Houzz Logo Print
gee918

Need help decorating living/dining combo room

Gigi
hace 10 años
My husband and I are having a difficult time deciding on how to decorate our living room/dining room. We have been living here for 2 years and the house still feels like we just moved in. We are looking for ideas on Wall decor as well as additional accessories/decor. We also want to replace the chairs on the dining room. What do you think wicker or beige tufted chairs? Any ideas you can contribute will be greatly appreciated! :) Am I asking for too much? :) Thanks!

Comentarios (14)

• PRO
    Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
    hace 10 años
    Can you post more photos of the room.

I think a large piece of art work on the wall would help.

Area rugs under the couch area and under the dining room table would help.

A bigger more colorful chair by the sofas and add a coffee table and some end tables with lamps.

A console table behind one of the couches with decorative vases and artwork.

A table runner on the dining room table with a vase or flower arrangement on top.

A chunkier chandelier

Wall sconces somewhere in the dining room ...........maybe, but I need to see the other walls.

There are so many things that you could do with your existing space and furniture by simply adding additional decor items.

Hire a local interior designer to spend a few hours shopping with you. You will be amazed at what can be done with a little shopping spree..
    Gigi agradeció a Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
  • PRO
    Warner Decor
    hace 10 años
    Hi! No you are not asking for too much! This is Houzz! You can ask away! I think that the first thing you need to incorporate into this are is an accent color. Looks like you have a lot of neutrals so I think that tying in a few more earth tones such as green, orange, and red may help the room come to life. I would first select an area rug for the living area so that you can choose accessory colors based on the rug (it's always good to have a color reference). Here are a few rugs that I would place there:

http://deciture.com/shop/rugs/world-market/striped-pebble-persimmon-chindi/ (more pops of color)

http://deciture.com/shop/rugs/pier-1-imports/wavy-geo-rugs-spice/ (orange/red)

http://deciture.com/shop/rugs/pier-1-imports/bala-leaf-loop-rugs/
    (more green)
    Hope this helps!
    Gigi agradeció a Warner Decor
  • Gigi
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Thanks for your feedback! Below are additional photos of the room. We like orange/greens/terracottas but don't know how to incorporate the colors in the space. We searched for bigger (rectangle) chandelier but couldn't find any that did not have "modern" feel. If you could suggest some that would be great! :)
  • PRO
    Budget Blinds and Inspired Drapes
    hace 10 años
    I'd start by finding a runner for the front door and an area rug for the living room. I'd also have a professional help you design drapes to define your dining room area. You could bring in the colors from the new rugs. You have really high ceilings so you need to get the drapery length just right. A window treatment professional can calculate the right length and rod placement for you. Good luck, such a great space to work with.
    Gigi agradeció a Budget Blinds and Inspired Drapes
  • User
    hace 10 años
    The problem is that the soaring ceiling dwarfs the furniture and space below. You could use mouldings to build large picture frame-like rectangles. Within these framed wall areas you could hang framed posters, or cover the spaces with wallpaper or an accent color of paint. It would make a big, inexpensive difference and would then be an inspiration to see what else would add texture and charm to the room. I like to decorate piece by piece and allow the room in progress to show me what else it requires. That's the fun of it.
    Gigi agradeció a User
  • mdelarosa
    hace 10 años
    mouldings on the walls would be nice
  • PRO
    "Un air de Paris" PHOTO FOR WALL
    hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años
    If you are always interest for a wall decor for your living room i have got some ideas for you.
    For the dinning room area with a patchwork of Paris photographs in black and white with a pop of color.
    You can check out my work at : http://www.photoforwall.com
  • PRO
    hace 9 años
    This wall art for your drink area !! With French bottles of wine and champagne, half in color and half in black and white !!
  • PRO
    hace 9 años
    And for your living room i think about a wall decor with 14 photos of flowers or New York theme.
  • housegal200
    hace 9 años
    Your big space would be greatly enhanced with 2-3 large-scale original art pieces or tryptichs . I don't agree that a bunch of small photos would work as well as a couple original or acrylic oil paintings which would bring in color and texture. Search for abstract versions of subjects you like in colors you like--landscapes, seascapes, skyscapes. Etsy.com is a great source of original art. You can commission larger versions of pieces you see on Etsy. Or consider dramatic, large-scale black and white photographs in subjects of interest to you, also on Etsy.

--A large rug in bold colors that pick up colors from the art would be a good way to warm up and anchor the living area. Teal or other blues or lime green would work well as accent colors in your room. The rug should be large enough for you to place the front legs of the sofa and chairs on it. Bring your chairs in closer so that speakers sitting in the room are about four feet apart.

-You need a large coffee table to give a conversational feel in the living room and introduce some color with books and accessories. (Add a pillow or two in an accent color related to rug or art.) If you get an interesting rug in a pattern, then a glass coffee table will let the color and pattern shine through.

--Your room can take a large mirror on the dining room wall, which will pick up light from the window and chandelier.

--People sitting in the chairs and sofa need side tables to put down a drink. Medium-sized round tables at either end of the sofa that can accommodate a table lamp would add some warmth. Put smaller round cocktails tables next to each chair. Side tables add an inviting, human touch.

--Is that side cabinet meant to be a bar? Hope so and if so, put a tray of bottles and glasses on top with a round mirror over the cabinet and tall buffet lamp on it. Look up "bar cabinet" on Apartment Therapy or Houzz to see how to set up an inviting bar.
  • Vicki Denson
    hace 9 años
    Your room needs color; your furniture and wall color are all neutrals. Art and textiles are a great way to bring in color. Your rooms have volume, and more wall space than floor space; so your art and curtains need to be large. You may need to have your curtains made to order, so they will be long enough to reach from the top of the upper window and down to the bottom. I agree with the others suggesting a large art instillation. With these thoughts in mind it may be worth it to find a local designer, they should know the locale resources for the specialties your room requires.
  • daveriella11062907
    hace 9 años
    hi un air de paris! I want to do on my wall your 'photo for wall" suggestion. may I know the frame sizes? thank you in advance!
  • PRO
    hace 9 años
    Hi Daveriella, in which set of ? Which one do you like ?
    There are ikea Frame :
    in frame of 20x20", 1 photo in 12x12"
    in frame of 9x9", 1 photo in 5x5"
    in frame of 9x20", 3 photos in 5x7"
    in frame of 16x20", 1 photo in 12x16"
    in frame of 12x16", 1 photo in 8x12"
    in frame of 8x12", 1 photo in 5x7"
    or in canvas size

Feel free to contact me here :
    http://www.houzz.com/pro/albanel/un-air-de-paris-photo-for-wall
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.