Houzz Logo Print
lizge

Size of art for very tall wall in living room

Elizabeth George
hace 10 años
I am wanting to get a piece of abstract art but am not sure of the size. I just know it needs to be large because the wall is attached to a vaulted ceiling that goes all the way to the second floor. The width of the wall is around 11 ft. Thanks so much for any input and suggestions.

Comentarios (63)

• Elizabeth George
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Wow Manon you are awesome. Thank you so much, I was trying to visualize it in the space
  • Avril Rainville
    hace 10 años
    Always go bigger than you think you should with a prominent location like this. 40 inches by 60 inches would be the smallest size piece to consider. If you prefer smaller pieces, consider making an interesting collage out of, say 9 or 12 pieces such as the layout I just put up in our spare bedroom.
  • Elizabeth George
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Your layout is great. I have a similar grouping in my spare bedroom/ den of vinyl records I framed. The piano player is 60 by 48. I am looking at his store and several are speaking to me.
  • decoenthusiaste
    hace 10 años
    You and your stuff live below the window and door frames, so unless you find a monster of a painting you want to cover a large wall with, keep things within the normal footprint for living. 5-5-75 is a good rule of thumb. Center of pieces or groupings 5' above the floor, bottoms of pieces 5" above furniture they're with, and not more than 75% of the width of the furniture they're above. I don't care for FP mantel art that is wider than the firebox itself. Keep art and hanging items below door and window frames. These guidelines will lend more balance to your space. There are always exceptions. I have a friend who has two custom art pieces that are about 8'x10' and they were hung in the 2-story dining room above the china cabinet and arched opening to the living room. Looked great, but the exception for sure.
  • Elizabeth George
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Balance is very important to me, and I think I get the rule, I am going to go measure the dimensions out on the wall. Thanks
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    hace 10 años
    Última modificación: hace 10 años
    Jumping in here: Can each of the sofas run perpindicular to the fireplace so that one is not on the stair wall? Then place the round coffee table between? Then hang the art over the fireplace?
    Beach House · Más información
  • Elizabeth George
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    This is a very oddly shaped room. The wall the fireplace is on is on a diagonal and the other wall leads to a sliding glass door. I hired a designer for her time to just give me a furniture layout and that's what she came up with. Yet to come, using her design, is a small bench in front if the fireplace with a rug angled on the fireplace front and she had wanted me to have a table between the two couches but I loved the tree there.
    I just took moved one of the couches and slid the other one out. It does leave an odd corner that could be filled with a sofa table but then I realized the big chair would have nowhere to go. Kinda of drug it around to show in attached pics. Cats and slide around furniture moving blanket are bonus. Thanks for commenting, I love all the feedback. Please keep suggesting too!
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    hace 10 años
    Could you angle the sofas off the fireplace like this? A bit floating in the room? Try moving the lighted tree to the right of the fireplace…the same distance as the door is from the fireplace.
    Showhome 2010 - 2 · Más información
  • Elizabeth George
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    The one on the left is actually a big chair. It is the piece that will have nowhere to go. The other couch is out of shot .as seen in photo two. I also noticed it seemed to feel even smaller. It's a small odd shaped room!
  • Alison Heppell
    hace 10 años
    Tall palm plant?
  • Elizabeth George
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    The chair is pictured plus cat and cat sheet over the chair. Pic two gives an idea of the odd shape and high ceiling. Love the discussion as I am obsessed with trying to decorate my first place slowly and beautifully.
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    hace 10 años
    What if the two sofas touch arms on an angle?
    Living Room · Más información
  • Elizabeth George
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Judy g I'm going to move it now, just saw your post
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    hace 10 años
    Take a pix. There has to be some way to make this work.

How did my cat get on your chair? Did you let her in?
  • Elizabeth George
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Couldn't move the glass tables by the fireplace, too heavy and chair is just pushed to the side but this is my interpretation f your pic
  • Elizabeth George
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Like this?
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    hace 10 años
    How does it look? More importantly, how does it feel?

Could the coffee table go closer to the fireplace and the glass tables go between the sofas?

Angle the sofa on the right more to the fireplace and then adjust the other.

Kitty is saying “what is going on and why is my tree here?"

Will that give you space in the corner where the tree was to put the other chair with a floor lamp or small table and lamp?
  • Elizabeth George
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    It's hard to tell because of the chair but i think I like it. I only moved the smaller of the nesting glass tables because of its weight. The kitties think this is an adventure
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    hace 10 años
    Trying to see if this works for your room.
    Living Room · Más información
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    hace 10 años
    Separate the sofas a bit. Then hang art over the mantel.
  • Elizabeth George
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    The weird corner
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    hace 10 años
    Put the tree back but corner it. I am liking the sofas on an angle. And love the sofa away from the stair wall.
    So hard to tell from pictures…difficult to judge the size of the room. Would the chair now fit to the right of the fireplace? Or is it too big?
  • 2dogssashatess
    hace 10 años
    when looking for art, I agree with an earlier poster who said buy an original as if you ever need to sell it you can get your money back. This is generally true, but when you buy your original artwork buy it at auction or from the artist, not a gallery ( as there is huge mark up).

I have a few framed prints at home which cost me a lot of money to buy and get framed and I know I would not get back a fraction of what I paid, but I bought them because I liked them.

I also have a couple of limited edition prints I picked up at garage sales cheap.
  • Elizabeth George
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Okay I separated them and put the tree back. It does feel cozier. I think I'm liking this angle a lot!!! : )
  • Elizabeth George
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    It does cut the flow and I would hate to lose the mirror, I put it there just for the reflection from the skylight. Hard to say, which way I like better. One feels cozy and the other feels bigger.
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    hace 10 años
    lsge, give it some time and play with the arrangement. From what I am seeing, the angle of the sofas draws attention to the fireplace. Go back up to Manon’s suggestion for art on the wall. You can still do that.

This was fun. Thanks for letting me be a part of it.
  • Elizabeth George
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    The two kitties are brothers, kitten cow and Tyger, and they have been assisting me with moving around the furniture
  • Elizabeth George
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    And it also feels more intimate with watching a fire, I always felt a bit too back. I think the art would showcase beautifully in the tall wall. How should I center it? Thanks Judyg for all the help!!! It was fun, and it has given me a lot more options.
  • Elizabeth George
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Cassie, I hadn't thought about trying to move to get to the screened in porch, which is used a lot. That's on the other side of the fireplace. Good to think about!!! I love all these creative minds, thank you all so much.
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    hace 10 años
    You are welcome. You are simply asking for advice and my comments just give you another perspective. Your house and your style is what counts. Love the room (even if it is driving you crazy).
    Elizabeth George agradeció a JudyG Designs
  • Elizabeth George
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    They are love seats, two seater max, and that's pretty close. I wanted larger but they wouldn't fit. And just one looked like it was floating and again this is the layout I was going with from the designer.
  • Elizabeth George
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Omg, Judyg, my first post here, when I first bought this town home, was over my fireplace painted tiles, they were green and red and beige...oh my. I was going crazy trying to figure it out!!! But I love it!!! It's so much fun. And they are painted pretty white now!! Thanks to a houzz user suggestion. Love it!!!
  • Elizabeth George
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    I thought what Manon did was great, it really gave me proper perspective. Thumbs up Manon for taking the time. Cassie, kitten cow looks kinda of like a dairy cow and tigers nose is like a tigers brown nose. And named with a y in honor of my dear friend Ty who moved to the uk years back.
  • Elizabeth George
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Talk about going crazy by decorating...try figuring out how to create a space in a roughly 6x5 loft. This is above the living room and the second floor is only the master bedroom and bath. You can't see it but the skylight is near the space above the stairs. Nothing fits so I'm going to make it just full of floor pillows and a piece of art.
  • Elizabeth George
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    : ) I sent you an email earlier today.
  • PRO
    Lindsay Cowles LLC
    hace 9 años
    Hi Cassie, I am an artist and paint large abstract paintings. Its hard to tell exact scale from the picture, but I would suggest a 48"x60", 36"x48", 40"x50". I offer both prints and originals. The prints look very much like originals and have hand applied texture. Prints can be seen on http://lindsaycowlesfineart.bigcartel.com. Feel free to email me at lindsaycowlesfineart@gmail.com with questions too!
  • PRO
    Rebecca Mitchell Interiors
    hace 9 años
    Just because the ceilings are vaulted doesn't mean you have to hang very high artwork. The artwork has to balance with the width of the wall and more importantly the width of the sofa under it. On another note, would you consider pulling the love seats away from the walls and placing them perpendicular to the fireplace (facing each other with the table in between)? Put an area rug under this arrangement to anchor the seating arrangement. Good luck from Montreal!
  • PRO
    SavvyArt Market
    hace 9 años
    I would be happy to help you find something. You have so many choices with prints, reproductions, canvases, and originals I can put some options together for you so you can pick what you love for the budget you want to spend. I am an artist and art consultant with a website of original art plus offer framing, mirrors etc for reproductions. There are 1000s of images you can choose from.
  • ladydog5
    hace 9 años
    I need big time help....I've got 12' ceilings and two walls with trim that are 13' and 18' wide with 3 panels. Don't want the fish artwork anymore....can you suggest something?
  • ladydog5
    hace 9 años
    I need big time help....I've got 12' ceilings and two walls with trim that are 13' and 18' wide with 3 panels. Don't want the fish artwork anymore....can you suggest something?
  • zazfuzzroc
    hace 9 años
    @lizge, I loved the colors in your room. I would love to see the finished room. I liked what you had. Love blue. Great space, love the angles. :)
  • Avril Rainville
    hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años
    @ladydog5, I would suggest a collection of beautiful round snazzy designed modern mirrors, say 5 in the center larger panel and 3 each (2 smaller on top and bottom, plus one medium size mirror in the center, aligned vertically in the two smaller panels). The reflective qualities of the 'mirror collection' would take the minds' eye off the panel stripes. But this technique won't be as effective if you choose rectangular or square mirrors (must be round).
  • J.W.
    hace 9 años
    You could try and minimize the visual impact of the vertical space by drawing the eye horizontally using a wide picture with some dramatic colour
  • Elizabeth George
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Update: room has been rearranged but haven't found the right art yet

• Marie Hernandez
    hace 7 años

Looking forward to hearing an update!

• PRO
    SavvyArt Market
    hace 7 años

Hi Marie The space with the tall wall has a light feel, as represented by the furniture, accent colours and artwork on the right wall. What about a set of 6 Silver Wave prints with silver foil accents? Can be printed large and displayed 3 over 3 or 3 rows of 2 across. Click here to see them: Silver Waves I would frame each print around 27" w - 30"+ w with a 2-3" white mat behind the print floating in front of the mat, in a distressed silver frame. All the same frames. You could also do a champagne coloured frame to pick up your pillows.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 7 años

I know this is an old post. Did you ever find art for the space?

• Elizabeth George
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

@beverlyFLADeziner

yes! It took a long time but I got a custom art from a great artist on Etsy and was able to figure out a better furniture arrangement. What do you think? I'm going to hang it about 6 inches higher to be the same height as mirror over mantel . Does my room need anything else? The first pic is taken further back into the adjoining dining room. The second is of the same living room space pictured in the start of this post.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 7 años

I do have a few suggestions, though I love what you've done with the place.

• Turn the mirror to accentuate the height in your room
    • Center the painting on the wall
    • Replace the small demilune table and lamp with this faux plant from Amazon
    • I would add a picture light over the new painting to accentuate the art
    • Add a slender floor lamp next to the loveseat.
    • Maybe bring blue to the seating with pillows.

See example below of picture lights

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.