Houzz Logo Print
annie1emma2

My Kitchen Renovation - second time around

annie1emma2
hace 10 años
When we purchased our house eight years ago we definitely did not care for the kitchen. Did not like the color of the cabinets or the countertops. We could not do a full renovation so we hired someone to paint the cabinets, installed a new countertop, hardware and appliances. Fast forward eight years the paint is starting to yellow and chip in places. After months of research we just signed with a local cabinet company to completely redo our kitchen. With our budget we could not afford to add on space so we decided that we would take advantage of the space that we do have and try to make it our dream kitchen. We decided to go with white shaker cabinets and a Cambria quartz countertop. Our current pantry is pretty much a closet with a basic door. We are having a custom pantry built (one of the features I am most excited about). We are really excited about all of the custom features we were able to add to the cabinets from the trim, crown moulding, pull out shelves, spice drawer, cutlery insert etc. Nervous about the whole process! Hoping that we make all the right decisions. My husband said this is the last time we are redoing this kitchen!

Comentarios (35)

• Nancy Travisinteriors
    hace 10 años
    Sounds good. I like the white cabinets over dark, in a small area. A nice backsplash, and soft wall color, will give you kitchen you seek.
  • User
    hace 10 años
    You know what you're looking for so you will be happy. If you can, get ceiling height uppers, they'll not only offer more space, they'll make the room look elegant.
  • PRO
    123 Remodeling Inc.
    hace 10 años
    Very well executed, He really did mean "last time"
  • annie1emma2
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Adivra our new cabinets will be ceiling height. One of the things I dislike about my cabinets now.
  • User
    hace 10 años
    Are you having a walk-in pantry? That would be heaven!
  • annie1emma2
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    We will not have a walk in pantry although that would be awesome. The pantry we are having built will be made to look like a piece of furniture. The two bottom drawers will be deep enough to hold all of my pots and pans which made it possible for me to eliminate my lazy susan which I am not crazy about.
  • User
    hace 10 años
    I think you will be happy with the new look. White cabinets are classic and always fresh-looking and in style. That's what I'd pick if I had my druthers, but alas my druthers are long gone.
    annie1emma2 agradeció a User
  • janeaobersat
    hace 10 años
    Sooo much nicer. You inspire me!
  • Susan Lowry_Lamb
    hace 10 años
    It's lovely.
  • winkapot
    hace 10 años
    The wonders paint can do. It looks like a totally different space. The lighter colors really did make the kitchen seem bigger. Please update us on the cabinet pantry you're having built. Everything looks way better.
  • Gigi Perrott Brady
    hace 10 años
    Why did you not opt to do upper cabinets full height to ceiling? That is such a waste of amazing storage space.
  • PRO
    barbara boyle
    hace 10 años
    don't care for the rounded cut outs on the cabinets....look old fashioned........
  • Colleen Knecht
    hace 10 años
    were you able to use the old cabinets somewhere else in the house? like the garage or basement?
  • Carrie Peterkin
    hace 10 años
    Mind if I ask the price difference from a total redo to just doing a great freshen up?
  • Judy Shepherd
    hace 10 años
    Wow! Beautiful! WHAT a HUGE improvement.
  • aurilla
    hace 10 años
    nicely done...much more inviting!
  • PRO
    Susan McLaughlin - Keller Williams Realty
    hace 10 años
    @ Gigi Perrott Brady and Barbara Boyle - The white cabinets you see are the OLD ones painted white, not the new kitchen! The best is yet to come with ceiling height cabinetry, she said.
  • Lucaci Loredana
    hace 10 años
    Love it!
  • mustlovedawgs
    hace 10 años
    Have I read this correctly: the white (now painted) cabinets are a previous renovation, and there is a SECOND renovation that has been planned- but not yet started?
  • annie1emma2
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Gigi Brady when our new cabinets are installed next month they will go all the way to the ceiling. Not only will I gain more storage I think it will look so much better!
    Barbara Boyle I agree my new cabinets will be shaker style doors. We are also doing beaded inset doors which I think will look really nice.
    Colleen Knecht when we remove the cabinets next month we are planning to donate them to Habitat for Humanity. They will take all of the cabinets and countertop.
    Carrie Peterkin the company we used charged us $5000 for painting the cabinets and the new countertop. The price included taking the cabinets to their shop to have them sprayed. Our appliances are Electrolux and cost around $5000. Our budget for our new kitchen was $20,000 but it is going to end up costing $30,000. That is for cabinets, new faucet, hardware, insert for the range hood and a farm house sink. We added a lot of extras to the cabinets as far as trim and moldings. We also added things like can storage to the pantry door, roll out shelves etc. All of those things added up fast. We are also doing a new back splash which will cost around $1000 but my husband will install it. We could have stayed with in our original budget if we did not add all the extras but we want the custom look and that costs so much extra. We are keeping all of our appliances and we recently put down a new hardwood floor.
    Must love dawgs the first photo is from when we bought our house, the second photo is us trying to update the space. We are getting ready next month for all new cabinets.
  • PRO
    J. Scott Interiors and The Well Dressed Window
    hace 10 años
    I'm so glad you posted this! The "new" kitchen is beautiful!
  • daa07065
    hace 10 años
    Taller upper cabinets would've made the kitchen look more elegant.
  • PRO
    B Interior
    hace 10 años
    Very nice improvement! The light colors really brighten up the space!
  • PRO
    Schoolhouse Renovation Inc
    hace 10 años
    I have a pantry cabinet that I hate with a passion. Next kitchen will have a walk-in pantry.
  • User
    hace 10 años
    I've been following this thread. Others are commenting on new kitchen but I never did find pictures of the new kitchen.
  • Pamela Field
    hace 10 años
    Looks great!
  • Sharyn
    hace 10 años
    To clear up some confusion: The dark kitchen was at move in - then you painted and updated appliances (which looks nice!) but now you are replacing cabinets and counters but no picture of the final project. I think people above are thinking the white kitchen is the final room. Good luck on your remodel -please post pictures when done.
  • User
    hace 10 años
    Ah yes, not I see. Renovation #1 made a dramatic difference. I await the final version.
  • annie1emma2
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Sorry about the confusion I was not sure where to post this thread! We have decided on everything for the kitchen besides the black splash. We want to do white subway tile which I thought would be easy. Never realized how many different shades of white there are. We were also considering a tear drop or Moroccan tile. Not sure if that is something that is too trendy that after a few years I would wish I just did the classic white subway tile. My whole house is very neutral. I know some people do not like an all white kitchen but that I love it especially with my dark wood floors!
  • chcrn
    hace 10 años
    Looks great! Love white kitchens with pops of color. Which Cambria quartz countertop is that? I am picking out one now for bath vanity that is white.
  • annie1emma2
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Chcrn we decided on the Cambria Newport
  • Lynn Babin Fontaine
    hace 10 años
    Última modificación: hace 10 años
    Please post pictures of your renovated kitchen when its done ,would love to see the transformation! Although I find the second picture with your cabinates painted white beautiful !
  • Beth Scheel
    hace 10 años
    Confusion may also be resulting from Houzz posting the before on Facebook with a link to click to see the "After".
  • PRO
    Electrolux US
    hace 10 años
    annie1emma2 Enjoy your appliances and let us know if you have any questions! The renovation looks wonderful.
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.