Houzz Logo Print
lilion

Need ideas for curb appeal!

hace 10 años
We are thinking of selling our house and so it's time to get some things done. First and foremost, we plan on doing some repairs and having the house painted as soon as the weather gets warmer, so we'll be getting bids soon. The house is currently this awful tan color I have wanted to paint for years. The shutters are green, in case you have trouble telling from the photo, as are the double front doors. I know I need to replace the stairway railing in order to come up to code.

I had thought of painting the house a pale yellow butter color, leaving the doors and shutters green. I don't really want to change the door color...but I might. It's fairly impossible to tell from the photos, but the trim around the windows are arches, I'll attach a drawing of it, but I'm no artist. I know it needs some plantings...we took out the bushes in the front and I've thought of putting some large urns on the river rock that fill the area around the basement windows. The planters on the landing are very old and I need to replace them with something.

The lights all are the same style, but the ones on the house have seen better days...since they are identical, I'd thought to see if I could paint them white to match the new one between the garage doors. The glass doors have seen better days, but we don't have the money to replace them...I'd like to see if I couldn't paint the metal frames as well, but don't know what, if anything, to use.

Any ideas on paint and decorating are welcome.

Comentarios (25)

• hace 10 años
    It is somewhat colonial... Green would accent the brick

http://houzz.com/photos/43212
    lilion agradeció a Shauna Cowley Filtz
  • hace 10 años
    Here are some closer photos, showing a bit of the brick work and the horrible paint as well as the window detail. We have someone coming to give us a bid on fixing the stairs, which are settling. Again, any suggestions are welcome.

[houzz=
    lilion's ideas · Más información
    ][houzz=
    ][houzz=
    ]
  • hace 10 años
    Roberta, I'm not sure I understand what you mean. The only white is the window casings - new - the soffits and garage doors (and the one light of course). Are you suggesting I go tan/beige on that? Or on the house? The doors, unfortunately, don't show up all that well because of the glass doors and they can't be removed. The best I could do on the glass door is paint the metal parts...I'm not sure what color to make that either.
  • PRO
    hace 10 años
    From the photo, it appeared that the house was white with green shutters. I was suggesting warming it up
  • PRO
    hace 10 años
    The brick remained the same, the shutters were done with earth tones and any any siding on the house other than brick was done a shade lighter than the shutters. New hardware and a beautiful green color were added to the front door.
    lilion agradeció a Roberta Ann Interiors
  • hace 10 años
    Última modificación: hace 10 años
    So Roberta, you are suggesting a beige/tan with darker shutters? I agree with bluenan that the shutters don't make much sense...with the window trim they are clearly just decorative and they have to come down for painting, so maybe we'd decide to leave them off. We won't know for sure until we see it without them. It would be nice to play up the window trim, because it's kind of unique...but I don't know how to do anything with that. The color now is a pinkish-tan-putty color. Doors are a brighter green than the shutters, almost a Kelly green. They look darker because of the UV film on the glass doors, which was a must because it gets VERY hot on those front doors.

While I'd always envisioned it yellow with green shutters and door and white trim, we are painting with an eye to selling, not to live with. There is a lot of black and gray in the brick...maybe a lighter gray color with no shutters or darker gray shutters? I could paint the metal around the doors dark gray or black. Or should they go white like the garage doors?

Thoughts?

FWIW, the house next door - that you can't see in the pictures - is almost identical, but has a different roof line. It is done in a mock-Tudor style; white with brown board trim. Of course, I don't want to do that, but thought it might influence someone's opinions.

Also, the decoration above the door...when we bought it there was a big wreath there, but after a few years of changing it out for a big Christmas wreath we got rid of it. It looked so bare we added the decorative metal piece. Should we leave that or take it down?
  • hace 10 años
    I like your ideas of a grey with a charcoal door. I wouldn't go too light on the grey though, I still think you need to darken the body of the house for a more cohesive look. I would paint the garage doors charcoal to make them blend in more with the brick. Something like this with a little less blue.
    Magnolia Residence 03 · Más información
  • hace 10 años
    Agree 100% with bluenan. Remove the shutters. Read this excellent short article about shutters and you will see that they really don't belong on your home at all. When you make your home more cohesive your home will 'feel right' and do well on the market. http://www.lifeofanarchitect.com/residential-architecture-101-shutters/
    lilion agradeció a Denita
  • hace 10 años
    I really hadn't even contemplated painting the garage doors...they are fairly new (5-7 years old) and vinyl. Can you paint those? Would I paint the soffits and gutters and window frames and everything? We just got new gutters last fall and windows two years ago and I hate the thought of painting them...we could have bought them in color if we were going to do that! Our home's interior is quite dark with the roof overhang - wouldn't painting the soffits a darker color make that worse because of the light reflection not being there that you get with white?

I've never owned, painted, or sold a home before...so I'm totally new to all this! I really appreciate the input.
  • hace 10 años
    If the windows and garage doors are vinyl I wouldn't paint them. In that case think about a mid-grey body and charcoal door, removing the shutters and leaving the windows and garage door white. With the brick color and charcoal roof I would avoid any yellow, beige or tan color. I would remove the iron decoration over the door. A new more modern light at the door and between the garage doors will really look nice. You can paint the metal storm doors and it will make a big difference. For resale this will all help. Add big pots of flowers on the stoop, not in front of the windows. If the planters can be repaired, i.e. tuckpointing, plant some low growing boxwood. Clean all of the windows. Good luck!
  • hace 10 años
    Possible lights...you need something narrow enough to fit between the garage doors but high enough not to look skimpy by the door.
  • hace 10 años
    Be sure and get a good weed and feed fertilizer for the lawn so it will be a deep green when you go to see.
    lilion agradeció a hayleydaniels
  • hace 10 años
    lilion, the items that get the biggest bang for your buck include: cleaning and organizing, pressure cleaning, painting, landscaping and lighting. Just a couple of very general tips: I notice your driveway and walkway appear to need a good pressure clean. You wouldn't believe how effective having a clean driveway and walkway are for resale. Your front door area is important as the buyer has lots of opportunity to look around while the agent is opening up the front door. You want the door area clean and freshly painted for the best result. A pot of bright flowers at the door is attractive. You want your home to welcome in the buyers. Most buyers prefer 'light and bright'. A Realtor in your area can give you guidance. bluenan has given you some great ideas. :)
  • hace 10 años
    So maybe something like this color scheme? [houzz=
    Project in process down the shore! · Más información
    ]

Should the metal of the doors be painted white then?
  • hace 10 años
    I just keep reading and reading and I know we have work to do. The planters on the landing are not integral...I have placed large redwood (probably cedar painted red) planters there and they are no longer in good shape. The brick is just a really low wall. I know we will likely have quite an expense fixing the steps, which are settling, so hopefully paint, power washing and a little staging will do the trick for the rest.
  • hace 10 años
    Look into mudjacking or slabjacking for the steps. Not sure it will work, but it might be a more cost effective solution.
    lilion agradeció a User
  • hace 10 años
    Do fix the steps. I am a Realtor. I have had buyers decide to not go inside if the outside needs too much work from the outside. They will notice the steps and that entire entry area as well as general curb appeal. On the other hand, if I have an investor type buyer, they aren't afraid of the work at all, but you will see a huge reduction in the offer. That is why it's important to contact an agent early in the process so you can determine together what is the best course of action for your property repairs and improvements. Some cosmetic improvements will help your bottom line and others won't help at all....
  • hace 10 años
    We already have an appointment with a cement/foundation company that does concrete raising. We have a very large patio that also has one corner that is now below ground level...I've been wanting to pave it for years, to raise the level up... but again $$$ is an issue. I expect the patio is so large (about 500 square feet total and the section that has settled is almost a quarter of that) that it may be cheaper in the long run to pave it if we can find pavers on sale. We had one bid from just a masonry contractor who was doing work for the neighbors, but he said it would be cheaper to rip them out...but he was afraid that would break the landing and make it worse. He was saying he'd take them out with a loader...So we'll see. I'd think a jackhammer instead of a front end loader would be the best way to break them out without breaking the landing, but I'm no contractor.
  • hace 10 años
    I'm sure you know this, get several bids on the work. Sometimes contractors say "no" to new work by pricing the work high - rather than actually saying "no". You won't know if a bid is inline or not unless you have at least three itemized bids to compare to one another.
  • hace 10 años
    Good tip. Thank you Denita. We have some indoor repairs too, specifically the main bath which is a disaster and our kitchen/dining room tile, which the installer messed up and never made right and needs to be completely regrouted. So we'll definitely get multiple bids.
  • hace 10 años
    Denita or any other realtor - a totally off-topic question. This house is from 72 or 74...pretty old...we bought it 13 years ago. It still has the ORIGINAL heating and AC! I swear, I LOVE Lennox! We got a home waranty the first couple of years, being worried it would die on us, but it's still running like a champ. We've only had two very minor repairs in all these years, less than $1,000 in work.

We're a little worried such an old system will be a deal-breaker. But there's just no way we want to put in a new one when we're getting ready to sell.

What do you think this fact will do?
  • hace 10 años
    No, not a deal breaker. As long as they are working, don't mess with the HVAC. That is where you can give a credit if necessary when you get into contract negotiations. Now, if the system isn't working, then replace it. No need to replace a working system.
  • hace 10 años
    Denita and Bluenan! Always such GREAT advise!
  • hace 10 años
    Denita...I was hoping you would show up on the DIY asbestos ceiling removal thread yesterday. SMH!
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.