Houzz Logo Print
newbedroom

Display nook in the foyer ideas?

Essie Maser
hace 12 años
Hi! might buy a house with This nook in the foyer. What will I do with it?

Comentarios (27)

• bepsf
    hace 12 años
    Appears to have been originally intended as a planter - so why not use it as such?
  • Essie Maser
    Autor original
    hace 12 años
    I'm afraid I have a black thumb! Would a sculpture be crazy?
  • bh14
    hace 12 años
    I envision one of those wall hanging water fountains like this one : http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-203150483/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=water%20fountain&storeId=10051

then if you aren't good at caring for plants, why not try some realistic artificial ones?
  • Emily H
    hace 12 años
    I too have a black thumb. It extends to fish as well as plants, I'm afraid.

I do like something like this though. Gives a little height.
    The Rochester- hallway · Más información
  • PRO
    Barnhart Gallery
    hace 12 años
    Perhaps the previous owner's children had a lot of time-outs, the poor dears? They even had a custom made welcome mat?

Yes perhaps to a sculpture or fountain, some architechtural artifact maybe -- you've got a spotlight already. I do hope those wood spindles to the left are going? They are fighting for attention, detracting from the sleek iron rail.
  • Lynn Oxenford
    hace 12 años
    The little alcove o http://st.houzz.com/simages/155917_0_4-5402-traditional-entry.jpgn the stairway , remove the spindles and you can display ideams.
  • inkwitch
    hace 12 años
    A wall-hanging - ethnic tapestry or wall sculpture -- and remove the rocks -- distracting. Get the same floor tile and use the platform for indoor plant(s), a very skinny Christmas tree in season, or tall, really narrow cabinet in wood and/or rodiron with an oriental flavor.

Definitely get rid of the wood spindles. Yuck. What was the builder thinking? Replace with similar rodiron or stainglass designed to fit the opening. Or leave it open. Love to see what you do, if you buy the house.
  • poeticmoma
    hace 12 años
    Última modificación: hace 12 años
    Too much going on, your eye needs a place to rest. A sculpture would work, but your eye will still be distracted by the banister spindles. I would perhaps close up the window if you get enough light, or remove the wooden spindles and paint out the trim white to match the walls. Why are the spindles there, security? Perhaps to the right of the stair you could create some sort of shelving to align with the stairs on the bottom and keep the top - chest height - open for a sculpture. Could a chair to the right of that make it a little reading nook?
  • PRO
    Joseph F. Yencho, Design/Builder
    hace 12 años
    What a dynamite space! I would do a cabinet /bookshelf system there. The cabinet under would have a door front facing the viewer, and would pull/roll out like a kitchen appliance vault. Maybe 14 " wide? proportional to the space.The upper shelves , something thin, light, airy, and BACK LIT.I'll try to find some pics..
  • pamrhess
    hace 12 años
    I'd get rid of the carpet and wood spindles first, then see where you are at. Then anything goes: an architectural remnant, downlit, a tall (fake) plant. Bamboo is actually really difficult to kill. A Wall fountain. Chalkboard paint with a great drawing on it. It can be any color -- just mix 8 parts water-based paint with one part unsanded grout, mix and slap it up there. You could buy a great wallpaper, just a piece, and put it back there. You could hang a mix of paintings or mirrors -- paint the frames to match but use different tyles and sizes. It could be a rotating art exhibit -- switch it up. But get rid of the carpet and wood spindles first.
  • maiseymouse
    hace 12 años
    what is the purpose of that cut out with the spindles...is it a peak through to another room? An outside facing window? It is strange that the chose to deal with regardless of what it is...in the manner they did. If it is not necessary I would get rid of it...so it is not a distraction and complication to what you choose to put in the nook on the other side of the stairs. The narrow stairs ...and area.......just don't have the scale to pull off that much going on. The wall fountain idea is nice....as is some form of sculpture (choose something simple because less is more in this case).....artificial plants really turn me off so I can't even go there..and I would question the value of a real plant. I have not idea what the original idea that was behind this oddly developed space. It just seems like everything is fighting for attention and nothing makes sense. I think I would echo the sentiment about removing the carpet.
  • pamrhess
    hace 12 años
    And: perhaps switch out the stones for white so it's not such a glaring black hole.
  • jan07
    hace 12 años
    I agree with getting rid of the wood spindles to the left...also the carpet needs to go..The little nook area would be perfect for a display of some sort..either a glass shelving system or black..( depending on the rest of the house decor) with some items displayed or the tapestry....no artificial plants ...please! Good luck!
  • PRO
    MSheldon Designs, LLC
    hace 12 años
    Última modificación: hace 12 años
    Love the bookcase display idea. Do get rid of the spindles. How about removing the carpet on the staircase and adding a really cool sisal type runner or animal print/zebra/antelope? I'm a clay artist, so I'd also love a sculptual piece in this space as another option. Good luck!
  • Essie Maser
    Autor original
    hace 12 años
    Oh my gosh! Thank you for all the responses !

I'm picking my teeth with a shard of those spindles RIGHT NOW! No I'm just kidding, but they serve no purpose, that is just a weird opening to the kitchen. The kitchen is sunken, so it's a transom in there- probably doesn't bug me enough to close up, but to take out the spindles absolutely! It's gone the minute we close! That'll come out and trim painted white.

I love all this advice! Thank you!

So many great thoughts- a custom cabinet would be amazing with a display area and bookshelves for display, and you are all SO right about the rug! I would LOVE to replace that.

Lots of food for thought. Thank you!
  • maiseymouse
    hace 12 años
    what about a stained glass piece in that cut out........?
  • sh ca
    hace 12 años
    I think something that sits on the floor is too expected. I would hang some kind of sculptural thing(s) from the ceiling around the light. Like some colored cylindrical glass things at different heights, perhaps. Then the light would shine down through them.
  • PRO
    Nurturing Your Dreams
    hace 12 años
    If you haven't fallen in love with the house, don't buy it!
  • maiseymouse
    hace 12 años
    lol......Nuturing......that was kind of my feeling. If this little corner reflects what is going on in the rest of the house.....it will only be one thing after another.
  • Sally MacLeod
    hace 12 años
    I lean toward the practical. That looks to me like the perfect spot for hooks and a "boot" tray or basket for shoes.
  • Beth
    hace 12 años
    All great ideas, but if everything else about the house is great and you don't want to do anything monumental right now, you could make it a meditation area like this: I have this great Buddha that I got I think from Amazon - I searched everywhere for this really peaceful one, similar to the Byodo-In one in Hawaii. I have a white one, but they also came in a black and maybe another color. I was wishing I had a great little hallway to put it at the end - it would go on a plant stand maybe and it might need a light. I have my Buddha in my living room with a candle and a vase with dried grasses as a little vignette. Or some other elements that set the area apart.
  • PRO
    I Am a Homemaker
    hace 12 años
    why not rip up the elevated floor. without that weird lift it would be a great place for a little entry drop spot.
  • poeticmoma
    hace 12 años
    Don't rip them out until you're sure you can replace the rug...stone is hard on the legs, and you never know what you will find underneath. Definitely do a smart runner once you've dealt with the corner. And do you really need a window into the kitchen? If you need light, can you make it a larger opening, more rectangular to balance the other side of the stairs?
  • Lisa Ward
    hace 12 años
    I'm thinking children's framed/matted artwork; keep that fridge clear or this fish tank
  • PRO
    My Design Guide.com
    hace 12 años
    Check out this family room with odd nooks....for help http://www.mydesignguide.com/design-90000556-1-1-southwest-fresh.html
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.