Houzz Logo Print
myhomeideas2014

Need help designing the kids study room. I have a design handicap!

myhomeideas2014
hace 10 años
We have two boys - 5 and 4 year old getting ready for their own study and reading room. I am looking for a clean, simple, Ikea-like design that is functional and fun.

Comentarios (4)

• PRO
    Sensibly Chic Designs for Life
    hace 10 años
    Since you like IKEA I would suggest the Besta collection. They have a large assortment of modular units that can be assemble to fit your study area. As for color, I recommend using a shade of orange (rust or terra cotta would work, too) on the walls. I know it sounds odd, but studies were done and the students that studied in an orange room performed better on their exams than students who studied in other color rooms!
    myhomeideas2014 agradeció a Sensibly Chic Designs for Life
  • libradesigneye
    hace 10 años
    If your room doesn't have much natural light, then something like rugby stripes on a pale neutral greige with a thick navy stripe and a couple of varied but thinner orange stripes around the room above desk height could be fun. You might want a long counter - they have ikea butcherblock that you can put atop other storage pieces like besta in matching neutral tone . . one long counter is good. Advice from an older mom - keep the router in your bedroom so when they get older you can unplug at the same time everynight, enforce no-screen time . . tougher as they need research tools . . enforce early homework over gaming fun .. .watch 20 minute thigh rule time to get up and move around before you sit tooo long. I also like the big cube lack dividers with baskets or bins / cubbies for supplies and games all in a specific place . . .can act as a console behind a futon/ fold down day bed / unfolding foam chairs . . think ahead to sleep overs . . playrooms . . art walls . . . chalkboard in frame for lists . . schedule . .
    myhomeideas2014 agradeció a libradesigneye
  • myhomeideas2014
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Thank you to both Sensibly Chic & libradesigneye. It is so interesting to see you both refer to orange in the color palette - I wouldn't have ever thought about it - as I said earlier, I have a handicap.

And the perspective of a mom with more experience is so helpful. Would you have any examples of the color palettes you referred to in your comments. I will research the Besta

I was seriously considering this desk for a clutter free desk for each boy
    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30180504/.

I look forward to sharing pictures of the room as is today, and welcome your feedback.

Thanks again!
  • myhomeideas2014
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    And, this for gathering pencils and miscellaneous above the desks.
    Wood and Wire Wall Multi Basket · Más información
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.