Houzz Logo Print
olivehazel

Narrow bathroom design help

olivehazel
hace 10 años
We need to replace tub/shower in 5x11 bathroom so opportunity to redesign the cavelike entrance. Any suggestions for redesign? We will take it down to the studs.
Thanks.

Comentarios (9)

• Lesley Delle_Grazie
    hace 10 años
    If you plan to replace your flooring, this would be a great opportunity to install in floor heating and get rid of the baseboard heater beside the toilet. I know you probably installed the mirror on that same wall to reflect some extra light into the room, but I'm thinking it might be a little low for the guys in your family, if you know what I mean? I love the suggestions above from MS&B inc. to open up the doorway area, and some lighter colours would go a long way to open up this room.
  • PRO
    Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
    hace 10 años
    In-floor heat is a great idea! I grew up with it and really miss it in my current home.
  • PRO
    Thos. Baker
    hace 10 años
    Hi,

Firstly a 5' X 11' bathroom can be done really well, so omit all your worries.

Please refer to the image attached below before reading the text.

Firstly, place the W.C to the left of the entrance door. Hence, the W. C won't be the first thing you stare into once you enter the bathroom.

Instead of going for the traditional 2' wide counter top for the wash basin opt for a sleek 1' 6" wide counter top with a classic square whitish sink protruding out a bit.

Utilise the above gained space to provide for a sleek 6" deep storage cabinet. And finally push the bathtub/ shower to the extreme end. You will be able to fit a small bathtub there.

Regarding the decor, I would advice using white for all vertical surfaces and rubberwood (or similar shade) for all woodwork. Flooring could be poured concrete in a grayish tone. let the mirror you use be bolted to thr wall; don't frame it and please allow it to run the entire length of the counter top.

Ar.Simran Chhibber, on behalf of Thos.Baker
  • Susan Bateman
    hace 10 años
    You mentioned your bathroom was cavelike. I have installed sola tubes in bathrooms, giving a very natural light. Twice I had them in the shower ceiling, and the effect was great! My two brothers have installed them in baths as well. A neighbor used a different brand, and her light looked "fake." (I do not work for Sola Tube.)
  • reba120
    hace 10 años
    We also have a long narrow bathroom. If the plumber can do it, we are going to move the tub to the back wall. We are also getting rid of the double sinks (no need for 2 in our household). The new vanity will be smaller but will have storage to the height of the ceiling. Maybe something similar will work in your space.
  • PRO
    North Coast Construction, LLC
    hace 10 años
    Using clear glass doors will help make the space feel more open. In the project below, we used a wall mounted toilet with in-wall tank to create much needed floor space.
  • PRO
    Kimberley Johnson~Zina & Co. Real Estate
    hace 10 años
    Última modificación: hace 10 años
    Traditional Bathroom by Evanston Architects & Designers Kipnis Architecture + Planning

Traditional Bathroom by New York Architects & Designers Linda Yowell Architects
    Traditional Ba

I like your space, but I agree, the front cabinet is overwhelming. First, I would delete the tall cabinet. Then, when you replace the vanity, start it at the left corner, so you only lose the upper section of the tall cabinet. If you do place a tall cabinet in between the 2 sinks, make sure it is thin and not deep, as seen in the photo below.

Also, I would add a footed cabinet, to give the illusion of more space, rather than a cabinet that extends all the way to the ground. Using light colored (painted or stained) cabinetry will make the room feel larger!

Next, I would eliminate the soffit above the tub. It encloses the tub area and does make it more cave-like.

When you retile, extend the tiles around the room, at least all across the back wall, to draw the eye visually around the space. You don't want just a small set of tiles hidden in the alcove, as it will divide the space. See the second photo. Also, I would stay away from mosaics and small tiles that will again, make the space seem busy. Find larger tiles with little variation in them, and make sure the grout doesn't contrast too much from the tile color. This will expand the space.

I agree that a half glass enclosure will be great. Today, many are 1/2 the length of the tub, and swing out for baths, and are closed for a shower.

Finally treat the ceiling with some type of paint in a slightly lighter tone than the wall color you choose. It will lighten the space as well.

I don't know what is behind the wall on the right (behind the door)...is it possible to steal some space from behind that wall, like from a closet, and you could install a recessed cabinet with closed doors on the bottom half, and leave open shelving on the top? If that's not possible, ask your contractor to create thin shelves within the wall, between the studs. See the second photo. It will allow you to store all kinds of small bath items. It can be closed with a frosted glass door, if you don't want the things to show.

Also, I agree with others who said recessed medicine cabinets will allow for more storage.

Finally, install small potlights around the edges of the room. It will make the space feel huge! Great lights in the bathroom are AMAZING!

Good luck! Please update us and let us know what you decide.
  • PRO
    Kimberley Johnson~Zina & Co. Real Estate
    hace 10 años
    [houzz=
    N. Barrington Bathroom · Más información
    ][houzz=
    Hockeytown USA · Más información
    ]
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.