tvctoronto

Complete Kitchen Reno

tvctoronto
hace 10 años
So we just bought our house. We completely gutted the kitchen and we're down to the studs. I have chosen a cabinet style - basic beaded inset and we will be doing it in dark stained birch (like the rest of the woodwork in the house - It's absolutely gorgeous!). Anyway, I'm trying to decide on looks for pulling it all together. My taste is pretty specific - it's not head-on ornate traditional, but it's not contemporary either - I guess I would put myself in a transitional spot. I have ordered new stainless steel appliances, stainless apron front sink. and stainless 2-handle bridge faucet. I was thinking of going with pewter finish cabinet hardware - maybe hammered. I am unsure about what to do with light fixtures. I have two different fixture ideas that will give it different looks, but I like both of them. For the floors, I really like the look of vinyl hardwood - I think it adds warmth, but I am also open to a stone look (but very specific one - I only like the one I have attached.) What are your thoughts and ideas. Thanks

Comentarios (27)

• tvctoronto
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Light Fixtures
  • tvctoronto
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Última modificación: hace 10 años
    Floor options

Also, forgot to mention, my house was built in 1928 - so it's got lots of old charm that I would like to sort of keep in style with (such as all the beautiful woodwork, hammered hardware etc.)
  • tvctoronto
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Do you have pictures of anything specific you were thinking of? I like the wrought iron aspect, but I don't really love the strong crafsmany squareish look. Know what I mean?
  • dclostboy
    hace 10 años
    Just did a google search on wrought iron pendant light...lots of interesting alternatives from traditional to avant garde.
  • PRO
    APK Designs LLC
    hace 10 años
    Congratulations on buying a new home! Your hardware needs to somewhat match. I was in a friend's kitchen a few days ago and noticed that her main sink and faucet is made of antique brass, the island sink of stainless steel and the cabinet pull and knobs of rubbed bronze! I was trying so hard to not say anything. It created such a disjointed room. So, if you have selected stainless-steel-finish plumbing fixtures and appliances, you need to select a similar finish for your cabinet knobs and pulls. Pewter is a nice choice since it goes with the rest of the hardware and its style also matches your vision. Don't forget to follow the same guidelines for your light fixtures as well. This includes the hardware in pendants, as well as the trim for recessed lighting. I would also stick to the "transitional" style throughout this space as well. I hope this helps. Best of luck with this exciting project!
  • dclostboy
    hace 10 años
    APK...I felt the specific selections bridged the finish / style balance nicely. I could not imagine wall to wall stainless.
  • tvctoronto
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Thank you for your suggestions. I do think the pewter pulls it all together. I'm debating between wrought iron light fixtures or the other ones that I posted. I'm leaning more toward the wrought iron - so that it stays within the same finish. Also, what flooring options would you choose. I don't want to do hardwood, because I have little children and I don't want to have to "babysit" my floor.
  • PRO
    APK Designs LLC
    hace 10 años
    I completely agreed with your selections. Pewter is "silver" and so is stainless steel creating a harmonious design. It doesn't have to be the exact same finish, as long as it's close.
  • PRO
    APK Designs LLC
    hace 10 años
    Here is an example
  • dclostboy
    hace 10 años
    Aren't the grills on the cooktop iron? You said everything needs to match...your example is confusing.
  • PRO
    APK Designs LLC
    hace 10 años
    dclostboy, I apologize for the confusion. My rule of thumb is the faucets and pulls/knobs have to match in "color", not necessarily finish. Light fixtures can follow suit. However, sometimes an eye-catching pendant over the island might or might not match the rest of the hardware. In this case tvctoronto is showing some beautiful light fixtures which do not seem to have a "brushed silver" look. This is ok as long as the style of the fixture compliments the rest of the kitchen. The appliances don't have to follow suit. The main idea of good design in any space is to carefully select styles, finishes and color palette so when it is all finished the interior looks harmonious and cohesive.
  • PRO
    Granite Transformations
    hace 10 años
    I like the idea of the wood for the flooring. Good luck!
  • PRO
    APK Designs LLC
    hace 10 años
    tvctoronto, there is a variety of flooring selections for a kitchen other than hardwood. Porcelain tile is easy to maintain and you can create some beautiful floor designs with it. If you like the look of hardwood but not the maintenance that comes with it or the "hardness" of tile, you can go with vinyl planks that have a hardwood look and feel.
  • dclostboy
    hace 10 años
    So you're saying that the poster was right with their choices all along? Why not just say that in the first place?
  • bungalowmo
    hace 10 años
    tvctoronto...what is the style of your home? Do you have a shot of the exterior? The sash style, or maybe your woodwork? We can get a better idea of what would fit the feel of the house if we could see some architectural elements.

In the meantime, I'm checking ebay & drooling....

Will you be needing a light over your sink area? Something over your table?
  • tvctoronto
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    @ bungalowmo This is the front of the house. I am redoing the roof and all the soffit, facia, eaves to aluminum and all trim - and doing it in a dark gray (similar to BM wrought iron). The second picture (it's not so good, but that's what I have for right now) is some of the woodwork in the hall. I will post a better interior picture later. Thanks.
  • tvctoronto
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    I will need a light over the island and eating area. The island is very small 2'x4' so I need small pendants and for the dinette area I will probably need a small 3 light fixture.
  • bungalowmo
    hace 10 años
    I wish I could have hit the LIKE about 10 times for the front of your house!!! SO adorable!!!
    So is your roof going to be a standing seam? That's what I've got.

I'm guessing vintage ebay lighting will be a bit difficult...finding 3 fixtures that are cohesive. Finding a set would be downright Expen$ive!

We'll have to search a manufacturer that has several options in the same or similar style.

I'll look for more photos tomorrow, but your place is as cute as can be! Loving that door & the mail slot too! :0)
  • bungalowmo
    hace 10 años
    Did the PO's save the rest of the shutters??
  • PRO
    APK Designs LLC
    hace 10 años
    To DCLostBoy, I pointed certain design principles to make readers aware prior to making a final selection. The more hardware finishes we introduce to a space the higher the risk of distancing ourselves from a cohesive design. That having been said, there are tasteful ways to bend the rules and still come out with a successful result.
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    hace 10 años
    Someone botched the front entry there...I would open that back up to an open porch. I would probably add a widow's walk at the top.
  • dclostboy
    hace 10 años
    To APK, I agree that it takes experience to mix finishes. But I also prefer to focus on the question posed...poster offered a viable / beautiful suggestion and you seemed to be warning them off.
  • bungalowmo
    hace 10 años
    @sustainable....I agree. That was likely an open area & that door was probably the main, front door.
  • tvctoronto
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    It does look like they "enclosed" that area. But I will keep it that way. It makes a great mudroom! I'll have a place for a the coats, accessories and school bags!! I'm actually very excited about that area. I will be putting jn a new door.
  • PRO
    APK Designs LLC
    hace 10 años
    DCLostBoy, the lighting fixtures you suggested to tvctoronto are beautiful. Tvctoronto's fixtures are also beautiful. If the only question in kitchen design was to match fixture finishes our work would be so much easier. Yes, wrought iron is closer to pewter than i.e. rubbed bronze, brass or copper. However, when selecting a light fixture for a space, style, scale, finish and function are some of the key questions to seriously consider first. Also, what is the surrounding color scheme, (color of cabinets, countertops, floor and walls). Based on the information provided, I cannot say which one would work best. Our job as professionals is to answer responsibly and be very careful to not steer a home owner in the wrong direction. I apologize if I confused you with my statements, I certainly did not mean to do that.
  • inpdx
    hace 10 años
    Have you looked at Rejuvenation's lighting and hardware? The company -- now part of Williams-Sonoma -- does period-specific work. Everything's well-made and I think still made in North America.
    Since you're in Toronto (right?) suggest looking at vintage/salvage places for authentic lighting in particular. Your contractor likely can steer you in the right direction. There have been so many tear-downs there, who knows what you'll find.
Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.