Houzz Logo Print
kattie89

I need tile to match my ugly granite!

kattie89
hace 10 años
Ok, I'm stuck with this granite, which I think is Rosa Beta. To add to the complications, the kitchen is part of a great room, so the walls are yellow and the ceiling is Palladian Blue. There's really no way to change the wall color.

I'm hoping that getting rid of the ugly tan backsplash will help, I don't know where the tan came from, the counters are gray and pink (ugh). The cabinets are glossy white, the floor is a neutral beige tile.

My initial thought is just to use a neutral, white subway tile. But I am looking for any and all ideas on a backsplash that will help me live with this yucko granite until we can afford to replace it.

It would be awesome if the chosen tile were available in stock at a big box store, for ease of purchase.

Also: we have this little nook in a built in on the other kitchen wall. I am going to replace the black tile , leave the counter, and probably paint that black stripe white. Would love ideas on tile to replace the black, to coordinate with the rest of the kitchen. I think it needs a little color, or the whole wall would be white.

Thanks!!!

Comentarios (60)

• nwduck
    hace 10 años
    kattie89: That tan tile would bug the heck out of me too. I think you'll be happier with white, and just consider the pink in the granite as melon. :) Forgot to mention I think the little bar area would be pretty with a small mirrored tile instead of the black. Reads as silver, without being a l970s giant mirror tile bar.
  • Brandi Nash Hicks
    hace 10 años
    I don't think your granite is ugly ,I think the yellow is clashing ,maybe different paint color
  • kattie89
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Thanks Duck. I appreciate it. I agree, and think getting rid of the tan tile will at least tone down how many different things are going on in there, and I do love subway tile, so at least I'll have that going for me!

Great idea with the silver tile, that would be fun!
  • sunnydrew
    hace 10 años
    That couple hundred dollars could go to a more expensive exotic granite later. Not to mention the hassle of taking out the current tile and 4" backsplash. Just try to paint it or better yet, use the new stick on tiles over the tan tiles and see what happens. It will give the opportunity to try something out.
  • ajrmcr
    hace 10 años
    I feel your pain. I hate my granite too!

I wanted to answer your question on the 4 inch backsplash. It can be removed, but be aware it can damage your drywall especially if it is glued to the wall. It can also sometimes be glued to the countertop. Ugh. When I was contemplating doing this someone suggested that I pry a piece of the 4" backsplash off to see if there is a gap between the wall and the countertop that the current backsplash is hiding. If do, this will help you choose a tile of the correct thickness. I hope this helps.
  • kattie89
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Thanks ajrmcr! I'm sorry about your granite. :-(
  • kattie89
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Ok, I played with photoshop because I found this "Floriana Heather" tile on the lowes site, that has a blend of grey and tan. I can't tell if it will look too busy, and I'm just better off staying with the clean look of the white subway (which I'm leaning towards) Any thoughts?
  • pjlhome
    hace 10 años
    Replacing just the tile would not be that difficult. I would go with the white subway tile and then paint the kitchen and great room walls and ceiling to fit your melon and coral color scheme. That seems like a cheaper solution and will need to be painted anyway.
    Could you possibly create a room division like the room below with the beams the separate the kitchen from the living room and then you can paint one room at a time???
    Check out the colorful back splash too.
  • kattie89
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Thanks, PJL. Actually, I just had the whole first floor painted in the yellow/blue color scheme, it's really quite beautiful. I painted it in spite of the granite, because I know that I hate it, and didn't want to design the rest of my house with the granite in mind.

It's actually a separate room, but its so open to the living room, I just don't know how I would paint it in a way that wouldn't look weird with the rest of the house.

Thanks for the advice on the white tile, that probably is the best way to go for now.

That colored backsplash you posted is amazing!!! So fun!!
  • mveasey
    hace 10 años
    Is there some copper specks in your granite or am I seeing things?
    There is stick on bronze or copper subway tiles on the market. No idea on price, but might be an idea. Will take the eyes to the next level, meaning backsplash and eyes off the granite and at the same time complement each other. Just an idea.
  • pjlhome
    hace 10 años
    I guess I misunderstood your previous post. I thought you were wanting to go with coral and melon in your kitchen. Anyway, I love blue and yellow especially in the kitchen so I would definitely go with the white subway tile and then add pops of blue and yellow throughout the room.
  • des1gnchick
    hace 10 años
    I would go with the white subway tile - it looks clean is relatively inexpensive and will tone down the granite. Love the little bar area - if you don't need tile backsplash there you could paint that area plus the inside back of the upper unit a fun color - maybe a blue since you r going with yellow & blue scheme
  • kattie89
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    UPDATE: I have no patience. I painted the tile white.
    I figured best case scenario I would like it, and it would be fine. Or, it would give me an idea of what subway tile would look like. Worst case , I tear it out anyways.
    The paint looks great I'm just not loving it tho. It looks very cold and sterile to me. I chose an off white, but it looks stark.
    Any advice on how to warm
    Thing up/ pull it together??
  • kattie89
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    I also updated the knobs, but need to pick up a few more. The old ones had a tarnished pewter finished and were very dark on the cabinets. You can still see the old knobs on the "bar" drawers.
  • km kane
    hace 10 años
    I think you did the best with what you have, without spending much money. It's tough living with ugly granite, ugly anything, actually. It's so sad when someone puts in granite just because they think granite is the be all and end all. But it isn't if it's the low grade stuff, which is usually the ugly stuff. Personally, I'd live with it until I could afford a do over of my own choice. Every dollar you spend on a fix is a dollar taken away from the eye on the prize.
  • nwduck
    hace 10 años
    Última modificación: hace 10 años
    OK, I admit I completely cracked up over you painting the tile...that's just how much you hated the tan?....but at least now you know. How about taking the softest gray in your hated granite, and doing subway tiles in that? Although I am still enamored over the thought of smallish mirrored tile for the bar. :)
  • PRO
    Hyde Evans Design
    hace 10 años
    Tiles the color of the cabinets would look great.
  • km kane
    hace 10 años
    Isn't Rosa Beta granite kind of pink? Grey and pink sounds so 1950s! With a tan floor, yellow walls and a blue ceiling, kattie89 is going to need sunglasses in her kitchen.
  • nwduck
    hace 10 años
    kmkane: Shhhh---kattie89 hates her granite, so it's not pink, it's pale melon. :) Those tan tiles she just painted white were probably meant to tie in the floor. This is a dilemma, for sure.
  • nwduck
    hace 10 años
    OK, new temporary solution. Since you already painted the tiles, google tile tattoos. Maybe there is a little something there that you could use to relieve the white while you wait for new granite.
  • km kane
    hace 10 años
    nwduck, I know she hates it. I'm addressing the suggestion for grey subway tiles. Melon? Shhhh? ......
  • nwduck
    hace 10 años
    kmkane...Sorry, meant to be funny. Like, if we don't type pink out loud, maybe it will be melon.
  • kattie89
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    You guys are funny. Pink/melon!

I'm going to post a couple more pics later...maybe we can figure out what to do about my paint or something else?
  • pjlhome
    hace 10 años
    I think the painted tiles look pretty good but I would clear the counter of everything you don't use daily and then start adding color with canisters and/or a colored bowl filled with fruit. Also, get rid of the rug you currently have and add one with blues and yellows in it. See suggestions below. Adding these items will tie in with the wall color and bring everything together and your countertops will no longer be what draws your attention.
  • pjlhome
    hace 10 años
    I can't see your dining chairs but you could add additional color there too. Maybe something like this would work.
  • Keitha
    hace 10 años
    When you tile I suggest removing the granite splashes and carry the tile all the way to the countertop. It will eliminate the choppy look and be nice and sleek. Good luck!
  • marjariitta
    hace 10 años
    With a granite like that I would go with white subway tiles (same colour as the cabinets). White backsplash would have a soothing effect to the busy countertop and the granite is not THAT bad. Good luck with your choice!
  • andigail
    hace 10 años
    white subway tile w/ dark grout...dark charcoal?
  • Keitha
    hace 10 años
    Two kitchens... One with granite backsplash... One without. Just food for thought!
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    hace 10 años
    My friend’s husband painted her ugly tile backsplash while she was away on a trip. It looks amazing. Try it. Ask at the paint store what to use. Nothing to lose. Try the same white as your cabinets.
  • Laura
    hace 10 años
    Kudos to you for just painting it! If you just bring in the accent pieces with yellow and blue it will be fine. I think it almost reads like a black and white kitchen. Maybe paint the floor too. Lol!
  • kattie89
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Can I just for old times sake, show you guys my old kitchen? I feel like I'm talking in appropriately about an ex-boyfriend. Like, just get over it already.
    -miss you old kitchen!!!
  • kattie89
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    And I've decided I can't post more pics. When looking at things through the lens, I'm too disheartened. My eyes see potential, but the reality is a little harsh.
  • kattie89
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    :-(
  • nwduck
    hace 10 años
    Oh my. I feel bad for you kattie89, because that is one pretty kitchen. But, the current kitchen seems to be just temporary, right? Like baby weight? I have the perfect dilemma post for you to check out since you are feeling bad: Ugly Kitchen by dmillner55. She has dancing shrimp painted on her cabinets, just for starters.
  • meli08
    hace 10 años
    If I had that pink and black granite, I'd be tempted to take a risk and try a pressed tin backsplash, especially over on your built-in hutch. It would make your cabinet hardware pop, not clash with your paint, and the ooh-la-la of it would keep people from ever noticing your tan floor.
  • Keitha
    hace 10 años
    Katie, my husband and I just removed the granite backsplash in our bathroom and It came off easily. The backsplash was attached to the wall in several spots with liquid nails. We did have to do a little drywall repair but nothing too difficult.
  • kattie89
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Duck!!! I am struggling with baby weight too!!!!....an unfair double whammy of extra pounds and "melon" granite. Waaaaah.
    Unfortunately I cannot paint myself skinny as a temporary fix. :-/
    Maybe when I lose the weight I can convince my man friend (husband) that we should celebrate my accomplishment with new countertops. (And backsplash). I am definitely going to chexk out the dancing shrimp!
  • PRO
    Revival Tile and Stone
    hace 10 años
    For your kitchen splash a white subway 3x6 tile by Dal Tile at home depot and an accent tile three quarter inch wide by 6" long in the same color as your granite top would be a great addition to your splash.Im a tile contractor and currently on a job where I have a similar situation.Good Luck
  • PRO
    Ku Interior Design
    hace 10 años
    Get rid of the granite backsplash. Just use a plain white or cream subway tile, which ever looks best with the cabinets. It will be classic and never go out of style. You can either match the grout to the tile or go with one of the dark colors in your granite.
  • Geneviève
    hace 10 años
    I would go with grey but then you would need to also change the floor
    3"x6" Sample - Chimney Smoke 4"x12" Glass Subway Tiles · Más información

• flopsycat1
    hace 10 años
    I'm not sure why a backsplash needs to go up to the bottom of the cabinets, although I understand that's the trend. An easy fix, unless the underlying surface requires a lot of repair, is to simply remove the tile and leave the short granite backsplash. You could then paint the previously tiled area the same color as the rest of the kitchen. Using an eggshell finish would allow for easy cleaning. If you don't like it, you could add a tile backsplash later. http://houzz.com/photos/89098
  • Harriet Gilmer
    hace 10 años
    About to have the pictured installed in my kitchen. might be a good option for you....would pull the gray from the counters and play down the pink.
  • User
    hace 9 años
    Lately i am loving grey cabinets. Your counters are beautiful, but too much contrast with white cabinets. Maybe you would consider painting the cabinets grey.
  • marie hutson
    hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años

Maybe do the backsplash in the "brick" stainless steel squares .....I did it looks great! Easy to clean and not costly.

• Anne Cho
    hace 7 años

@kattie89 - the photo of your old kitchen cant be the same place as the kitchen your asking help for? back splash???

• kattie89
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    @anne cho I don't understand your comment/question?
  • Anne Cho
    hace 7 años

sorry dear... I meant the photo of your old kitchen is the same kitchen now?

• Bill Derek
    hace 7 años

I couldn't match your colors exactly but I played around with styles and colors to get this:

https://www.builddirect.com/design-center/projects/JwPyRG/shared_view/

You can play around with more styles and finishes by starting a new kitchen project & clicking view in 3D:

https://www.builddirect.com/design-center/

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.