Houzz Logo Print
brandilovesdecor

Valance or no valance?

Brandi
hace 10 años
Do I keep the valance or get rid of it? If you think I should get rid of it then how do I dress up that empty space? Also what are your thoughts on the pendant light?

Comentarios (53)

• PRO
    Color Zen
    hace 10 años
    Agree- my first thought was a roman shade in more contemporary patterned fabric (maybe black and white).
  • PRO
    Linton Hill Home Services Group Inc.
    hace 10 años
    My first thought is that valances are very 80s and 90s. But then I clicked on the picture with no valance and think it looks too plain. I like the valance there better than it not being there, however there are other options than the valance. Search on this app.
    Good luck! Traci Whatley
  • soto01
    hace 10 años
    I vote for the roman shade also -- it will make a big difference and will update the window area nicely.
  • Brandi
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    I agree with the Roman Shade. What do you think about a wooden one? To warm up the space? I was actually thinking the light pendant was to small just needed to hear it from someone else. I can't Thank you all enough for the helpful tips.
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    hace 10 años
    Última modificación: hace 10 años
    Nothing, as I am not a fan of fabric in the kitchen as it holds cooking odors and needs frequent cleaning.

I do love pretty lighting instead, either with sconces or chandeliers.
    Kitchen and Enclosed Porch created in new Addition · Más información

White Kitchen · Más información
  • PRO
    Anne Burkett Designs
    hace 10 años
    I agree too! A roman shade would look great.
  • jck910
    hace 10 años
    Roman shade and larger pendant check out schoolhouseelectric.com 's union pendant
  • User
    hace 10 años
    I would take down the valance and paint that area one of the darker colors from your backsplash. I would also buy a larger pendant light.
  • PRO
    Signature Home Services
    hace 10 años
    So many good ideas here!
  • laurakdesigns
    hace 10 años
    I would find a great print in colors that coordinate with your kitchen and have a roman shade made. Hang it close to the ceiling and cover the top of the window frame. It will give you the illusion of a tall window. Remove that upper trim piece between the two cabinets. I'm not a fan of the pendant light there-- just a clean simple pot light. I also would get two green topiaries and put on each side of the window. Rosemary? Move the coffe pot over to the right more.
  • Brandi
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    I see now how dated it looks after reading everyone's advice. It's pretty bad that I bought it just last year. Haha. :-) I will definitely go for a roman shade and change the light. When I look back I wished I had bought a bigger window to fill in the space. Since I just got it last year I won't be doing that anytime soon.
  • groveraxle
    hace 10 años
    A larger, more commanding pendant hung a bit higher is all you need.
  • Brandi
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    What do you think about this light?
  • decoenthusiaste
    hace 10 años
    Mock roman that stays in place so it doesn't get splashed. If you need privacy/light control install a cordless accordian or cellular shade under it.
    Brandi agradeció a decoenthusiaste
  • User
    hace 10 años
    I do think a woven wood or bamboo Roman shade would be nice. Hang it higher than the window to visually elongate.
    Deephaven, MN – Cottage completed in 2009 · Más información
    Brandi agradeció a User
  • blooms
    hace 10 años
    You might try a nearly flat cornice. You'll have your choice of fabric, and it will give the window a clean look.
  • Brandi
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Deco can you give me some ideas on where I can find a mock roman? @bluenan at first I thought I wanted a print of some kind but looking at your picture makes me want a woven wood shade. Any suggestions on where I can find one? I've done dome research but I haven't found one 53" wide unless I go custom and those seem to be expensive.
  • Brandi
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Here's another pendant I found. What do you all think?
  • Brandi
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    I would appreciate some ideas for a pendant also. Again thank you all for taking the time to read my post and give me your tips and insight.
  • User
    hace 10 años
    What other kinds of lighting are in the vicinity? Would you be able to post another picture of more of the room?
  • Keitha
    hace 10 años
    Get rid of it and hang a cool vintage sign on hooks at the window. Hobby Lobby has a faux sign that would look really neat hanging ins there. It's about 4 ft. Long red with lettering that simply says GROCERY. ...unique and perfect!
  • Brandi
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Yes, I can do that tomorrow. When I get some daylight so you can get a better look of the room. :-)
  • kaye1951
    hace 10 años
    I agree with Judy G Designs on no fabric in the kitchen. Any fibrous treatment will attract grease and odors. Did you see the pics she posted. Wider window molding at the top would be my choice with Groveraxle's light fixture!
  • PRO
    Ku Interior Design
    hace 10 años
    I agree with the roman shade, use a fun pattern. I think the pendant looks like it's hanging too low.
  • groveraxle
    hace 10 años
    Ah, the foto pendant from Ikea. Perfect, and the right price. (Disclaimer: I have three of them in my studio.)
  • dlillwitz
    hace 10 años
    A faux roman shade is easy to make and needs no sewing. I just made one for over my sink last Sunday and it took me an hour tops. It is made of fabric and I know you said you may want woven a but just an idea. I attached a photo of mine to give you an idea of what it looks like.
  • Brandi
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Here's another. Just showing some pendants that I like. http://houzz.com/photos/4905802
  • Brandi
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Great idea dlill.
  • Dawn
    hace 10 años
    Ooh, I love that, dlillwitz! And, I really like that last pendant, Brandi.
    Brandi agradeció a Dawn
  • Brandi
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Ok here they are. I have a lot more to do. New flooring, new door. Not sure about the light fixture above the table. I would like to dress it up a little. Also, I've been thinking about a bold wall paper behind the buffet. Not sure if I want to keep buffet either.
  • Brandi
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    I want to update the ceiling fan for another. Should I?
  • PRO
    Ku Interior Design
    hace 10 años
    Yes, your kitchen looks great and a more modern ceiling fan would be a great addition. I think you should try to find one that hugs the ceiling more than the one you already have.
  • J. Bruins
    hace 10 años
    Remove the valance, since it blocks daylight. I like the Roman shade idea, if there are privacy issues. I like the light, however I'd add two more.
  • User
    hace 10 años
    I'm not sure I'd add a pendant with the fan there. It also looks like it might hang a bit too far out into the room, not really over the sink. With a new fan and the light over the table I would stick with the can light and a Roman shade hung high, whether you decide on fabric or woven wood.
  • katjens2000
    hace 10 años
    No valance, less is more and it appears the valance is competing with the pendant light.
  • sacco6
    hace 10 años
    I would do a wallpaper behind the buffet, maybe something with plum to accent your chairs and then remove the bridge between the two cabinets and add a roman shade in color to match the wallpaper. A mini crystal pendant above the sink and coordinating light above the table.
  • laurakdesigns
    hace 10 años
    How about painting the buffet a metallic silver or black?
  • Brandi
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    I will be looking for a new fan. Also what do you think about the light over the table? To boring? I would love to repaint my buffet but I just refinished it just last year. It was done for another room and I thought I would try it in the kitchen. What color of flooring would you suggest? I want to replace it sometime this year but Ihavw to get the floor leveled before we do that. We live in an older home so I guess that comes with the territory. So to speak.
  • Brandi
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    O and any ideas on how to cover those vents above my table. Those vents pull off heat from the fireplace in the front room. I looked into turning it into a 2-sided fireplace and I was told it would cost me around $6000. So eventually that will be done when I have the money in the budget.
  • agevm
    hace 10 años
    Would you be interested in adding your backsplash tile all the way up the wall?
  • Brandi
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    @agevm I would love to do that but when I mentioned it to my husband he gave me a dirty look. Haha. This is his first backsplash and so it didn't go very well. Hopefully I can talk him into it in time.
  • columbia93
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

My IE crashed when I tried this before so lets see if I can get it through this time! :)

The vents: I think you should tape off an area that encompasses those vents and paint it with chalkboard paint. The dark grey will camouflage the vents AND it will give you a great deco item for creating (I LOVE colored chalk), messaging, etc. You could even build a frame around it to make it look even more fabulous!

Valance: I don't mind fabric if you make it low maintenance. If you own an iron and the valance is simple, you can easily wash and press. Artwork is a great idea, too. A vintage sign is absolutely an option. Good place to bring in the purple. Another option (or two), check your local Lowes/Home Depot or whatever you have. They now make stainless steel tiles that stick on. They also have some really cool vinyl tiles (18-20"?) that look like antique tin ceiling tiles. Easy to apply and would really go well with rustic/modern farmhouse you've got going on.

Lighting: I prefer the first light but it is 20" diam - too big for that spot. How about this one - it's only 9" (also from IKEA). It has the same feel but on a much smaller scale.

I also like this one - 11 3/4". As a side note, I'm not liking the light above the table - too large and heavy. You could buy 2 of any of these and put one over the sink and one over the table, or even reuse the light over the sink for the table. If you decide on the chalkboard, or even some art, you'll want a small light that doesn't get in the way.

There is also a smaller enameled FOTO pendant - you could buy the cream one and find a spray paint in the same purple as your chairs (which I adore!) and repaint the light.

Gama Pendant for the Vesuvius Collection By Joe Ginsberg, Blue Lilac · Más información

This pendant is $1300 on Houzz. You can buy a pendant light kit for less than $15 and buy a purple vase and drill a hole in the bottom and - VOILA!

Ceiling light: Yep, needs to go. I don't know if it should be replaced. I am a huge fan of ceiling fans, pun intended, but not sure about it in a kitchen. I know that no matter what, dust collects and then spins off when it is turned on. Don't think I'd want that in a kitchen. Here are a couple of nice options...

The only problem I see is the finishes don't seem to be the same. I'd try to get the same finishes or you could mix it up with silver/stainless and painted enamel. On the pendants, you might even be able to paint them with Rustoleum's metallic paint but I don't know how they turn out except for the Oilrubbed bronze, which turns out well.

Buffet: don't repaint it. Also, probably no accent wall if you choose the chalkboard or art above the table. I would, however, try to find a largish mirror to go above it - either go simple and stainless or embrace the rustic buffet and try to find something antique-like. Find a window and look online to see how to use the mirror spray paint to create an aged speckle. Easy and cheap! And move the accessories you have on it now to another room. See if you can find some natural pieces, as well as incorporating the purple. And candles.

• km kane
    hace 8 años
    NO valance! Very dated. And I can barely see the pendant. You need nothing to "dress" a window. Just look outside and enjoy what you see.
  • km kane
    hace 8 años
    The area above your window is a perfect place for art. Real art, not word art like "eat" or other silliness. You could also paint it a nice color
  • km kane
    hace 8 años

Aha! And larger molding. All of those work.
    bigger pendant, paint with darker tone, thicker trim, art (no "grocery" signs), a giant clock. Of course, bigger window would be better, but I see your point!

• PRO
    MEC
    hace 8 años

Keep the valance, add some blinds.

• PRO
    Finishing Touches
    hace 8 años

I would change the valence to a roman shade, relaxed roman, or woven wood if you are going for a transitional feel.

• silmare
    hace 8 años

You could also do a glass shelf above the window with trailing green plants for a fresh look. Would keep all the light, bring in the outside and green plants always freshen up the kitchen. If doing that, because its high up, I'd opt for small selfwatering pots, even if tucked inside a larger ceramic that you liked. Less time spent on the stepstool watering that way. A short row of mirrored tile or small wood framed mirror resting behind the glass shelf would bring even more light for the plants and give depth and make the splash of greenery even more attractive.

• PRO
    Shakuff
    hace 8 años

Ditch the existing valance for something more streamlined. If you don't care to have to cover the windows, either a fixed/faux roman that doesn't open and just functions as a valance, or a simple cornice box. I think the softer roman shade look would be best though as it will help soften the room.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.