture, so please disregard.

We are looking to install hardwood floors on the top floor (bedrooms) as well, so hardwood floors on the main floor (attached pics) and the upstairs.

While the cherry floors are in good shape, we're not sure about keeping them only because I think red floors are a challenge to decorate/work with over wood colored floors. So, we're wondering the following:

- Stain - we've had a couple of flooring guys come to check our options for staining, and if we stain, it would be darker. However, with darker floors, it seems like scratches and dust is a lot more visible. Would you guys agree? Are they harder to maintain? Also, once we stain, and since cherry floors change color with exposure to light, would that mean we'd have to re-stain a few years later?
- Replace - If staining the wood costs just as much as replacing, we think we may go that route. Seems better to just replace them for oak or walnut floors, instead of staining and having to re-stain later?
- Keep - this would be the most cost-effective, however, red floors are a challenge to work with in terms of decoration (I think) if we have it all over the house? As you can see, our kitchen has a LOT of brown/red and I just don't like that. Also, we will likely have an area rug in the family room, so would that affect the colors of the floors over time (i.e. for those parts that are exposed to the sunlight vs. those that are under the rug)?

We're torn on what to do, so I would love if anyone who has personal experience with Brazilian cherry to give your input. Other feedback is also appreciated! Thank you!!

Comentarios (309)

• Lisa Dipiro
    hace 2 años

Sookmomof4 can you tell me where you got your round table chairs and bench? Looking for similar

• Katie Boudreau
    hace 2 años

Lucille are you trying to decide? we also are trying to decide what stain to go with. i do like the look of the darker stain in your houses!! however we have maple cabinets, so it is an over abundance of wood/hardly any white. i will not paint my cabinets white, i had a white kitchen once and with three boys it didnt work out so well! haha. so we would like to stick to a medium/gray tone, i like the white oak look! would love to see that in a bigger space. does anyone have photos? this is what we are working with….walls are now light pewter, looking to upday backsplash as well.

• mnmamax3
    hace 2 años

@Katie Boudreau Beautiful kitchen! I wouldn't change those cabinets either! For us I found the dark floors to just be a base for anything else we wanted to do. I think you could go with a nice off-white on your backsplash and walls to really brighten up any darkness from the darker floors.

• sookmomof4
    hace 2 años

@Lisa Dipiro The table is an antique solid quartersawn oak with 5 leaves. (goes to 102 inches) I then had it stained a very dark burnt walnut. Check ebay or chairish, although I think chairish is too expensive. The chairs are from Amazon and were very cheap-I think 2 for $100 at the time.

• lucillenova
    hace 2 años

Water base poly or oil based? Satin finish or matte?

• mnmamax3
    hace 2 años

@lucillenova I loved the Bona HD Traffic Satin for our top coat. Wears like iron. I would ask to see a sample of matte or better yet, see a whole floor in it. I have not heard great things about matte - shows every little footprint, water drop, etc. Though that ciould vary by manufacturer.

• lindakuehne
    hace 2 años

This is all so helpful! Does anyone have photos of the gray & jacobean mixture thats referenced?

• Mia S
    hace 2 años

Hi all! I’m so happy I found this thread and that like me, everyone is battling their cherry wood floors.

I’m a first time home buyer and looking for advice on how to tackle my cherry wood flooring! Is refinishing/staining darker the way to go? Is there any chance of lightening these floors or would I have to go the route of bleaching (this sounds scary)? My dream would be French oak but I suspect that I can only get that by ripping out the original flooring which at the same time seems sacrilegious to do.

PS I am also planning on changing the cabinetry/counters to white which will help me live with the cherry flooring for a bit.

Any advice would be much appreciated :)

• grewa002
    hace 2 años

Mia S- I actually find that your cherry floors look really good with your kitchen. But I am not a professional. Congratulations on the new home!

• heathall
    hace 2 años

It's interesting this thread pings me every now and then—when we first moved in and commented years ago I was not a fan of our Brazilian cherry floors and really would have preferred to replace it with white oak. Instead, we've slowly replaced all our furniture with lighter and medium tones, brought in lots of greenery, modernized the window dressings with natural linens, and added some light rugs and light grey upholstery. Now, I don't even notice it.

• Emma Kinney
    el último año

@heathall do you have any photos? Battling with the same thing. Keep it and suck it up or do the spend to modify. I feel if the rest of the home has a modern feel maybe you ignore it: thanks

• Emma Kinney
    el último año

Pics

• mnmamax3
    el último año

@Emma Kinney I think the floors in your open living room look great with the wall color and will totally work with some furniture/rugs in the space. I don't know if the pale yellow complements it as well. You can make the stairs a little less in-your-face by painting the risers the white color of your trim work.

• sookmomof4
    el último año

@Emma Kinney . I would refinish like I did and put a matte or satin finish. Please look down the thread and see my pictures. Afterword make sure you have window film (uv screening) so the floors stay the same color. It wil icost so much less and your house is really pretty already. The shiny finish is outdated, but the floors are beautiful . Trends come and go .

• Emma Kinney
    el último año

@sookmomof4 I can’t find your pics, sorry! So you would recommend refinish and stain?

• sookmomof4
    el último año

https://www.houzz.com/user/emma-belcher37 I would sand and if you like stain them, but it makes them much darker and that shows lots of dust and dirt. If you hit command F on your computer and put in Sook-you should find where the pics are. I think grayer floors and dark floors have had their hey day! My floors came out more chocolate than red. And we love them!

• georgel79
    el último año

Hello! These are our floors at our new home and I would love thoughts on whether we need to fully refinish/sand down, or if just adding a stain/varnish on top would acheive a darker brown color that we are seeking? We have received quotes from $9-12 grand for the job (1,700 sq ft+25 stairs). I have also heard that there is no way to fully achieve the brown, which I am fine with some red peering through, just don't want it to look warped in any way.

Any advice is appreciated!

• stewartnina2
    el último año

@georgel79 you will need to fully refinish/sand down if you want to the floors stained brown. We had our cherry (Jatoba, brazilian cherry) floors refinished in a brown mahogany stain and the red does not come through (it is a dark stain). We are very happy with our "new" floor.

• Rachel Shepherd
    el último año

love this thread! Just bought a new home. i hate the cherry, its everywhere, too much to get rid of. I’m painting cabinets in kitchen and living room white, getting white counters. The cherry boarders the carpet and is in the ceiling beams, door, and stair rail. I want to refinish the floor. Should i just do a clear matte finish? Will any stain help? Ideas?

• mnmamax3
    el último año

I would not do a matte finish (or at least would see it in person somethwree before you commit). I highly recomend Bona Traffic HD Satin. Matte look but still easy care.

Are you painting cabinetry either way? It's beautiful and so are your beams.

If you are thinking of staining your floor, maybe choose something complementary to your cabinets and do that first to see if you can avoid the expense and smell (been there, done that). Then just add the updatede counters. We stained in Duraseal Ebony (with waterpopping) and love the result.

• Rachel Shepherd
    el último año

I do plan to paint the cabinets eirher way (they are beautiful, but not my personal taste) but I appreciate the suggestion on the satin finish.

• georgel79
    el último año

Hello! Thank you so much for the feedback. We are not moving into our property for a week after the job, and our company is suggesting an alcohol-based vs. water based stain, Synteko for the refinish. Any concerns here? My read is that it saves some money, it smells but that isnt as much of a concern for us since it will be some time before we formally move in, but doesn't change anything re: the quality of the end result. Any insight?

• bubbles0208
    Autor original
    el último año

OP here, glad to see this discussion is still going strong 8 years later and has helped many!

• Becky Harris
    el último año

@bubbles0208 8 YEARS!?!?!?! That's amazing, I love it!

• Justin Gaines
    el último año

I sanded my engineered cherry wood floors down and just added a clear matte protective coat. im not crazy abou them but atleast they dont look as red and look like real hardwood floors. eventually ill probably go with laminite i want natural light floors

• Sha Zingg
    el último año

I'm really sorry to be a kill-joy, bur we sanded and refinished out hardwood cherry floors and they were lighter at first but within a year maybe 2 at most they were back to the original color :(

• sookmomof4
    el último año

https://www.houzz.com/user/sha-zingg, We put UV window film on our windows and one year later our floors are the same color. Either you need to close curtains or film your windows (which is more expensive but looks awesome) to keep the color.

• Boom Er
    hace 11 meses

I installed Brazilian cherry hardwood 20 years ago into a 2nd home at a ski resort, because I felt it best matched the kitchen cabinetry and the ubiquotous window trim/baseboards/doors colour (both fir).

Unfortunately a new dishwasher was not installed properly and the water damage requires replacement. Insurance will cover it (though instead of 6-12' boards, only a 1-12' board was found which I fear will make an even choppier look).

My other option is to replace with Engineereed hardwood, and add underfloor heating with the budget difference.

But since I had a hard time finding a good colour 20yrs ago so thought I would crowdsource some opinions! Any thoughts what colour might match? fyi- I prefer modern/clean vs dark/distressed/knotty. The place is mainly used in winter and doesn't get a lot of sun. I usually have a rug under the couch - moved to try to dry out the buckled floor)

Here are some photos of the space. Excuse them pls - they are sourced from random shots on my camera roll (ie my daughter trying on her grandmother's dress from the 80s that shows that trim colour well)

• jingletim
    hace 11 meses

Hi Boomer, I too had a dishwasher leak that lead to what looked like severe damage to the flooring - it was all wavy and cupped. Before ripping up the adjacent kitchen cabinets and flooring, we brought in fans and dried it out. I seem to remember it took a few weeks, but the flooring returned back to close to original fit, with the exception of some cupping, which was easily sanded out. After refinishing / ebony staining, the floor looked like new. So happy we never ripped it up. Insurance covered refinishing the entire floor as that was the only way to get it all matching. If some of yours is too damaged to refinish, you can consider replacing just the parts you need to and simply avoid using the real short boards / place them under the dishwasher. The shorts won't account for much of the sqft. The nice thing about staining is it unifies the color so it won't at all look 'choppy', even with some shorts. It is beautiful wood you have, one of the hardest you can get, and IMHO seems a shame to rip it out and replace with an inferior product. A dark brown will match the brown in your counter tops too, and make that pink pop even more than it already does...

• Kristy Johnson
    hace 6 meses

Getting ready to refinish our Brazillian Mesquite floors. Sharing sample stains I did yesterday. Still deciding what to do at this point. Second picture shows the bleached floor after an hour and it still looks like that this morning. I'm leaning towards Roanoke but still researching. I had the pickled oak, weathered oak and provincial around from other projects so I decided to test them. The pickled oak produced the white specs that were mentioned in this thread.

• sproic
    hace 6 meses

Hard choice to make. For what it's worth, if you want to retain some of the red (making it look more like mahogany), I'd go for the Roanoke or Espresso. Ebony will likely end up very dark after you apply a poly/water coat. Mocha looks pretty similar to Ebony, maybe a bit lighter? Weathered Oak, Pickled Oak, and Provincial don't look like they're doing much to tone down the redness, and in some cases make it look more pronounced.

• mnmamax3
    hace 6 meses

Kind of depends on what your goal is... Are you trying to match other cabinetry or trim in your house? Did you do water popping? We were pleased with ebony. Do you like the bleached option? That seems sort of like the honey oak everyone is always trying to get rid of. Provincial and espresso seem like they are more brown in tone.

• Kristy Johnson
    hace 6 meses
    Última modificación: hace 6 meses

Still testing and sharing because there doesn't seem to be lots of examples out there. My goal is to tone down the red and get a lighter brown since dark floors show dust easily. I found a video where a homeowner used Varathane Aged Wheat (has green undertones) to tone down the red and I'm testing that now. I did different strengths diluting it down with mineral spirits. I also tested layering stains on top to even out the color variations in my floor. I also added a water based matte top coat and a satin that I had on hand to see the difference once protected. As of now I like the 1/3 formula and want to test that some more with provincial layered on top.

• xcljx
    hace 5 meses

I agree with many out there that there is not a lot of information on how to work with Brazilian cherry floors. Especially if you want to go lighter! My contractor convinced me to keep my floors versus replacing them because it would be a lot more expensive and plus Brazilian cherry is an expensive exotic hardwood. After a lot of heartache, blood sweat and tears and working with my very patient Contractor, we got very close to what I wanted! It was NOT easy and my newer cherry floors upstairs worked out easier than my older Brazilian cherry downstairs:

Before:

• xcljx
    hace 5 meses

[second post bc I couldn’t post more pics]

AFTER:
    Bleaching twice/three times in some areas, 25% weathered oak/75% Simply white and Nordic Seal

• RedRyder
    hace 5 meses

It looks very pretty this way.

• boburban
    hace 4 meses

Can you describe the process…what they did and products used?

• boburban
    hace 4 meses

Sorry missed the caption of bleaching 2x3 time … looks great.

• 13358ludlow
    hace 4 meses

So worth your blood sweat and tears!!!
    Do you by any chance have a pictures of the products you used?

• sheiladelmonte
    hace 2 meses

I absolutely LOVE the way your floors turned out xcljx. It is the look I am going for with my Brazillian cherry floors. Using this process, from sanding to finish, how many steps does it take to accomplish this look and how smelly was it? Will I have to move out?

Also, I have to say that I’m concerned about doing this process because my contractor feels that over time, the wood will pull the reds and oranges out again. I know you just recently had this done. Is there anyone out there who also used this process and can provide feedback regarding my concern? Reds/oranges returning over time? Thank you!

• sheiladelmonte
    hace 2 meses

I absolutely LOVE how your floors turned out xcljx! It is exactly the look I am going for with my Brazillian cherry floors. How many steps did it take to achieve this look from sanding to finish? Also, was it smelly… will my family have to move out for a few days?

As much as I love it, I am a bit concerned about spending the money to do this, as my contractor has told me that over time the reds and oranges will pull through again. Has anyone used this same process perhaps years ago who can provide feedback as to whether this will happen? Reds and oranges showing up again? Thank you!

• somerstef
    hace 6 días

I too just refinished my brazilian cherry floors. We chose Ebony stain and i love the color. it took out a lot of the red but still shows the pretty grain of the wood. HOWEVER the floors now scratch so easily and look worse than they did before after only one week past the 2 week cure period (versus 15 years that we had the floors previously!!!). Im devastated after all the money and effort. did anyone have this experience with Brazilian cherry being refinished? is there something different about that wood that causes it to be super susceptible to scratches? the contractor said he could do the process again with Bona Travfic which ”might” help.

• xcljx
    hace 6 días

@sheiladelmonte - it took many steps, sanding at least 2, 3 times because brazilian cherry and its coating was very hard and difficult to remove, then bleaching, drying, bleaching again, drying. I will say it was extremely dusty and smelly, yes. You'd most certainly would have to move out. The fumes went into basement too.

• xcljx
    hace 6 días

@13358ludlow I don't have the pictures of the products used, unfortunately. They used Minwax and Nordic Seal.

• xcljx
    hace 6 días

@boburban - the process is under the "after" caption. Sanding more than once, bleaching 2/3 times, staining and sealing with Nordic Seal. and the main floor has to be resanded after staining because it was so orange so a slightly different method was used but it worked out!

• jingletim
    hace 6 días
    Última modificación: hace 6 días

@Stefanie You can look back at my posts - the floors have held up remarkable well (very scratch resistant) and free of red tones (Duraseal ebony with water popping and Bona HD Traffic Satin finish) - house with kids and a dog. The wood should not be any softer post staining so I gather it is just the finish that is scratching, so presumably was the products / way applied that was inadequate. Only scratching we had was from wood dining room chairs where the protective felt pads came off.

• PRO
    Arden Hills Estates
    hace 6 días

In my experience, I have stripped and not re-stain. Go with a clear coat. Tie in this new color elsewhere in the room or surrounding room. Mantle? Beams? Looks more intentional that way 

• somerstef
    hace 6 días

@jingletim thank you! thats really helpful to know. hopefully the bona traffic will do the trick for us too.

• somerstef
    hace 6 días

@sheiladelmonte I definitely had to move out. the amount of dust was incredible and reached rooms where we didnt even have work done. the fumes were really bad and took several days to air out. the dust was pink because of the red floors! i definitely recommend making sure your contractor uses drop cloths, sheeting over walls, and closes your vents if possible. also note that there is a 2 week cure period after they apply the poly before it fully hardens, during which time the floors are very susceptible to scratching.

• sheiladelmonte
    hace 5 días

Thank you all for your comments. It’s such a huge undertaking and cost. I appreciate your feedback.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.