Houzz Logo Print
buckleup2000

Moving house survival tips

Luke Buckle
hace 10 años
Right now, I am in the middle of moving house, so the next fortnight is set to be the most chaotic of my life thus far. Let me know your tricks for packing, unpacking and surviving the whole horrific process. Thanks!

Comentarios (19)

• hatetoshop
    hace 10 años
    Label each box with contents and which room it's to go into. Some people use a numbering system, but I like to see, at a glance, what's in each box without referring to a list. Don't use newspaper to pack dishes, etc as it leaves newsprint.
  • User
    hace 10 años
    I am moving across country so for insurance purposes I am taking pictures of everything I pack and then inventory it on a spreadsheet. The box just has a number on it, and the room it will go into.
  • lucindanyc
    hace 10 años
    I put together a "quick start kit" that includes the basics I need to live in the new space, including toilet paper, soap, bath towels, shower curtain, trash bags, some cleaning supplies, etc. By having all of the essentials assembled, it puts less pressure on having to unpack everything right away.
  • Jessica Kerry Mack
    hace 10 años
    I moved 8 times in 10 years due to my ex-husband's schooling/work. I just moved again into my new place post-divorce. Go to U haul's website and order some of the smart move packing tape that has the room names on it to make labeling boxes easier. Be sure to mark boxes with a minimum lable of what is in them "books" "Bedroom dresser" "Bathroom under sink" or such so you have a starting place to look for something if you find you need it. Mark the box on top and all 4 sides because you might be looking for one box in a stack and there's no guarantee the one you want will be turned a certain way. Keep important supplies separate and in a box marked OPEN FIRST. In fact, super important stuff like medicine, toothbrushes, toilet paper, and at least one set of dishes for the first day or so of meals, and anything else you use daily is a must, one set of sheets isn't a bad idea. Keep that one with you. Keep plenty of sharpies handy for labeling as you pack.

If you hire movers - be aware of the following, if you pack the box and something gets broken or lost they won't cover it under their insurance policy. If they pack the box they will. I found this out the hard way when my brand new X-box 360 and my brand new weed-whacker both of which were still in the original boxes went missing from my move. Since they hadn't packed it they wouldn't replace it.

Pack plates/china on edge rather than stacked (uhaul sells dishpack boxes for this) because if you stack it and there is a sharp jar (think going over a speed bump fast) it can cause a crack down the center of the whole pile, whereas if they are on edge, only one or two will crack instead of the whole stack.

Be sure your insurance policy is up to date and covers the amount to actually replace things you own, many people are under-insured for their belongings and don't find out until after a burglary, fire, or other major loss.

Expect to lose or break some items. If something is super important to you, then be sure it is packed carefully.

Have a first aid kit ready to use for accidental cuts, mashes, bumps and bruises if you are moving items yourself.

Since movers charge by weight - some heavy items may be cheaper to mail to your new address, like books at book rate. You'll have to do the math and see if this option is worth while for your move since the rates will vary based on distance.

If you want to save on packing materials use stuff you already have like sheets and towels to cushion some fragile items.

Moving companies won't move anything they consider flammable or chemical so after you finish cleaning give away your open containers to friends/family and buy new when you get where you are going. It simply isn't worth it to find that the partial bottle of bleach you had in a box burst or leaked and soaked through 6 other boxes causing every piece of clothing/linens you own to have that tie dyed look.

There's a lot of other things, but there are plenty of good websites dedicated to packing and moving so I won't write a book here. I wish you the best and hope you enjoy your new place!
  • Jessica Kerry Mack
    hace 10 años
    You didn't say if you are doing your own move or hiring a moving company so I tried to give suggestions for both above. If you are hiring a Ryder, U haul, or other truck to do your own move be sure to check it before accepting it. I've been offered trucks with bald tires, with no gas cap, with no oil, no windshield wiper fluid, and with the front suspension collapsing. Spent 3 unexpected days in Oklahoma City waiting for that truck to be repaired before I could finish the move from Maryland to California.
  • despinach
    hace 10 años
    As soon as you get into your new place, make your bed, vacuum the room and close the door. After a long exhausting day, you will be glad to have it already made :-)!
    It also helps if you take photos of gallery walls and bookcases, because you might want to put everything the same place as it used to be!
  • Jessica Kerry Mack
    hace 10 años
    Oh - use small boxes for heavy stuff like books. No reason to strain your back or have a box burst because you had heavy stuff in it that it wasn't strong enough to contain.
  • edithsmom
    hace 10 años
    Jessica, all excellent advice from someone who has had more experience than I would want. I would just add one more...keep all personal papers and electronic devices with you at all times. Do not pack them for the professional movers. Oh, and take the day (or two) off after the move, if possible...you will need time to recover from the stress.
  • Luke Buckle
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Thanks everyone for such helpful responses. I am going to use as many as I can.

We have removalists driving our stuff just two suburbs away. We are doing all the packing. There are already areas I wish I had taken photos of!
  • Luke Buckle
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Jessica, that labeled tape is a genius idea!
  • faylala
    hace 10 años
    Also make sure to pack a "first night" box that contains toiletries and items that you may need access to on the first night and next day in case you do t get to open certain boxes right away or if you have movers and they don't bring your things on time.
  • PRO
    Dwell Candy
    hace 10 años
    Moving can be a great time to recycle or sell items you may not need at the new house. It'll lighten the load and make space at the new home. You can also move very delicate/valuable items in your own car as well.
  • troysmommy
    hace 10 años
    Pack what it tajes to get the bedroom set up first. Set the bed up, put mirror on dresser, lamps etc on night tables. Also put in fluffy towels and bubble bath to relax after the first day. Having one room without chaos is priceless.
    Second box holds cups, coffee maker, coffee etc. so first thing first full day there starts off with coffee.
  • faylala
    hace 10 años
    Also if you're moving clothes that are on hangers use the very large and heavy garbage bags to transport them. Just open the bag and slip it up over the clothes from the bottom up the make a knot at the top around the hangers. You can get up to 10 pieces per bag (more or less), then once you're ready to move them just lift the bag off of the clothes rack, move to your car and when you get to the new place hang them on the new rack. All you would have to do is slide the bags off. Trust me I moved 2 months ago and it made moving what seemed like hundreds of clothing items so easy! Then you can can the bags for garbage. Now that's recycling!
    Luke Buckle agradeció a faylala
  • faylala
    hace 10 años
    I just remembered, if you get the 60 gallon bags, you can put way more than 10 times in there. Good luck!
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    hace 8 años

Sell EVERYTHING except the fly fishing rod.

• Angel 18432
    hace 8 años

Mark, better late than never - April 2014 post she could have moved twice since then. lol

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    hace 8 años
    Some of my best advice is like a tree falling in the forest.
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.