Houzz Logo Print
edubya

Pet Peeve: Toilet Seats - Up or Down?

Emily H
hace 10 años
This is one of those issues that can make you crazy if you and the people you live with don't agree on the way things should be left. :) What do you think?

VOTE and tell us your story in the comments!
Other - Tell us below!

Comentarios (787)

• blackshearpantyhose
    hace 7 años

keep it up babe... you will like it better that way trust me....(he heee)

• Rose Friton
    hace 7 años

All down for sure. I have looking into that bowl. especially since I have a bathroom close to other rooms, (dining, kitchen, living room) since I leave the bathroom door open (except when in use)

• blackshearpantyhose
    hace 7 años

i still dont understand the logic. thats like saying the drains to the sinks need a lid too? what about a Bidet thats not covered either? If your drains are preoperly plumbed (they all should have "S" traps) so stuff like that doesnt happen. Its not the location of the living quarters its the location of the location of the drains that function properly....Proximity of back flow and junctions of properly placed drains.

Yes i agree to cover the lid when flushing but not leaving it closed to help contamination in air born diseases once its flushed.

• pdk920
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

I keep the lid down as a rule. My understanding is that the commotion of flushing is what spreads contamination. But as one who has lived in many houses with iffy plumbing, keeping an eye on the process isn't a bad thing -- discovering later that it didn't quite work as it should have is NOT good.

I keep my toothbrush in the med cabinet.

• blackshearpantyhose
    hace 7 años

you should keep it in a tooth brush case. Med cabinets are not the wisest.

• pdk920
    hace 7 años

It's in a case which I keep in the cabinet. Seems pretty secure to me.

• blackshearpantyhose
    hace 7 años

perfect. You can always ask your dentist next time you go in for a check up. they say most germs are in your mouth. and brush your teeth and dont forget to floss. : )

• havingfun
    hace 7 años

you all know this a really old post, right?

ok i explained this a while ago, probably been 1000 comments ago. dr. whats his name demonstrated on tv how awful it was to have the lid up. so despite how hard it is for me, i insisted that hubby and i shut lid. after a while it dawned me, there were never drops on inside of lid. after a month, i told hubby this - he is a plumbing trainee. he said that if your toilet is done right you have an air pipe and this forces the water down or something, he then reminded me that the seat was never wet if we left the lid up. i asked why not told before? he sometimes it is best if you go with the flow-smartiepants! anyway, last test was in a public office they said the most toilet micros were found on a file cabinet, locked in an office like 30 feet away. gobble gobble

• blackshearpantyhose
    hace 7 años

who really cares what you think. if your so paranoid then keep your panties on.

• pdk920
    hace 7 años

Thanks, havingfun. I've heard all sorts of stats and I think most are overblown. Modern toilets are pretty efficient and I doubt they're much of a hazard, personally. But there isn't much reason to leave the seat up; it looks better closed so I do.

These old threads come back to life like zombies. They get posted on the front page and soon they're up and walking. We can expect the over-under-toilet-paper posts to reappear any day now!

• blackshearpantyhose
    hace 7 años

Again who really cares. what looks better. most are concerend for health reasons and others dont like peeing on the seat. Now that i have my new bidet she can close and open her lid or mine anytime. thx for your prompt response.

• schmooopie
    hace 7 años

is this the toilet paper placed so that it rolls over or under poll or the toilet seat COVER dilemna poll???

• pdk920
    hace 7 años

Don't you love how some threads NEVER DIE even when there is no definitive answer?

• D. L.
    hace 7 años

My story is that I lived in a house with a father who was macho authority figure who insisted on leaving both up, but then, he married someone who is from upper class and now he leaves both down. I fell in a few times in the middle of the night and had my blind grandmother fall in, because of the up up. I ended up in the middle with the lid up and seat down, but do put the lid down when guests come.

• blackshearpantyhose
    hace 7 años

thats right ladies men will pee all over the lid. and things could get messy.

• Rose Friton
    hace 7 años

yes, D.L. looks better both down. Since my bathroom is in near the kitchen, I don't like looking into that bowl. Better that it's closed. I got into the habit of closing the lid, as I had a tiny bathroom and lost a hairbrush, a toothbrush and some earrings into that open bowl...

• blackshearpantyhose
    hace 7 años

thats great when your on your own and dont live with a man. Maybe you should buy some shelves for the wall to put your things when you do your make up? Maybe a medicine cabinet some shelves or a door hanging organizer.

• acm
    hace 7 años

World's most disgusting deciding factor: if we don't keep our *lids* closed, one of our cats will go in there and splash with her paws, sending water all over the floor/rug. Bleah!!

Also, +1 to the amazement about zombie threads.

• blackshearpantyhose
    hace 7 años

yea well its just me and the dog. I train him to drink out of the toilet. Just in case im out of the house overnite. Hes a small Chihuahua with mini Pincer and doesnt seem to mind. He doesnt make a miss after he fell in once. He looks funny with his head off to the side depending if i leave the toilet seat down. or not. Or he jumps on the toilet seat with his paws and puts his head down inside and tries to lick the water in the bowl but he cant so he has to like spyder web the seat to get close enuff to suck up some water. Check you tube dogs drinking water out of the toilet. : )

• pdk920
    hace 7 años

I'm about ready to switch off the "comments" on this one; it's worn out its welcome.

• blackshearpantyhose
    hace 7 años

thank you. keep your lid closed. like others keep their mouth shut.. I call that potty mouth....

• schmooopie
    hace 7 años

hey having fun.... missed ya! Shhhh.... you and I can keep both polls going forever...

• blackshearpantyhose
    hace 7 años

who really cares if the lid is up or not. Pee like a man or take it like a man sitting down i guess. Why do you like crossing your legs in front of people in public. please not in front of me. Show proper etiquette next time.

• D. L.
    hace 7 años

Because of this thread, I watched the Dr. Oz segment telling the women that they had fecal material inside shower cap and on the toothbrush and in the toothbrush cup from leaving the lid open, and that makes closing it before flushing an answer I will stick with and probably won't even have a hard time remembering it.

Yucky! I store my toothbrush and cup inside the medicine cabinet, but he said that if you leave it open the splatter can remain in the air for 20 minutes, so, brush before flush.

• havingfun
    hace 7 años

hi schmoopie, merry christmas!

• schmooopie
    hace 7 años

backatcha! having fun- but remember there are three "o"s in schmooopie... seemed like a good idea at the time... hope santa comes thru!

• havingfun
    hace 7 años

hopefully, you wont return because he forgot the 3rd O. falalala!

• Rose Friton
    hace 7 años

Noticed some of these replies, go back to 2014. Wow this is a powerful subject, I guess. Hey I keep seat and lid down all the time. It's more pleasant than looking into the bowl. AND one suggestion that keeping the lid open supresses the growth of mold? Mine forms mold no matter what I do. I just clean it often and when I'm gone for an extended period, I pour a little Clorox onto the water. It sometimes helps.

• havingfun
    hace 7 años

oh rose, this i believe is smaller then the over under tp roll. now that really gets rolling every few months. in delaware, the mold? is impossible, leave for 2wks and you have a beard, no matter what you use.

• tooky58
    hace 7 años

We're both each other's 2nd marriage. I have never, not once, sat down on the bottom of the toilet at 3am. Who can forget that feeling? Well, he was the only male with 3 females so he just started sitting down. Had done it for so many years that he just started doing it again for me. True love. The lid is always down after discovering how far the flushed water goes. We brush our teeth in the kitchen.

• havingfun
    hace 7 años

actually that kitchen bit makes sense. but if you look after you reopen the lid you will see it does not - urban myth! if yours does give it a check up. falalala!

• D. L.
    hace 7 años

Rose, I have dropped things in mine, too, so closed keeps me from having to fish things out.

I laugh, because I really did get a new Spin Brush and pack of replacement brushes and I seriously disinfected the cup holder since watching Dr. Oz.

• havingfun
    hace 7 años

yeah me too, falalala-xmas lol. then i realized the truth, told hubby. he smiled and said yes i knew you would figure it out!

• blackshearpantyhose
    hace 7 años

yea i know that from experience, i left the lid up one time and almost feel in with no seat on the rim...at 2 a.m. I think i was traumatized after that. Yes some men like to pee sitting down too. just have to be careful not to touch the water in the bowl. Its not good looking sight but there are some simple pleasures in life feel too.

• PRO
    GARDEN PROS
    hace 6 años

Toilet seat DOWN.... No what ifs or buts about it. Make everyone safe at all times... Lol

• blackshearpantyhose
    hace 6 años

Its better to keep it like it is. So that way i wont have to worry about peeing on the seat or siting on "the wet seat".

• havingfun
    hace 6 años

black shear - you do know women don't wear those anymore? and you only watch for this thread, my you must have some investment in it! lol

Schmoopie! Ssscchhhmmmoooooopie! where are you?

• blackshearpantyhose
    hace 6 años

yea, funny you. when was the last time you looked at your self in the mirror. Most men stand up when they pee i see you like to sit down like a lady thats cool. take care...

• PRO
    Design Solution Group
    hace 6 años
    everything down! no other way aroind
  • blackshearpantyhose
    hace 6 años

thats right, but i like to see what I'm doing.... (lol)

• Kym Si
    hace 6 años

Like my Daddy taught me growing up.....That seat lid better be down if your hiney is not sitting on it. SEAT DOWN!!!

• PRO
    Monarch Sofas
    hace 6 años

WHERE CAN I GET THE DAVID HASSELHOFF LID ?!?!?!?!?!?!? i'm german, i need it !!!

(i'm not kidding, if you have the info, i'll take it!!)

we learned the hard way with the lid up... my toddler accidentally bumped the deodorant and it got wedged so beautifully perfect into the toilet, that the whole toilet had to be replaced :/

LID DOWN !

:))

xoxo eva @ MONARCHSOFAS.COM

** CLICK HERE TO VIEW HUNDREDS OF FINISHED CUSTOM SOFA AND CUSTOM SECTIONAL PROJECTS

LIKE US ON FACEBOOK

• artsyphartsy_home_maker
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

Emily H. how do you come up with these polls? If you don't mind me asking, just curious what do you do with all of the info & statistics you collect? Is it sold? With the amount of polls that you post it seems like a job, do you work for Houzz? Or do you just enjoy creating the Polls? They are fun to vote on. I've been wondering for a while.

• PRO
    Monarch Sofas
    hace 6 años

• The Fed up
    hace 6 años

Single male, I put ALL DOWN, before I flush.

• blackshearpantyhose
    hace 6 años

no!

• havingfun
    hace 6 años

no up or no down?

• blackshearpantyhose
    hace 6 años

if you pee like a girl keep it down i guess!

• Stax
    el último año

This is not as important as the method to have the toilet paper roll mounted in the holder!

• Stax
    el último año

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.