Houzz Logo Print
haitha

Please help setting up my living room!!

haitha
hace 10 años
Hi,

need help setting up my living room. Not sure how to set up the furniture and also the draperies. This is a new house and my first time setting up house.
I started with some colors and would need your advice on how it looks.My husband gave full freedom to decorate the way I want and i'm totally confused with no input from him :(
Our living area is small and the furniture we have is too big. We are planning to get new sectional. The living area extends to dining.
The TV stand in the pic will soon go away. I've attached pic of the TV stand we ordered. I have sunburst mirrors on the wall opposite to the couch.
Please advice on the furniture, furniture placement and draperies.

Thanks
Neha

Comentarios (41)

• PRO
    Lights Online
    hace 10 años
    Your living room looks nice so far, but needs more lighting than just those recessed cans. For example: add a floor lamp that can be used as a different layer of lighting to set different moods!
    Read more about the light layering approach here:
    http://www.lightsonline.com/getting-started-with-indoor-lighting/
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    hace 10 años
    The 2 photos of the room seems disjointed and not sure how they are related.
    haitha agradeció a Dytecture
  • ntcreates
    hace 10 años
    Awesome house. I think you need to add brighter colors like an orange or a red or teal. Make sure the curtains reach the floor. I think you could replace the couch with a gray or black fabric sofa...no offense. If you wanted you could change the paint color but if you don't that's fine. You could add a few chairs also with the backs to the wall with the pictures. You really just have to play around with furnisher depending on where you want it.
    haitha agradeció a ntcreates
  • PRO
    Modaa Construction
    hace 10 años
    Love the baby proofing details ;). Great news, love the new entertainment center. If you aren't using the drapes, I'd suggest replacing them with a lighter color set that starts at the top of the window trim as opposed to ceiling. You can also layer by installing a lighter color/material in center and darker accent material on sides. I would definitely rearrange the couch so that you are facing the media center. You can bring in a rectangular side table and put it against the windows with a nice vase or family photos. How do you feel about accent walls? Maybe bring in color by painting one of your walls, suggest the TV Wall.
  • haitha
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Thanks for the response!! Really appreciate!
    Here is another pic of the layout. The second pic is the dining area.
    Also I was thinking of a cream sectional. We have ordered this sectional but again I have a second thought. Do you think it will be too big?
    Can you also suggest some good draperies for this room.
  • PRO
    J. Latter Design LLC + Realtor
    hace 10 años
    If you're going to keep the tv there, you need to have a sofa with a lower back, so that as you enter the house you can see over the back of the sofa to the person sitting there. As an alternative, you could move the tv to the wall where the mirrors are. The mirrors are too small to carry this wall on their own. Try arranging them on the wall where the tv currently is. On the new large tv wall, mount the tv over the new entertainment system you are getting or consider a whole wall of bookcases to surround the tv. Be sure it isn't too deep so as to block the walkway to the stairs. Because the space is small, considering adding an upholstered bench or cubes opposite the sofa to gain additional seating. Depending on the floor plan you choose, you can also fit a chair (and possibly an ottoman with it). The curtains (or rod) need to continue along the top line where they are hung. You cannot just have those brackets up there. It is a very nice space but think outside of the box more.
    haitha agradeció a J. Latter Design LLC + Realtor
  • haitha
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Sorry my previous comment didn't have images. Attached the pic of my floor plan and also the sectional we are considering
  • abbyjean
    hace 10 años
    Última modificación: hace 10 años
    Would LOVE to see the couch on the wall with the mirrors and have that great window OPEN. Then move the brown chair back in to the room, angled in the corner nearest the door, beside the window, toward the tv. Think how cozy that will be right there and such a place to also view the tv. Try this before you decide on spending big bucks on the sectional. A couch and chair have so many more options in this small space.
  • haitha
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    I cannot move the TV as we have the complete pre wiring done to mount tv and home theater.
    I understand that the drapes are not hung well.Can you suggest some good drapes and also install ideas.
    I also like the idea of having accent wall.
  • studio10001
    hace 10 años
    Hi, Neha. Congratulations on your new house! Since you are looking at sectionals, I will point you to styles that have reduced arm features, and/or exposed legs - these features can help a large piece from overwhelming a small room. An ottoman style coffee table may also be a good idea for your little ones. The following are not style reccommendations, but are examples of the features:
  • studio10001
    hace 10 años
    I see I was overlapping your own photo - it gets my vote!
  • haitha
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Can you suggest dimensions for furniture
  • studio10001
    hace 10 años
    re. window treatment - as the room is an open one, you might look for a treatment that can be repeated in the dining area as roman shades. I would take the drapery line to the corner, and do without the ruffle. If they are non-functioning, you may also wish to add a third panel between the windows.
    haitha agradeció a studio10001
  • mpoulsom
    hace 10 años
    I think I would have the sofa back to the pony wall for starters. A round coffee table. And you should probably add to your grouping of mirrors or move those elsewhere.
    one long rod mounted by ceiling with curtain panels from ceiling to floor.
    haitha agradeció a mpoulsom
  • mcbriec
    hace 10 años
    What about extending the pony wall and then putting a couch/sectional directly against the pony wall so it's facng the tv? Then the other part of the sectional could go under the windows where the couch currently is now. Extending the pony wall to cover the back of the couch would make the room look more finished. Right now it would be odd for the sofa to face the tv because it's longer than the pony wall and you would be looking at half the back of a couch which would not be an ideal look.

Since the sunburst wall needs to be kept relatively open for traffic to the living room and the stairs, you could get a very long shallow console table to give the wall a focal point over which you could hang a substantial art piece.
    haitha agradeció a mcbriec
  • haitha
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    I really appreciate your inputs!! They we so helpful !
    Can you please suggest some good drapes and also required hardware

We are planning to remove the existing couch. Please suggest suits me furniture and a coffee table. I would prefer a modern look here.
  • mpoulsom
    hace 10 años
    tables
  • haitha
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    I will check smith and noble site for drapes. What colors would work for this room. As suggested I will use these panels at the dining area too.
  • haitha
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Can you please suggest color for furniture and drapes. I'm thinking an ivory couch to lighten up the space.
  • studio10001
    hace 10 años
    Ivory sounds fine, and I would suggest a pale neutral be used, in part or in whole, in your draperies, as well. You can balance with darker shades in your occasionals and accents.
  • mpoulsom
    hace 10 años
    I think CB2 has a cool wall shelf as well that you may like for your starburst wall....You could actually hire a carpenter to make one for you as well. That way you could do whatever dimensions you would like since that wall is semi long. I got my guy to make one for us and I love it! You can exchange different art on it, or knickknack things....vases with flowers, sculpture, photographs, whatever you like. It's a great piece for decorating.

not sure where you are, but IKEA has some great simple grommet curtain panels that are pretty heavy twill for $25-$45 a pair...called merete. If you are within a couple of hours of one, i would go there and spend a day with a girlfriend. You could get lots of ideas as well.

well i can't find the shelf in the catalog, but I'll see if I have a pic of mine..
  • mpoulsom
    hace 10 años
    [houzz=
    Misc PIllows · Más información
    ]
    [houzz=
    Living Room · Más información
    ]

see the shelf above couch? You could build it easily and paint it a solid color of you wanted, or stain it. Make it any size you want length wise, or do a couple of them together at different heights. It really has been a wonderful thing for me. I'm an artist, so i like to change out my paintings etc and when I do, I don't have to worry about nails, screws, etc. You just lean things against the wall.
  • PRO
    purehome
    hace 10 años
    You have a fairly blank canvas to work with! Arrangement-wise, I would place the sofa against the half-wall facing the tv. Where the window is, I would place an arm chair, and a console table with a lamp. This will make for a great reading nook, as well as provide extra seating for when you have guests over. To balance this space out, I would place a corresponding armchair directly across from it. A round ottoman would double as a coffee table as well as foot rest and complete the space.

In the nook area (by the kitchen), I would suggest a pub or bistro table set- something that doesn't take up too much space, yet is still very functional.

The best way to pull your space together is with accessories- throw pillows, plush throw blankets, artwork, rugs, and other decor will really pull the space together. I am attaching some ideas for you.

Yours in Houzzing,

Andie P., ASID
    Interior Designer
    Purehome.com

Velvet & Clover Upholstered Armless Wingback Chair · Más información

Padma's Plantation Hotel Caribe Kubu Ottoman · Más información

White x White Callie Mercury Glass Table Lamp · Más información

Liberty Furniture Cafe Collections Acacia 5 Piece 42 Inch Round Pub Table Set in · Más información

Lacefield Designs Marrakesh Cobblestone Eyelash Fringe Pillow · Más información
    haitha agradeció a purehome
  • PRO
    Jacoby Company, Inc.
    hace 10 años
    Take a look at our website for inspiration. Where do you live? www.jacobycompany.com
    haitha agradeció a Jacoby Company, Inc.
  • mpoulsom
    hace 10 años
    Have you considered building something up from the pony wall up to the ceiling....like some sort of open shelving?.......could be glass, wood, whatever but modern. Or something made out of wrought iron that's sculptural and modern. Open to look through, but some what of a screen if you get my gist. Maybe even with a light feature included into the design. Sorry having a hard time finding pics today for some reason. :(
  • mpoulsom
    hace 10 años
    [houzz=
    S Wall Shelf | west elm · Más información
    ]
  • studio10001
    hace 10 años
    mpoulsom's idea in metal, running from pony wall to ceiling:[houzz=
    Ranch Lite · Más información
    ]
  • haitha
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    I've not thought of building anything on pony wall. It will be great if you can post some pics
  • haitha
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Hi,
    Here is an update. I received TV console yesterday and this how my living room looks now.
    I'm thinking of replacing the couch with ivory sectional which I posted above.
    Please let me know your thoughts. Also where do I put coffee table?

Thanks again!
  • mpoulsom
    hace 10 años
    thank you studio for finding that pic! I couldn't find it anywhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
  • haitha
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Is there any alternative for metal? I prefer more softer look.
    Thanks again for helping
  • mpoulsom
    hace 10 años
    you could have a framed piece of frosted plexiglass installed..............or do thin wood slats vertically across it.
    Or hang a pretty wood carved piece suspended from the ceiling in that area...?
  • mpoulsom
    hace 10 años
    wood carved pieces for examples:
    [houzz=
    Oakley Home Builders · Más información
    ]
  • mpoulsom
    hace 10 años
    [houzz=
    Monterey Street Bath · Más información
    ]
    [houzz=
    the Bauhaus living space · Más información
    ]
    [houzz=
    Modern w/ a Side of Ranch · Más información
    ]
  • mpoulsom
    hace 10 años
    [houzz=
    custom rift oak slat wall screen · Más información
    ]
    [houzz=
    Modern Exterior · Más información
    ]
    [houzz=
    Modern Family · Más información
    ]
  • PRO
    Your Space Furniture - Custom Sofa Factory Direct!
    hace 10 años
    Haitha, there is no room for a sectional. Layout suggested by Pure Home will probably work the best.
    haitha agradeció a Your Space Furniture - Custom Sofa Factory Direct!
  • haitha
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Thanks Pure Home & Your space furniture.
    I agree that sectional is hard to fit in here. It's just that I really love the look of sectional. And I'm considering leather as its easy to maintain and clean.

I have a toddler and The layout suggested by Pure Home may not be practical as there is an accent chair is placed diagonally.
    Please post your thoughts.
  • PRO
    hace 10 años
    Haitha, sectional does look appealing. Nevertheless, size-wise, it will probably take a lot of space and block access to the window, cover the draperies etc. I could definitely help you with both either sofa or sectional, whatever you prefer.

I wonder if Pure Home could make a layout with a sectional for you. The suggestions Pure Home makes are indeed very professional.
  • PRO
    hace 10 años
    Small scale sectional might work. I assume you want it to be more like a family room rather than formal living room.

We specialize in custom sized upholstered seating and can build off the picture to fit your space precisely. Please, contact us for quote anytime. thank you.

www.yourspacefurniture.com
  • Marlene Graham
    hace 6 años

I would create a full wall to replace the pony wall from floor to ceiling and would extend it at least 8 feet. I would paper this wall and place a mirror and a narrow shelf on this wall and light sconces on each side of the mirror to set the tone upon entering the home. The shelf could serve as a place to put keys and add tall slim vase for flowers.

I would place the tv on a credenza that has storage and place a table lamp on it. I would use a sectional sofa with it facing the tv. I would paint the tv wall a color used in throw pillows, rug, or in the wall paper.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.