Outdoor Style: Los Angeles vs. New York

Emily H
hace 10 años
Which one is your favorite?

VOTE and tell us why in the comments!

Comentarios (65)

• rredpenn
    hace 10 años
    LA-mos def! The privacy in that space trumps the view of the NYC spot. I'm too laid back to be comfortable in NYC, perhaps.
  • Lynda
    hace 10 años
    I like both - a nice outdoor space is important to me regardless of location or size of space.

My biggest concern for NYC is, from my understanding, having outdoor space (even something small) comes at a premium - and with housing in NYC already being costly, for many people, having a home (apt, co-op, condo) with outdoor space just isn't in the budget.

Here in the LA area, though housing prices are high compared to many areas in the country, most homes (apts, condos, houses) do have some type of outdoor space without a significant impact on price).

That being said, I LOVE New York City, and if I ever win the lottery (lol), I would have homes in both cities, each with gorgeous (but very different) outdoor spaces!
  • printesa
    hace 10 años
    @Belle Chaise, I don't know when you lived in SF, but the weather there is not that great..too windy and in the summertime, it's not that comfortable to enjoy the swimming pool. I lived for 6 years in Bay Area..summer temperatures would be around 85, which was nice, but in the last 3 years or so, there was always a cold wind.
    California is nice for those who want to have constant warmish weather and don't like four seasons.
  • Manon Breedveld
    hace 10 años
    NYC, for the green and the view :) LA is pretty and modern though
  • PRO
    THE MYSTINFIELD GROUP, LLC
    hace 10 años
    LA BECASUE IT SEEMS HOMIER AND NORE INVITING.
  • ravensmom13
    hace 10 años
    LA style all the way!! Love outdoors being brought in and vice versa...totally awesome way of life, in my opinion...home without walls is heaven to me!! Of course living in Maine with our climate, that's out of the question...LOL....but if that LA home is for sale, I'm moving!!
  • PRO
    Stagecoached
    hace 10 años
    NYC-you can walk everywhere!
  • asraap
    hace 10 años
    LA because it feels like you are more at home. But in NY on the other hand, is a bit of a crazy, wild kind of home when LA is a soft, quiet kind of home. Trust me, no one wants to have a wild house. They want a quiet home so that they can relax more and cool off in the pool.
  • JAC Frances
    hace 10 años
    Nothing is better than the rambling ranch style often seen in California. I grew up in one and lived in several.
  • thickskin
    hace 10 años
    The skyline of NYC at night is breathtaking. A pool is a pool is a pool.
  • lgh14
    hace 10 años
    Love the Pool, love the mid century modern house, love the weather, what's not to love.
  • Kathy Wargo
    hace 10 años
    Love Californian weather, but I hate LA. Both cities are too expensive, New York is much more romantic if of course you can afford those great brownstones.
  • mws73
    hace 10 años
    LA - yes yes yes !!!! :) . I work in NY and I miss LA badly. LA challenged me on the creative level FAR more than NY.
  • stryker
    hace 10 años
    The smog and the absolutely horrendous traffic just about undo LA's benefits.
  • bigsue
    hace 10 años
    LA for the look, the grass, the weather...i would move in right away
  • mws73
    hace 10 años
    how about bad road signage, unsynchronized traffic lights, potholes everywhere, as far as congested freeways ....lets try 495, Queens ---any time a day HA! or driving through NYC without honking - impossible HA! sorry LA wins :)
  • Coco Hall
    hace 10 años
    LA all the way! For the most part, NYC feels very claustrophobic to me. Plus, to have a view like that (or any extra space, period) in NYC costs serious BANK. And there's not enough "green" in NYC, everything feels grey and concrete.

In LA , yes it is still pricier than a lot the country, but you don't have to be a multimillionaire to have a backyard of some sort. California's ranch style homes provide a lot of opportunity for improvement even to someone on a relatively modest budget.

Plus- year round sunshine! Knock it all you want, but the bright colorful plants (especially the roses!) and the delightful scent of jasmine and magnolia trees just can't be beat.

to have a back yard of some sort.
  • stryker
    hace 10 años
    Well, hey, if it comes down to the most livable city in the world, I think both have their good points, but both are losers compared to a several other cities I can think of.
  • Denita
    hace 10 años
    You and me both jeanstryker.
  • printesa
    hace 10 años
    I can see some positive parts in NYC, like the cultural part,,;lots of theaters, museums, Broadway, etc. LA...can't see anything really other than lots of smog. Even the Beverly Hills area where only the rich and famous can afford something is not that great,, I know I'm biased,,I lived in Bay Area and didn't like it one bit, but even without being there,,still can't see anything good in that large city
  • karelina
    hace 10 años
    "NY, NY is a wonderful town!" to visit. Perhaps my favorite. All the arts: music, museums, dance, theater, nothing in LA compares. I can even find early music with ease, which is difficult this side of the Atlantic.
  • Shannon Olden
    hace 10 años
    both. live in NY in the nice weather and in L.A. in the winter. simple really!!
  • Alma Shands
    hace 10 años
    I love them both, but I must say, I had more fun in NY and always look forward to my weekend getaways there. Not to mention the fact that I prefer cold weather.
  • PRO
    FINNE Architects
    hace 10 años
    West is best!
  • Kamela Miller
    hace 10 años
    on word weather! La for me
  • Fi Dambe
    hace 10 años
    LA photo looks like i should pack up and go to LA, that simple! just looks LA
  • thickskin
    hace 10 años
    I'm sticking with NY. No wild fires, no drought, and plenty water.
  • joymorimoto
    hace 10 años
    The LA space is uncluttered and serene. I also love the surrounding trees. Being surrounded by a view of skyscrapers and concrete is not for me.
  • debsurreal
    hace 10 años
    I love nature which makes the LA scene appealing. But we are retiring mountain dwellers and I am missing the glitz of the big city. If money and politics were not part of the scenario, NYC would be home. Until then, NYC receives my tourist dollars - just not often enough.
  • maryrw
    hace 10 años
    I'm a NYer, born in the bronx but outdoors its LA all the way.
  • plzjust1smile
    hace 10 años
    New York
  • PRO
    RDM Interiors
    hace 10 años
    Vacation in LA.............Live Life in NY!!
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    hace 10 años
    Your choices are pretty limited.
  • PRO
    Darla Scheuerman
    hace 10 años
    I'm just less fond of the cold every year.
  • PRO
    EasyTurf
    hace 10 años
    I voted for New York because I love the Yankees ... Is that wrong?
    Cheers!
    George
  • michele1975
    hace 10 años
    I voted NY just so that I could complain that there is a large amount of country in between NY & LA and I don't like the insinuation that one must be one coast or the other. Viva the middle.
  • Cyndi Scherer
    hace 10 años
    So much less maintenance with the LA one
  • PRO
    Design One Interiors
    hace 10 años
    Both NY and LA are beautiful outdoor spaces. I select NYC because of the vibrancy of the city, walking distance away and the breath taking skyline views. I love the culture that NYC has to offer right outside your door when you have enjoyed the outdoor space.

I have owned 4 pool homes in Florida with the interior space all opening to the pool. This certainly is a beautiful setting but I found that I would not always use my pool and would go out side of my home to get my exercise or go and walk the beach.

Design One Interiors is presently doing a renovation of a condo with views of Central Park from the dining room and the Hudson river from the living room. This condo is located in the Upper west side of Manhattan. This New York City renovation consists of a 1 Bedroom 1 ½ Bath condo in need of a modern facelift. - See more at: http://www.designoneinteriors.net/blog/new-york-city-renovation-4/#sthash.BGBkazxN.dpuf
    During my initial visit to view the cope of work I was taken with the magnificient views from this condo and just walking outside to a bustling cultural city I found very stimulating.
  • Suzanne Gélinas
    hace 10 años
    le soleil,la température chaude,la baignade le jour comme le soir pas de neige ni de froid ni de grippe bravo pour la Californie.
  • mhendel
    hace 10 años
    The LA one, no doubt.
  • Muriel Geny-Triffaut
    hace 10 años
    I am French and American and I am lucky enough to be able to live alternatively in Manhattan and Nice, French Riviera which is definitely much less polluted than LA and close to Italy, Switzerland and Monte Carlo.
  • Bj Taylor
    hace 10 años
    I absolutely love the indoor/outdoor connection. warm evenings with good friends moving in and out at whim
  • PRO
    Kohliron
    hace 10 años
    wow, amazing.
  • Claudia Amestegui
    hace 10 años
    love to be on the ground with that amazing pool. However, there's no denying the electricity in the NYC air whilst on a rooftop deck, terrace or balcony!
  • vaughnl
    hace 10 años
    Love the openness of the LA space. Feels 'free'!
  • Cheryl Lunetta
    hace 10 años
    The warmth would draw me to LA but I would rather live in a suburb than the actual city. Love NY too because I am so close - more cultu
    re.
  • iolanz
    hace 10 años
    Definitely LA. The NYC skyline is nice, but who could say no to that pool? The house looks lovely in that light, too.
  • Cindy Cuthbertson
    hace 10 años
    The pool and general modern vibe.
  • Kat Cheng
    hace 9 años
    Having lived in both cities (currently residing near the beach near LA), I'd say that "outdoor living" is inconsistent with most people's experiences in NYC, unless you count pounding a crowded pavement, or taking a stroll through Central Park. LA is the hands-down winner on this one.
  • PRO
    Mega Builders
    hace 7 años

LA all the way ;)

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.