Houzz Logo Print
philipparichard

Question for architects: Do you find restrictions help or hinder?

Ace Your Space
hace 10 años
Do you find restrictions help or hinder your creativity?
So, do you prefer a client who has lots of clear, precise ideas, on a tricky lot?
Or do you prefer a large lot and a client who says they love you work and just want you to design them a great house?

Which situation do you feel is likely to help you make your best work?
Lots of restrictions help me focus
I love blue sky thinking

Comentarios (3)

• PRO
    Blythe Haynes from BSH Design
    hace 10 años
    Sometimes restrictions require out of the box thinking. I do some of my best work when I have to get around restrictions. Although I like complete freedom too, having to solve problems associated with HOA's, historical areas, small lots and difficult topography can and does make me be more creative. Although the Homeowner has to be willing to trust my vision and experience.
    Ace Your Space agradeció a Blythe Haynes from BSH Design
  • PRO
    Ace Your Space
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Thanks for kicking off the replies BSH. I too find that restrictions help, I like solving problems. I am interested to see whether this is actually a useful part of the creative process for most people.
  • PRO
    Korel Home Designs
    hace 10 años
    I prefer #3 most. Who wouldn't? I do appreciate #2 as opposed to a client who is a moving target. A tricky lot is a lot where the customer is "Pie In The Sky" in regards to what is possible on the lot. I recently visited with a customer who wanted a 3-car garage home on a zero lot line property. LOL! "Reality check please!". I hope the next guy can get it through to her. Restrictions? As in CCRs? Not really. Just as long as I have a clear understanding of them. I once sat in on a plan review where the committee members where, as we say here in Texas, "Shooting from the hip", IE, making crap up as they go along and straying away from the published restrictions. I wrangled them back in except for one guy who got sort of belligerent with me. I love my job. I love it when the HOA wants to beat me up. LOL.
    Ace Your Space agradeció a Korel Home Designs
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.