Houzz Logo Print
carolbrandt

Paint or lacquer kitchen cabinets

carol stolz
hace 10 años
What should I use, paint or have lacquered cabinets in kitchen? What is the cist diff?

Comentarios (8)

• carol stolz
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    I many to type cost difference
  • PRO
    Rockin' Fine Finish
    hace 10 años
    If your cabinets are going to be new I would go with the lacquer but I prefer conversion varnish as it's more durable than lacquer and paint down the road like in 15 years you can always paint them
  • maureenroth
    hace 10 años
    Rockin' could you elaborate on 'conversion varnish'?
  • carol stolz
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    What is conversion varnish?
  • PRO
    Mackay Painting and Finishing
    hace 10 años
    Conversion varnish is a catalyzed product, available in clear, or in opaque. It's dries hard, almost like glass. The positive side is it's the most water, chemical, and scratch resistant coating for cabinetry (I have it on my mahogany countertops at my wet bar). The negative is that it can't be stripped chemically, which lacquer and paint can be. Conversion varnish is spray only, and best left to professionals. It's fumes contain a lot of formaldehyde.

Lacquer, while not as durable as conversion varnish (and even some paints), is easily stripped and refinished if it gets too worn...or if in ten years you want a whole new color and look. It too is a sprayed product, and best left to professionals, unless you have spray equipment, knowledge of application, and ventilation.

Paint is fine, too. It can be applied by brush or spray, so it's user friendly for DIYers. Use alkyd (oil base), not acrylic, which doesn't dry hard enough to hold up to kitchen grime. Paint can also be embellished with glazes, then top coated with polyurethane to give dramatic looks.
  • PRO
    Mackay Painting and Finishing
    hace 10 años
    I missed mentioning a couple of important qualities of conversion varnish. Because it dries so hard, when recoating if necessary in the future, subsequent coats of paint, or more conversion varnish, have problems with really good adhesion...kinda like painting glass. With lacquer, subsequent touch up, or complete recoats of lacquer re amalgamate, or "melt into" the underlying lacquer, which makes for a "like new" finish...no adhesion problems.
  • PRO
    Palace Painting & Decorating
    hace 6 años

Hi Carol. What are your cabinets currently? Wood, what type? MDF painted? If you are doing them yourself then a conversion varnish is not an option for you. As mentioned, it needs to be sprayed.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.