Houzz Logo Print
pluss

Small Office/Reading Room

pluss
hace 10 años
I have a small empty room I'd like to use as an office/reading/tv.room. The dimension of the room is 11' 1" x 11' 11''. The ceiling height is 9'. Walls are already painted a light gray with off-white trim including crown molding. The floors are a dark brown. A small (18" x 40") window is located on one wall. The entry to the room is at an angle, so two walls are actually only 8' long. I'll attach a photo. I'd really like this room to be cozy yet functional. Any ideas? Thank you!

Comentarios (21)

• PRO
    Kathleen Mooney Artist
    hace 10 años
    Here is a room I did recently as a home office with reading chairs, my 1394 Glen Ellyn home office project.
    pluss agradeció a Kathleen Mooney Artist
  • PRO
    Kathleen Mooney Artist
    hace 10 años
    I hope your project is going well. I did a kitchen project recently where they chose the art first. It made all of the other choices easier. Take your time and be open to the possibilities. I like to visit resale furniture sources because I can find one of a kind, well constructed pieces that inspire me to use paint and textiles in bringing them back to life. It makes for a one of a kind, creative environment for my office and gallery.
    pluss agradeció a Kathleen Mooney Artist
  • pluss
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    I am stuck, actually. I cannot imagine how or where to place any furniture. It is still sitting empty…but, I know eventually things will come together. YOur artwork is wonderful!! I love both pieces!!
  • PRO
    Sandy G. ltd.
    hace 10 años
    Ok then. To start, can you figure out what you will need as far as office furniture goes? Desk, work top, file cabinets, bookcase, chair, etc. Next you will need a place for your TV , cozy reading chair, ottoman?, side table and lamp [high intensity]? rug, draperies, blinds, shades ., artwork?

Do you have a palette in mind? If you do, find a rug to work from that includes your color choices and has the design style you would like to have.
    pluss agradeció a Sandy G. ltd.
  • pluss
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Yes, I would like a desk, file cabinets, something for a TV (that hides the TV), cozy reading chair (I'd really like 2 if there is space); ottoman or table; rug, draperies.

I am open to artwork. I am open to the idea of family photos…maybe black/white? I also think something with color, on the wall, might be better.

As far as a palate, I will keep the wall color (gray) and dark wood floor, with white trim. I am open to an accent color…I have navy & sky-blue, in the next room. I tend to lean toward a tone-on-tone color scheme.

Here is a rug from Pottery Barn (5x8 or 8x10 ? ): http://www.potterybarn.com/products/aubrey-tufted-wool-rug-gray/?pkey=call-rugs&cm_src=all-rugs||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_-
  • PRO
    Sandy G. ltd.
    hace 10 años
    Última modificación: hace 10 años
    -- Now, these examples are for a relaxing room. It can be designed to give you a space that is more exciting, etc. if that is what you had in your mind's eye. Let us know what you think?

Will you be meeting with clients in this office? Do you need a floating desk?
    Your rug is lovely - and neutral.
    What would you think of a blind/shade of some kind for the window? Small room so simple, compact window treatment would work best. No big drapery panels, etc.

Here are other rugs that have a little more color and contrast if you would want an accent color in the room. Otherwise, a soft, neutral palette is very nice too. Just throwing out options so we can help you easier.

That said, is there anything about these next images that you like or dislike?
  • PRO
    Sandy G. ltd.
    hace 10 años
    -- On to comfortable chairs for reading. Would you like an ottoman? 2 chairs? Any fabrications you prefer - chenille, cotton, leather? Solid or patterned?
  • PRO
    Sandy G. ltd.
    hace 10 años
    -- And office furniture. Would you like a wall unit, a corner unit, your desk by the window, etc. Would you like the TV to be in the office wall unit or in it's own cabinet behind doors, of course?

I could not get the other 3 images to load! Drat. Will try again.
  • PRO
    Sandy G. ltd.
    hace 10 años
    The other 3. And it didn't work!!!! Keep scrolling! How inconvenient!

Corner desk with no upper cabinets. Room on the walls for art/family photos.
  • PRO
    Sandy G. ltd.
    hace 10 años
    -- #3.
  • PRO
    Sandy G. ltd.
    hace 10 años
    -- Finally, #4! Note, this desk is in front of the window. Might as well take advantage of the natural light, right?
  • pluss
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    WOW! Thank you for your help!
    RE: Chairs: I like the cozy 4th one, (but, not the fabric or color). I am curious about what you think of distressed black desk/furniture vs the white?
    RE: Rug: I probably prefer the turquoise one…especially if it has some texture. (I also like the chevron in a post you have below).
    This office is for my use, only. I won't need it to meet clients. It would double as a reading room/office…so cozy is the look.
    I like the idea of using the window for natural light by a desk…what do you think about setting the desk out a bit, and having the light come from behind?
    Thank you so much for your ideas!
  • PRO
    Blinds Direct Canada
    hace 10 años
    I would recommend putting in a cellular shade with a top down bottom up option. This will allow you to control the light and privacy in the space. Its a really bright and airy look.

http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/blinds-toronto/shades-toronto/cellular-shades.html
  • PRO
    Sandy G. ltd.
    hace 10 años
    --Thank you for your answers . . lots of good information! So, this room is yours alone - awesome!

The chair and a half will be great. You just need to try some out at the furniture store. Think about adding an ottoman as well. Some of them have storage capabilities. The color can be determined once you decide on a rug or art or just a scheme you want.

This rug is from < rugsusa.com > and has the chevron pattern in it in black, blue, taupe, gold and gray.

You mentioned distressed black furniture. If that is what you prefer, of course run with that. We can work with your preferences - How about putting the desk by the window at an angle - chair in the corner. You will not see much of the front of the desk that way and all of the back. Make sure the back is finished nicely. How much storage is needed in the desk? Would a table work at all as is the one with the zebra pattern chair. In smaller rooms, the more open the furniture the better.
  • PRO
    Sandy G. ltd.
    hace 10 años
    If you angle the desk by the window, you could place your tv in the opposite corner at an angle.

Reading rooms need books so place your collection on shelves in the room. A ladder bookshelf unit might work.
  • PRO
    Sandy G. ltd.
    hace 10 años
    This chair and a half is also a sleeper.
  • pluss
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Yes, I really like the Bryght furniture!! Sandy, that is a great idea to angle the furniture in the corners! I am having trouble visualizing where to place anything! Keep the ideas flowing…this site is awesome!! Thank you all so much!!
  • pluss
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    I noticed the Bryght furniture has free shipping…Do you ship to the US?
  • pluss
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Cassie, as far as a budget for artwork…I just buy what I like…never anything too high end, however…usually under $500.
  • PRO
    Sandy G. ltd.
    hace 10 años
    -- Well, you could use painter's tape and mark the floor with it. To get a 3D vision, place dining room chairs within the taped off rectangles to see how much room you have and the approximate sizes of the pieces. Like, is there room for a large ottoman, especially with the angled entrance.

This is very low tech but it is a start. Other option would be to post a floor plan here for the
    room and we can go from that.

Furniture layout with so little information is one of the drawbacks of this process on Houzz. We, on this end, do a fair amount of guessing!

The Bryght furniture is very nice! Thanks bryght for posting!
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.