Houzz Logo Print
edubya

Most Durable Couch Fabric?

Emily H
hace 10 años
When you have pets, kids, and potentially careless housemates, what is the best fabric to choose for an upholstered couch?

Share your experience! (photos encouraged)

https://www.houzz.com/photos/55-central-park-west-transitional-living-room-new-york-phvw-vp~5089903

Comentarios (90)

• sscovanner
    hace 9 años
    Outré! Where are you located in Indiana? Close to Cincinnati perhaps?? In the market for a sofa/sectional.
  • User
    hace 9 años
    @nnigrt....
    The solution to kitty claws..my cat is fine with his. Because he is a very manly cat (cough), his are rockstar black and gold glitter instead of pinks or whatever...
  • PRO
    User
    hace 9 años
    This outdoor canvas is a favorite for pets and heavy duty use in family rooms. I've been making slipcovers for over 25 years, and the Outdoor Canvas we carry on our website has a 60,000 rub rating and goes through the washer like a champ. Little to no fading, and the smooth texture is much less interesting to cats. Pet fur brushes off easily, stains don't soak in well. It has a really nice feel to it, crisp and close to a cotton canvas. You don't put it in the dryer. It comes in a ton of colors.

We also have a new fabric design called Ireland Tweed, which we'll be adding in a lot more colors. It washes great, can look modern or cottage-y, even dressy depending on how it's tailored.

My other workhorse fabric for a family room is a heavy ticking stripe, the pinstripe is more forgiving of smudges than a flat solid.

For some pattern and texture, our Fiji Palm frond woven fabric is casual and pretty kid and dog friendly, it has a Mattelasse texture and will hide lots of living. It will be too tempting for cats, but it's great for a home with large dogs.

I personally don't like microsuede, here in the hot South it's not nice to sit on. Also, there is so much cheap furniture covered in it that it makes a nicer sofa look a bit down-market. It does clean up well, but it shows everything so unless you're constantly cleaning it doesn't look great day to day.

That's my two cents, slipcovers are the way to go! Mix in some leather if you want, but all-leather rooms can be very limiting.
  • Tony C
    hace 8 años

Hi there, I just went to your website to look for the canvas. Didn't have much luck finding. Do you sell fabrics online? If so, would it be possible for you to post a link. Thanks in advance :-)

• PRO
    Outre
    hace 8 años

Tony,
    Thanks for contacting us concerning your fabric search. Are you looking for 100% canvas or just a canvas style? 100% canvas I would have to do some searching for you, but if you are looking for a canvas look, I carry some fabrics by Sunbrella that are canvas looking.

http://www.trivantage.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchDisplay?storeId=10151&catalogId=10002&langId=-1&pageSize=16&beginIndex=0&searchSource=Q&sType=SimpleSearch&resultCatEntryType=2&showResultsPage=true&pageView=image&searchTerm=canvas

I know that is a long link but that is some stuff that is canvas looking. If you want pricing on something like that let me know.

Another source is Miami Corp www.miamicorp.com out of Cincy.

What are you trying to use the fabric for? Maybe I can steer you in a different direction.

Thanks

Eric

• Tony C
    hace 8 años

Hi Eric, Thanks for your reply. I have a daybed, 2 ottomans and a bedspread i need to cover. I have 2 dogs and a bunch of cats. The cats do scratch the furniture sometimes but it looks crappy at this point so i dont really care. The main thing is that one of my dogs likes to burrow and get comfy on the couch and bed. So i need to make some super durable, easy to clean covers, that he cant dig up. Ive lost 2 memory foam mattress toppers and the really nice foam on top of the mattress on the daybed is done. GRRRR, lol. Thanks again :-)

• PRO
    Outre
    hace 8 años

Got ya! One thing to look at on fabric is "double rubs." Generally anything over 8-15k is ok for residential use, however in your situation you may want to look for fabric that is 50k+. The more double rubs a fabric has, the better is "should" stand up to use. You can find really nice polyesters that have 30k+ double rubs and some commercial grade fabrics from

http://www.mayerfabrics.com/Info.aspx?s=Products

May help. If I can be of any further assistance let me know.

Eric

• denisenj13
    hace 8 años

does anyone have any experience with pottery barns washed linen fabric or the brushed canvas? Can't decide. I have 3 kids and a dog and need it to be durable. I plan on getting the PB comfort roll arm slipcovered but can't decide on a fabric. I love that either fabric I can wash but nervous about wrinkles after people sit on it.

• Teresa Smith
    hace 8 años

denlsenj13 -- if you are going for slip covers -- there are going to be wrinkles - I am afraid there is little you can do about that. If both fabrics are washable you can press or steam them ( I press mine ) If they are tight slipcovers there usually aren't many wrinkles but loose slipcovers will show wrinkles. Our sofas are greeted by many a happy hind quarter ( we throw a ton of parties and have many house guests) If the wrinkles make you crazy make sure it is a tight fit on the slipcover. ( I would choose the brushed canvas - it wears like iron)

• denisenj13
    hace 8 años

thanks for the advice Teresa!

• PRO
    Outre
    hace 8 años

Denisenj13, Teresa gave you some great advice as well, but all slip covers are going to be very tough to keep "wrinkle free." I would never choose linen if you are looking for something durable. Linen is very tough to clean and usually stretches quite a bit which is why it is comfortable and breathable, but lacks on the durability. Canvas is going to be a better more durable option, but most of the durability with a piece of furniture has to do with the frame, foam and seam strength of the sewing that has been done.

http://www.potterybarn.com/pbimgs/ab/images/i/201527/0003/images/shop/pip_pdfs/Fabric-Guide.pdf

Check out this link above. The "linen" that they use is 55% linen and 45% cotton, so not a 100% linen. That should help the durability. As I mentioned above in a previous post, try to look for the Wyzenbeek Double Rub info. Anything over 30,000 is going to be pretty durable for residential use. On a quick glance, I did not find any of that info on their website.

Quick example, canvas fabric with double top stitch seams would be a great cover for a cushion, but use that cover on a cushion that lacks the proper density and IFD in the foam and 2 years down the road you have a great looking cover on a pancake smashed foam core. Same with back cushions/pillows. Great covers but poor interior construction leads to issues down the road. All seat cushion foam should be over 1.8 density, Outre uses no less than 2.0 in all of our seating applications. Maybe another good question to ask on that PB Rolled Arm Sofa. Looks like they use Recycled Poly and Partial Recycled Sinuous Seat springs for the seat deck.

Another way to look at it is this. How many sofas/chairs do you see that have major holes or worn spots though the fabric? Probably not that many. Be we have all seen sofas/chairs that have smashed cushions, back cushions that sag, or seams that have popped because of thread issues, or frames that bend and squeak because of poor interior components. Getting the right look with fabric is important, but fabric is like the tuxedo. Most gentlemen look great in a tux because it covers up all of our flaws :)

Happy to answer any other questions you have in this thread or private message. My family has been building furniture since 1972, so we have done/seen almost everything.

Cheers

Eric/Outre

• PRO
    Outre
    hace 8 años

sscovanner

I have to apologize, I just saw your post about our location...We are in the Indiana Design Center in Carmel. About 2 hours from Cincy. I saw your message was from April so you probably moved on, but would be happy to help.

Eric

• Mark GOODLIFFE
    hace 8 años

Hi - just signed in to Houzz - found you on Google. I'm a Brit living in the Middle East. Interesting overview here. I currently have

small but important project, rebuilding my high-back office chair. Now I feel humble but I work a lot from home so it's important to me. I couldn't see what I wanted amongst all the mass producers, so I'm thickening the bent ply waterfall seat and ached high-back bases, the very best of all new hardware from the US of course and 4 or 5" Dunlop latex foam. Now I've hit into the infinite world of fabric and upholstery.

I saw the attached at a local supplier: that's what I want. Cotton-rich for the hot climate and breathable, stain resistant (for coffee and wine), no dogs but the occasional Chihuahua petting, UV resistant and very hard-wearing. No prints, or bold patterns: I love the old MG Racing Green or a rich Forest Green, so plain colour with maybe a subtle textured tightly woven basketweave that doesn't snag, or even the 2-tone of a faux suede I don't mind. No button-back or beading. It doesn't need anything else: simple elegance from the double seam stitching, polished aluminum base, chrome cylinder and polished Maple arms. That's it. I know I'll need a liner underneath as well: any ideas on the top fabric and liner?

The 1st photo is the existing 2005 faded fabric and double seam, and the 2nd the fabric I saw locally that liked if its up to standard but I don't know the source. Thanks for any pointers you can offer on the top fabric and underliner.

• Cheryl Humphrey
    hace 8 años

I am researching for a purchase in about 6 months. I had a microfiber sofa and chair last but when they were almost new, my son had surgery and spent his recovery in the recliner. He was sweaty from fevers, etc and the result was my chair never recovered. I want to buy something that will last for years since I am nearing retirement and plan to have this new furniture for a long, long time. Leather is very tempting, but since we live in Florida and being hot and sweaty isn't uncommon, I am concerned with stains, comfort, and durability. The new set will NOT be microfiber.

• PRO
    Sandi Perry Interiors
    hace 8 años

Hi Cheryl, leather is cool in the summer as well, I think you might be thinking of the 'sweaty' part in regards to a man-made leather or bonded leather which is 90% plastic material with a bit of actual leather thrown in...sort of like the chicken McNugget of leather. I would suggest any material you select come with at least 50,000 rubs as guarantee of its durability. All fabric gets rated this way, so ask your furniture dealer about it. Good luck!!

• PRO
    Outre
    hace 8 años

Mark GOODLIFFE, any good upholstery weight fabric should be fine, I don't see the double rub info on that fabric but stay above 30,000 and I think you will be ok. I also saw that you said breathable because of the "Hot Climate", natural fibers like Cotton will be better for that application but could limit the durability. Any fabric company or supplier should be able to give you the double rub info. Just a tip, Latex foam is amazing for durability, but usually it is because it is more dense and may end up being a bit hotter to sit on because of air flow. I would stay above a 2.0 density foam, 1.8 at the least. Latex is great, just thought I would mention a little downside. If you have any other questions please feel free to message me directly. Happy to help.

Cheryl, good advice from Sandi above. You can spend a fortune on leather furniture and unfortunately there is a lot of misinformation out there about leather. Most of what you see at "big box" stores in bonded leather. Just leather fibers glued to a backing. Cheap stuff. Leather can be very breathable, (car seats) but you need to be in the "top grain" leathers, basically the first cut of the top of the hide. Really breathable top grain leathers you can actually pull or stretch the leather and see some perforation because of the hair follicles from the cow. Top grain is great for that reason, but usually pretty expensive because it is the most sought after. Anything over 30,000 should be fine for normal residential use, but "usually" the higher the double rub the more durable the fabric. I say that but I just saw some pictures of a fabric that was 100,000 double rubs and it looks like junk. Tough to gauge it some times. A little advice, get something that is 100% hardwood in the frame and good quality foam. Colors and design trends change so often that buying a good quality piece of furniture that can be reupholstered down the road may be your best bet for some thing that will "last for years."

Happy to answer any other questions if you want to private message me.

Best of luck.

Eric

• Cheryl Medina
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

Outre/Eric, looking for your opinion please. We're currently looking for new reclining furniture and want to switch from leather to fabric. We have large dogs that rub up against the furniture (and sometimes sit on our laps) so I'm looking for fabric I can wash with a small upholstery machine with water. I've read all of the posts here so I understand the cleaning codes, see higher # double rubs should be more durable and to look for 2.0 density foam cushions and hardwood frame. I still like the look of leather and have been investigating the leather look Polyester/Polyurethane blends. I notice the percentages of these vary within fabrics. So my question(s) are: In your opinion is this a good choice for me? Does the percentage matter? Will this material pill over time?

Also, is it possible to recover and re-do some of the cushions and backs of our current reclining furniture? Is it worth it or should I just buy new? I have a friend in the decorating business who could get fabric for me. Thanks so much in advance for your advice.

• PRO
    Outre
    hace 8 años

Cheryl,

Thanks for your questions. When it comes to "faux" leather or vinyl there are lots of options and to be honest we have had decent results with some and not so great with others. I am actually reupholstering some pieces right now that had a vinyl on them with a 5 year warranty and was designed for commercial use that basically started to chip and peal right off. One company that we have had a lot of luck with is UltraFabrics. Click on this link https://www.ultrafabricsllc.com/Site/Products/ to learn more about these products. My wife has a friend who used one of the UltraLeather products on a sectional and while it is not ideal for some it works great for them because they have kids and she can use a disinfectant wipe on the entire piece. May be worth checking some of their lines. Their Cora line has a bit of a microfiber look to it. I do think that they have an UltraSuede fabric as well.

Teflon or Crypton is also an option. These are simply treated fabrics that have some stain protection added. Usually will pay more for these types of fabrics but it would cost you to have a piece treated after it is done as well.

No fabric is perfect. Realistic expectations will help as well. No fabric will last forever :) As with most things cost vs benefit will go a long way. If you spend $100 on something that you absolutely love and it last a few years and you enjoy it may outweigh the cheap vinyl option that you hate sitting in every day.

Some commercial grade fabric companies to check out. Mayer Fabrics, Architex, DesignTex, Knoll, Carnegie D.L. Couch to name a few.

When it comes to reupholstering goods here are my two cents. 1. If you LOOOOVEEE it and can't live without it then it maybe worth it in the long run. 2. If it is a family heirloom or has some sentimental value that can't be replaced then it is probably worth it. Other than that it may be best to donate the pieces to a local charity and start looking for new. When it comes to the pieces that my company produces it would be worth reupholstering simply because I know our frames are going to be in good shape once we get inside the piece. We use 100% 7/8" hardwood frames in all of our pieces so the chances of it being broken without me knowing it before we start working on it are slim to none. You can go though all of the work of getting a piece to someone to work on it and then have them get inside and see that there needs to be some frame work done or that the reclining mechanism is towards the end of its life and then it can be more than you originally anticipated. Fabric and labor are going to be the most expensive part but that is the same when it comes to new.

Best of luck in your search, if you have any other questions please let me know.

Eric

• treacherouswendy
    hace 8 años

Geobella by Phifer....it is practically indestructible!!

• Diane Lauletta
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

Wow, so much knowledge and advice here! Yet, I still could use some. I have a sofa/love seat set that, structurally, is fine. We've had it almost nine years and it's not creaky or wobbly, despite it being a launching pad for my son and his friends. BUT, our nest-making boxer/pit bull has destroyed each and every seat cushion, both sides. I've contacted the manufacturer (Klaussner) about buying replacement covers but they don't offer them.

I can't afford to buy a whole new set right now and see that many people suggest slip covers. What kind? Sure Fit? Stretchy kind? The one piece kind? Can you recommend a brand and style that's affordable and low-maintenance? I also have cats, who- when the dog is not inside, are likely to scratch anything in their path. Thank you to anyone for suggestions! (Btw, dog now spends his nights in his crate with a very old microfiber couch cushion that has yet to succumb to his burrowing;)

• PRO
    Terratech Construction Group Inc.
    hace 8 años

We have built some log furniture for a custom cabin. The owners would like to upholster it in camouflage material (like hunting camouflage, think Larry the cable guy, not Viet Nam). There are several companies that produce proprietary camo patterns, which are really a pattern of branches and leaves. I have pricing from an upholstery supply company for "heat transfer" Polar fleece, polyester twill, and quick dry. Which do you think would feel the best, and hold up to a cabin environment?

• PRO
    Outre
    hace 8 años

Diane, Sorry we don't really do anything in the slip cover arena. I hope someone else can answer your question.

Terratech Construction..I am guessing that you are looking for something like this... http://hancockfabrics.com/mossy-oak-camouflage-7-ounce-on-cotton-fabric-3449493.html

I would ask the company that is giving you the pricing for any double rub info they may have if it is going to be used as upholstery. If it is light use anything over 20k would probably work just fine. I would guess anything that is Poly Twill will be close or over that as Polyester usually has a good wear rating. "Quick Dry"...Really depends on if there is any sort of foam/cushion involved. It is great if the fabric can dry quick but if the foam gets saturated then it really won't matter. There are outdoor foams available, we use a foam called DriFast in most of our outdoor applications. Limited in feel options but recommend for applications where furniture may be come saturated. http://foammart.com/foam-flexible-open-cell/dri-fast/

Feel on this project may be tough as any thing with that pattern is going to have to be heat transferred or dye sublimated. Both of which will likely change the feel of the base fabric a little bit. I have some contacts in the dye sublimated world if you want to private message me.

Best of luck

Eric

• PRO
    Terratech Construction Group Inc.
    hace 8 años

Yes, exactly what we are looking for, Thanks for the info, the company I am talking to is in Canada, and pricing is similar to the Hancock, but in Canadian dollars, so savings of 35%

Doug

• dshmamh
    hace 8 años

I have a sofa and love seat that I've had for 35 years - paid a fortune for it initially, but it is upholstered in a beautiful wool tweed which looked like new until the last year or so when it began to fade. We haven't been gentle with it - kids and two dogs.....

• mydogmiddy
    hace 8 años
    SUNBRELLA or leather. My cocker always sat on our leather couch. Never had scratches or punctures from his nails. He did prefer a blanket on the couch in the winter!
  • essmith2
    hace 7 años
    I prefer nylon or I guess a nylon blend. Had our older Penney's sofa recovered 20 years ago in a great nylon ... might call it a tightly woven tweed. Had worn like iron and looked great. But by now, the padding on top of the rolled arms has shifted and some of the soil is no longer coming out. If I could twitch my nose to have it be a color that matches with my newer side chair fabric and rug, I'd gladly just get the two sofa cushions restuffed!
  • superiorfestus
    hace 7 años
    Nice
  • Viktoriia Bobrova
    hace 7 años

where can i buy fabric for my own project? Something not very expensive, but trusting. I checked Amazon and found nothing that will be with prime for security. When i go directly on the websites like Crypton or Jo-Anns, prices are crazy high. And i need about 25 yards, so it comes out to a big number. I am so lost. we be very glad for any advice.

• PRO
    Outre
    hace 7 años

Viktoriia,

Good afternoon. If you are looking for something that is fairly durable then I would stay with some type of polyester blend fabric. Usually polyester holds up well. What are you using the fabric for? Sofa, Chairs, Drapes??? Just curious 25 yards is a decent amount. You can check https://barrowindustries.com/BarrowSearch.asp and search by color if you want. I buy a lot of fabric from this company and I have had very few issues. They are a business to business fabric resource but I can buy and resell it to you if you find something you like.

If you can let me know what it is for and maybe some colors that interest you or send me an image of something you like, I can probably pull items more quickly.

Thanks

Eric

• Cee Bee
    hace 7 años

Outre, two questions? How durable would a 9k linen/rayon blend (70/30) be for a sofa? Hubby and I FINALLY found a fabric we both love and agree on but were disappointed with the 9k count. No kids, no pets. We're informal, like to lie on couch, and entertain (wine stains, gulp!) this is the couch, and we found a beautiful cream color fabric with a sheen. Also, would you keep this a three seat and three back cushions (original) or two back, one bench cushion? Other ideas? Was toying with a more streamlined look, like the second photo (minus the skirt) Thanks for your help!

• wmsimons85
    hace 7 años

I know this is an old thread and hope you see it, Outre do you have a website? Do you ship within the US?

• PRO
    Barnhart Gallery
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

Here is Outre's website and contact information -- make sure you tell them you saw them on houzz:

http://itstheniche.com/

• PRO
    Outre
    hace 7 años
    Meeabode
    Sorry for the slow response. 9k is definitely low on the double rubs. As mentioned before no fabric is perfect and a lot depends on how you use the sofa. If this is your main sofa in the home I would recommend looking for something a little more durable. Another worry is "pilling" with a fabric like that. I am sure that it feels nice as it is mostly linen but if you are going use it daily then it may wear quick. Single vs multiple cushions is always a tough question. People hate sitting on cracks :) the toughest part of a single cushion is keeping the seam straight over time and casual wrinkles after use. I would think a 9k fan would definitely have some casual wrinkles as it stretches. If you want to go with a single cushion I would definitely look for more durable fabric and maybe ask if the manufacturer recommends getting the fabric backed. Hope that helps.

WMSimons85
    Yes we can, we manufacturer in Indiana but have shipped all over. My website is about to change to more of a look book style but if you have any ideas of what you are looking for please private message me and I can send pics of anything we have done that is similar.

Barnhart Gallery
    Thanks for your help :)

As always anything I can do to help you all please let me know. Fabric is the toughest part of what we do. Trying to find the best fit can be hard and really annoying

Thanks

Eric
  • sarasalma
    hace 7 años
    Hello! Ok a big decision to make. Have to get a 20 seater sofa (goes all round the room I mean) it is a very formal seating are for many visitors at once. Do you think this fabric would be a good option?
  • PRO
    Outre
    hace 7 años

sarasalma,

That is going to be one big sofa :) Good luck! Fabric looks very pretty, a little light on the abrasion rating. You can read some of my comments above on that abrasion issue. 15k is what some would consider "for light use". Usually you want to stay over 30k for "heavy use" Here is something else to consider. If that piece is going to sit that many people then it will likely take a significant amount of yardage to complete. Definitely somewhere north of 60+ yards would be safe to assume. Some fabrics come on bolts that are 30-35, some come on bolts that are 55-60. I do see that in the tag it says color may vary from Dye Lot to Dye Lot so do your best to get them to send you cuttings so that you can check the color. It is tough to tell the overall color on the internet, but it is probably worth getting a couple of cuttings to make sure that it is very close to the same.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Eric

• Ben Hillman
    hace 7 años
    just looking
  • Cee Bee
    hace 7 años
    Hello. Advice? I attached a photo of the sofa in my earlier thread but now down to my last few options. I will not use the 9k fabric but now here are my choices. 1) An oyster velvet? Some texture from the light and feels great. Solid color so will go with anything. 2) a fábric with more texture and a hint of gold. Just a bit more interesting and i do have gold as as accent but it's not totally solid 3) a two tone where I would do brown and cream if I'm a little nervous about the upkeep of a cream sofa (or could I just use beautiful throws and not commit myself to the cushions).
  • Shauna Bronsman
    hace 7 años

We have three very large dogs that shed A LOT and I admit, we let them lay on the couch just as much as we do since they are a part of the family. We have had a "leather looking," I believe bonded leather, sectional for two years and it already looks destroyed. Cushions are discolored and even though our dogs are washed regularly it has the continuous smell of dog that I cannot get out of it no matter what I try, and I have tried EVERYTHING. We are going to have to start looking for something new and I am not sure what to get that will work with all the dog hair and that will not hold a dog smell like our current sectional. We cannot afford anything real expensive so does anyone have any suggestions of what type of sectionals we should look at?

• PRO
    Outre
    hace 7 años

meeabode

Sorry for the late response. I try to check this thread often, but life has been busy. I hope you were able to make a selection. Cream colors are tough. They look very nice when done and new but can be a pain to keep clean. You may ask around to some local interior designers if they know of anyone they trust that would treat that fabric. There are lots of options out there for aftermarket fabric treatments. We use "Microseal" on a lot of our pieces. We have a local vendor that is able to come to homes and treat the pieces where they sit. Best of luck.

Shauna Bronsman,

Dogs!!!! Gotta love em'. I have two myself and we have a light gray linen sofa in our sitting room that was starting to take a beating from our Weim. I bought a simple throw for dogs and put it on there so that we could keep the sofa looking nice and still allow them up on the sofa. I know that is not ideal, but when we are having "Formal" company we usually take the throw off and that is when we wash it and put it back after they leave. Bonded leather is great as it is a cheap option to get a leather look, but it does have its down sides. If the sofa is sitting in direct sunlight from windows you may want to consider getting some UV/Heat protection film installed. UV and heat really do a number on interior furnishings. Not sure if this is the case, but something to consider.

Keeping your sofa vacuumed can make a big difference, but not obviously something you want to do every day. Keep an eye out at discount warehouses for good deals on sofas/chairs. Labor Day and Memorial Day weekends are big sales weekends for almost all furniture places. Maybe you could find something new that isn't terribly expensive. Even with our two dogs we will be needing to reupholster our main sofa after 5 or 6 years because of the wear and tear.

The main answer to your question-Don't let your dogs on your furniture :) But since that isn't going to happen just find something in your budget that works for a few years and plan on replacing. Reupholstering can cost/and usually does cost as much as something new.

• Rosamond Crawley
    hace 6 años

I am in the market for a couple of new sofas and found this thread while searching for Crypton fabric reviews. I notice that the Crypton fabric discussions were more like 4-5 years ago. So I'm wondering if there is any updated information. I am wanting cream sofas. When I asked my local decorator/high end furniture store how in the world people kept them clean with use, she immediately showed me some samples of gorgeous sofas with Crypton fabric. They were supper soft and comfortable. Have the fabrics evolved since the comments 4-5 years ago? It is definitely a pricey sofa but I'm willing to pay the price to get the look I want IF the fabric is as wonderful as she says it is. I have 9 grandchildren and 2 small dogs.

• staceyksimon
    hace 6 años

I'm interested in knowing which Crypton fabric you selected. I've heard that some are stiff. Also, has anyone ordered furnture directly from Crypton? I'm looking at their Holmes sofa... Thanks!

• bcandyfl
    hace 6 años

Also following to learn more about crypton. It's just come up as a choice on some furniture I'm considering. Would folks recommend it over sunbrella?

• bcandyfl
    hace 6 años

Also following to learn more about crypton. It's just come up as a choice on some furniture I'm considering. Would folks recommend it over sunbrella?

• 12designhouse
    hace 6 años
    I'm considering a fabric that has a Wyzenbeek double rub of 26000 and consists of 20%cotton, 48% polyester and 32% polyacrylic. I have a dog and the sofa will receive daily use. Can this fabric be expected to wear well? Thank you!
  • PRO
    Mint Design and Development LLC
    hace 6 años

There are indoor outdoor fabrics in almost every finish, even velvets, these days. They are water and fade resistant. I recommend you look at them for durability. Almost every ,major fabric house carries them.

• PRO
    Outre
    hace 6 años

Most major fabric suppliers...Kravet, Robert Allen, Lee Jofa, Duralee and this list goes on and on have services to treat their fabric with stain protection technology. Crypton and Nanotex are two of the bigger "Brand Recognition" names out there. Sure, some are better than others but with anything like this, it is simply protection. It's like having insurance :) Sometimes it is the best money ever spent and other times you will question your decision. I personally have fabric protection on all of my pieces in my home with a 2 year old and 2 dogs. When my two year old wipes her yogurt mouth on the cushions it is nice to have, but in no way is it "bulletproof." I have had major fabric companies treat fabric before they send it to us for fabrication. Sometimes it is $5 per yard sometimes it is more.

In my experience, fabric is going to get ruined or stained or just plain outdated no matter what you do to protect it. More importantly use a manufacturer that stands behind its construction so that if and when you have to reupholster you can recover the piece and not just trash an entire sofa.

As far as the other questions- 26,000 double rubs is a nice durable fabric as far as the testing says :) I have seen 200k double rub fabric fall apart after 3 years because it was being cleaned improperly. Follow the cleaning instructions for any fabric and take care of your furniture. I would guess that fabric would be great for 5-10 years.

Sunbrella fabric is great and has come a long way in the past few years. Check out their Trivantage, Fusion, and Shift line of fabrics. Way more residential interior looking than what used to be available. Almost all of Sunbrella's fabric is Solution Dyed Acrylic. These fabrics carry a 5 year warranty against noticeable fading and wear and tear. Again, a good manufacturer helps too.

If you are having heavy fade issues...look into window film like Llumar and Vista in your local areas.

Best of luck

• iitonogan
    hace 6 años

Am considering Wayfair fabric comprised of 20% linen/80%polyester. Would there be a problem with pilling or durability — we have a cat and this loveseat will be sat on daily by husband and I. Most of the time we’ll throw a coverlet over it. Requested double rub info but have yet to receive. Thank you!

• OldGrayMare
    hace 6 años
    Ooh...polyester is hot and itchy (depending on weave). Ugh. Leather is the best. I’ve had more sofas than the average person (always moving in the military and the previous one never seemed to fit in the new house/apartment...LOL). Bought first leather one 6 years ago (retired now...yea!), and would never buy anything else! Dog hair?...poof...brush it off! Spills?....dabs up in a jiffy! Comfy? Oh yeah....stretched out on it right now...my normal nap spot, and the hubs and I share it every night for the TV news and a footrub. THis will be my last sofa...ever....at least until they cart me off to the nursing home!
  • Faith True
    hace 5 años
    Someone said microfiber is May not be attractive to cat claws but I can tell you that is not the case. Our cat destroyed the sides of our tab microfiber sofas. Also people are saying ballpoint pen etc cake right out? Not my experience. We tried every kind of stain remover possible (we have 5 kids and one cat). Our tan microfiber couches looked terrible after about 2 years. Also they feel grimey to me, like they soak up your sweat or something... I don’t like it at all. We got a second hand slipcovered sofa with cotton polyester blend fabric. It’s light colored but has some kind of treatment on it that makes it a little Water resistant. But the main thing is that all cushions and the body cover can be unzipped and stain treated and laundered.
  • Faith True
    hace 5 años
    Sorry for the typos ♀️
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.