Houzz Logo Print
selindsay

Window valance design with heirloom needlepoint

selindsay
hace 10 años
I'm making a window valance for my dining room with 2 pieces of heirloom needlepoint my husband's great-grandmother made. I'm thinking of piecing them with the green fabric & then pleating in the middle & corners with the blue underneath. The needle point area is 14"x14" and my window is 47" wide (measuring from outer edge of moulding.) The room will be repainted, probably another blue (perhaps stiffkey by Farrow & Ball). Wondering if I should paint the chair rail & moulding the same color as the walls. What do you think? Other valance design ideas? My original idea was to do a faux roman shade, but I don't think that will look as good with the needlepoint. (Ignore the streamers. My munchkins just turned 4:)

Comentarios (20)

• selindsay
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Needlepoint
  • edithsmom
    hace 10 años
    Selindsay, I have no suggestions, but wanted to clarify that what you have is needlework or specifically crewel work. Lovely, and what a great idea to use it as a valance.
  • hayleydaniels
    hace 10 años
    Última modificación: hace 10 años
    I don't have any suggestions either other than to suggest you frame the needlepoint, and hang it in your kitchen. It's nice seeing people appreciating things like that, and I'm sure your husband will appreciate you displaying something his grandmother made.
  • Christalyn
    hace 10 años
    I agree with framing it. Have it done with acid proof paper and put glass over it. Those munchkins of yours will love to see a bit if history preserved.
  • mefor
    hace 10 años
    Última modificación: hace 10 años
    Would you consider the green for wall and the blue for all the fabric instead? :)
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    hace 10 años
    I would frame the two pieces. They will make fabulous wall art with a wonderful history.

Use the green fabric for the windows…I like blue and green; hang the needlepoints on either side of the window.
  • selindsay
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Thank you, Edithsmom. I knew it wasn't needlepoint exactly but wasn't sure what else to call it.

For those of you who suggest framing it instead, I'm curious. Is it because you think they won't look nice as a valance or to simply better preserve them? Hanging anything of their size next to the window will look very crowded. It's a small space and there are 3 large photo canvases on the adjacent wall.
  • yvonnecmartin
    hace 10 años
    I agree with others to frame these pieces and put them behind glass. This will preserve them for future generations. You will find a place to hang the framed pieces, I expect.
  • PRO
    Center Stage Design
    hace 10 años
    I agree that framing them would be the best way to go. I would replace the 3 photo canvasses with the framed heirloom pieces. I am sure that the photo canvasses would go somewhere else in the home. I think they would look fantastic by themselves as the focal point.
  • carole
    hace 10 años
    how about framing them and hanging them instead of the photo canvasses....i vote for framing as i really think it would be such a shame to use this in any other way...
  • hayleydaniels
    hace 10 años
    The reason I suggested framing it is to preserve it. While I've sewn for over 40 years, I would be very leary of wanting to use something that had sentimental value should I make a mistake that couldn't be easily repaired. Maybe it's cowardice on my part....

Where you hang it is up to you. Any place that needs some charm and personality would work, especially a little girl's bedroom.
  • selindsay
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    I own a custom sewing business, hayleydnaiels. ;) I haven't been sewing for quite 40 years, but it's getting close. (yikes!) I'm pretty confident I won't ruin them. (Knock on wood!!!)
  • PRO
    SK Designs
    hace 10 años
    Here is a tailored rendering, to scale, showing a blue box pleated background with the embroidered pieces banded in green and attached as an overlay. You may want to alter the colors of the banding and background depending on which color you choose to paint your walls.
  • Keitha
    hace 10 años
    If you want to make the valance take it up to the crown molding to make the window look taller.
  • Keitha
    hace 10 años
    Maybe accessorize each side of the window with decorative plates!
  • Geneviève
    hace 10 años
    Don't waste them , after a while you will probably remove the valance but if you framed the embroidery pieces that your husband's Great -Grandmother made they will be well preserved for future generations to treasure ,if they were used as a valance they will get ruined but sun,dust,steam and dirt ,if preserved under a glass they will retain their beauty . You could frame both pieces individually and hang them on the sides of the window , the green that you have chose is lovely ,u it alone and as far as the chairs go ,you could paint them a buttery /cream .
  • mfwolfe
    hace 10 años
    I have a piece of my mother,s crewel work that I had framed over 25 years ago. It has hung in a place of honor in my kitchen since then and it hasn't aged a bit. Can you say the same for pieces that are hung unprotected?

I think your design for the pieces is quite wonderful, but I think you need to make it thinking that it won't last more than a few years. BTW. I am sure that you know that the crewel work needs reinforcement on the back to maintain its shape when it is hung
  • apple_pie_order
    hace 10 años
    Sewing these small crewelwork pieces to a finished valence would work fine. You'll enjoy seeing them. Try handsewing with a blind stitch. Interline with whatever gives it the body you want. Not everything needs to be in a frame to be valued and enjoyed.
  • mathomson5
    hace 8 años

I hope that you have decided to frame your heirloom, but when (and if) you do, please be sure there is a spacer between the work and the glass, and that the glass is not pressed onto the threads of the raised design. The cost of glass to protect from sun may be more, but is well worth it if you are going to the expense of framing -- DIY is available, especially if you are flexible about the size of the finished product. Please use acid free mountings, especially if you are using a mat. Also, if you like the pattern, and it is not original, it is very likely that you will be able to find something like it on Etsy or Ebay -- big enough for just one window, or more to use elsewhere on your table -- what were once samples of fabric from all eras in the 20th century are sold for very little, and you might even find a table cloth that you could fashion into more than a valance. Good luck -- and please, if you must hang this in front of the window, use a fabric behind it like Sunbrella to protect your heirloom from the heat of the sun, the temperature and moisture variations at windows -- or you will surely deprive future generations of this heirloom. I have a polyester, lined curtain that looks like raw silk, and it is fine after 25 years, but if I had protected it from sun, with a product that coats windows on the inside -- it would last forever. Your crewel embroidery is likely all cotton and will fade, disintegrate, etc.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.