Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_747580

Mid Century Modern in need of serious TLC!!

User
hace 9 años
última modificación:hace 9 años
Beginning total re-modelof a classic mid century, we call it
"Smelly House" enough said......

Comentarios (12)

• PRO
    Cal-Spec Inc.
    hace 9 años
    Well you are off to a good start, and a mid century modern is awesome architecture, so your house has good bones.
    We have restored many Alexander or what is called in our area Palm Springs vintage homes.
    First on your agenda should be getting rid of all the paneling in the house.
    Then look for ways to give this home a totally open concept.
    Make sure the structure is in good shape and then get back with the original mid century design.
    User agradeció a Cal-Spec Inc.
  • partim
    hace 9 años
    I love the front door.
  • automatikj
    hace 9 años
    I find "smelly" to be a cause for concern in older homes... Our smelly turned out to be The Evil That Lurks Inside the Walls.

While I understand the drive to get rid of paneling, please pause to appreciate that marvelous front door, (what looks like) multicolored slate floor tiles, and of course the built-ins.

Now go rip out some carpet!
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    hace 9 años
    Get rid of all the wood, and dark floors. Go a very light wood for floors carry though out. Paint a soft gray though out. Stay in mid century for furniture. Which is big right now. That's where your color will come in. Do not buy matching sets please.
    User agradeció a Nancy Travisinteriors
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    hace 9 años
    If it smells could be mold. Have this checked out ASAP.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    hace 9 años
    Front door is interesting. Change out hardware to brush nickel. Lever type.
  • tbhattac
    hace 9 años
    I can't wait to see what you do with it!
    User agradeció a tbhattac
  • houssaon
    hace 9 años
    Love the front door with the fantastic sidelight and I cannot fathom the room without the paneling. Just beautiful! Remove the carpet and see what is below. Great sink in the bath, maybe just change the wallpaper.
    User agradeció a houssaon
  • Denita
    hace 9 años
    Agree with houssaon and midmodfan. If you have a moment, for a slightly different perspective, click on this MCM renovation that worked with the paneling. Click on the photo name to see 11 photos of this home:
    Mid-Century Modern Home · Más información
  • bainfam
    hace 9 años
    Just for fun, look under that American Standard sink and you will probably find a production date stamp that matches the year the house was built. Ours read Sept 1948.

It might be smelly from a prior smoker? If so, removing the carpeting, wallpaper etc. will help.

I do like some of the wood detail. Is it paneling or grooved solid planks? If planks, you can do a lot with them. Ours were redwood and painted by the previous owner (I know, blasphemy!) but I have to admit, though I would have agonized over doing it myself, I like the way it turned out and I also like living in a bright space. The wood gives the rooms a soft, textural feel and also provides some acoustic dampening. Our wood is on only some walls, and on some ceilings. It's awesome on the ceilings.

If you do decide to rip out the wood and it is solid planks, you can save for other projects (all those hot reclaimed wood projects) or sell them for sure....

Are those windows on either side of the fireplace original? Sort of unusual....

Should be a fun project!
  • PRO
    User
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    I will check under the sink for sure! sadly, it is wood paneling and although its in great shape I made the decision yesterday to have it pulled out on the first floor only, we may leave it on the lower level but will paint to add some light to the lower space. You may not be able to tell from the photos but the house is on a lake, with fantastic water views so we want to keep the interior light and bright. Thanks so much for the input, I'll be posting more pics as the work continues.....
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.