Houzz Logo Print
patricia1116

Why would you modernize such a beautiful home?

patricia1116
hace 10 años
03-Corcoran House · Más información

Comentarios (15)

• PRO
    KUBE architecture
    hace 10 años
    the interior had been remodeled in 1980... was a teriible "wanna-be" modern interior...we ripped everything out and did an updated modern interior...pople live in 2014 now ..a very different lifestyle from 100 years ago.... dark sub-divided rooms is NOT the norm..... houses go through an evolution ... as you can see the exterior was minimally touched...as it is in an historic neighborhood....but that doesn't mean the client is hisotric... nor lives like its 1814....its not a museum....question is..why wouldn't you modernize to match your lifestyle?
  • abedwalker
    hace 10 años
    I love this exterior! It's a great way modernize this Victorian beauty.
  • shelaghmorrison
    hace 10 años
    Thank goodness the historical exterior was designated. I do not understand why people buy historical homes and then want to modernize or change the very esthetics that created the home in the first place. Why not just buy a more modern home to begin with? This is not meant to be a rude comment by any means, it's just that with so many heritage buildings lost, I personally feel it is a shame to continue to dismantle those remaining. At least as you say the changes will be on the inside and I do hope architectural salvage companies are encouraged to come in and reclaim the historical artifacts internally.
  • shelaghmorrison
    hace 10 años
    Thank goodness the historical exterior was designated. I do not understand why people buy historical homes and then want to modernize or change the very esthetics that created the home in the first place. Why not just buy a more modern home to begin with? This is not meant to be a rude comment by any means, it's just that with so many heritage buildings lost, I personally feel it is a shame to continue to dismantle those remaining. At least as you say the changes will be on the inside and I do hope architectural salvage companies are encouraged to come in and reclaim the historical artifacts internally.
  • Dirt Digger
    hace 10 años
    I will never, for the life of me, understand why so many people on Houzz choose to berate and chastise others for choosing to live the way they want to, where they want to. For those who choose to, feel free to buy your own historical home and restore it, post pictures of your hard work and then wait for the haters to chime in!
  • shelaghmorrison
    hace 10 años
    Fair statements both. As I mentioned I did not intend comments to be construed as rude just genuinely curious. My apologies. The exterior is stunning.
  • User
    hace 10 años
    I am a traditionalist and have no problem with an updated interior in an historical building, especially one that had been previously altered. I have no doubt though that in 30 years someone will go in and rip out what they consider to be a terrible 2013 "wanna be" modern interior and update to the "modern" of that time. That is what I see as the down side to modern, a constantly evolving definition of what new and modern is.
  • Valdemar Uribe
    hace 10 años
    i agree with Morrison, just bought a triple decker Victorian, and I'm fixing the interior. No walls are going to be ripped out......
  • PRO
    KUBE architecture
    hace 10 años
    Good for you ....
  • Karen Anderson
    hace 9 años
    I understand everyone has different tastes. In my opinion, the exterior is beautiful. The interior, to me, clashes with the exterior. It feels almost jarring to me. Please note I said to me. There are ways of blending old with new and still live comfortably in the modern world. I assume it's okay to express an opinion in a forum where ideas and opinions are exchanged as long as it's not rude. It is not my intent to offend anyone. I just find it curious that a home with a more modern exterior was not chosen. I most respectfully acknowledge that we are all free to do as we wish to our own homes.
  • Jaden Foster
    hace 4 años

Hi! Just wondering who the architect was and what year it was built?

• PRO
    Healdsburg Sotheby's International
    hace 4 años

Can you tell me the paint colors please?

• sugarcakes2
    hace 4 años

One reason a more modern home was not chosen in the first place may be because the downtown areas in older cities are not likely to have any. If you want a modern home and live in the city your only option may be to update an old home. I don't think anyone should be forced to live in a museum.

• denabalzano
    hace 4 años

This home is gorgeous.. inside and out.. What is the exterior paint color?

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.