Houzz Logo Print
jsimpson2483

MID-CENTURY RANCH - SOUTH FLORIDA - TOTAL GUT JOB - FLOORPLAN HELP !

jsimpson2483
hace 10 años
Hello:
We just recently purchased a home just over 1700 sqft in the South Florida area. The home, a mid-century ranch was in rather horrible condition. We were going to remodel a few areas and live in the rest. However, after removing a few areas of the house it became evident that a total gut of the house would be better.
The house has almost an inverted "L" shape. It is or was a 3/2. I am trying to give the house a more open feel with open living spaces yet with accents that define the spaces. because of the "L" shape to the backyard, I want to have open doors/windows allowing people to go to the yard from the living spaces rather easily. Especially in South Florida, outdoor entertainment is more than indoor. Either way, I am trying to get the most bang for my buck in this total make over. I do not want to redo a house and feel that I could have made something better or bigger/smaller. I know that is a hard request and nothing is perfect. However, I dont want to feel that I rebuilt the same house that I just destroyed.
Just a bit of info, I have drafted 15 different versions of this house and keep on thinking of different things. I really need other peoples opinion and thoughts. The image is attached of the most recent. The drawing prior to this had a larger master by elimination of the dining area. Also, the laundry was larger as it went a bit further into the closet and MB.
I know some of the titles on the floorplan are not correct or completed... please excuse.

Any ideas/thoughts and comments are welcomed. Does it flow? I looked at the NAHB website and it seems my % for each room are off for the whole square footage that I have. according to my calculations from the percentages used on average for each room on a house my size, All of my rooms/areas should be a bit larger... I just dont know how to do that at this point.. . Need fresh eyes...
New Image_14 is the most recent draft layout
New Image_13 is the same as 14 but without dedicated dining room and a larger master bedroom
New Image_11 was one of the few first drafts
Current is what the house was before demo

I even have drafts of moving the front door from current location farther left, closer to closet.

Comentarios (8)

• jsimpson2483
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    ** CORRECTION***
    I even have drafts of moving the front door from current location farther left, closer to closet.

Meant to say closer to Garage...
  • libradesigneye
    hace 10 años
    Wow . . . well, I like a lot of the things you are trying to do but I find the dining space and the end of the room jog problematic. Doors to the back in the bedroom through the kitchen could be better organized. If you create a storage wall along the front wall of the kitchen and put the door to the back hall along that, you can make a better kitchen layout. You need to consider if the closet that truncates the kitchen can open to the entry / be shorter because you need all that area for kitchen storage wall - put the refrigerator midway, and stacked ovens / microwave near the back wall. Use a large island for this kind of open concept with the sink and dishwasher on the island and range on the back wall with a great hood - and seating out on the end of the island. I see that the dining room would be too long and narrow as proportioned .. . . You need to work through better solutions with the kitchen / dining / master . . . perhaps it is worth hiring some expert layout help. Study master bath and closet layouts - what you have done with your master bath and closet is not as efficient as it could be - there are some better solutions. Somewhere between first and second layout is your answer. Consider a mudroom / laundry / back storage hall rather than the current layout or incorporate more in your transition places.
  • rinked
    hace 9 años
    First of all: Is this the old situation? (can't see your file names)

And a whole bunch of other questions:

Which walls are loadbearing?
    Is it built on a slab or wood floor (crawlspace or not)?
    Where are the windows?
    What is the view from each wall? (have any preferences?)
    What side gets the hottest sun? Mornings, evenings?
    How many people in your household?
    How big is the driveway? How many cars will be parked there on a daily basis?
    I see you want to take down the garage, but what about the roof?
    Have you had the sewer checked for leaks and such?
    From where to where goes the main pipe?

Your floorplans look nice, but none of them have a wow-factor yet.
    1700sqft still is a great amount of floorspace to work with, but carefull planning is the only way to achieve that wow.

I could try to help you out, but that might take some time (and something in return). My email is on my profile page. But please also just answer the questions above. Keep the creative motor running.
  • rinked
    hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años
    Note: space % or averages don't matter (if not regulated by any building code), our two bedroom house is 800sqft and it flows just fine, has great daylight, 1.5baths and with good planning we have some nice storage space too, without feeling cramped. Anything can be done (with some common sense of course).
  • Dar Eckert
    hace 9 años
    Have you tried the kitchen in the SW corner of the house? Then have a large island between the kitchen and dining room which would be on the NW side. The living room would be adjacent to the dining and entered through a main hall from the front door.

The master bedroom would take the area where the dining area is in the first plan. The gable where the master bedroom would have 2 bedrooms accessed by a main hall.

Widen out the entry. Remove the bath in the corner bedroom (SE bedroom) this bedroom gets bigger.

Bathroom and laundry share the area where the kitchen is in the first plan.

There will be a hall from the main entrance e-w and one n-s in the bedroom area.

Sorry, I didn't have time to draw this up. I'll try to do it asap.
  • PRO
    PPF.
    hace 9 años
    Old Post
  • rinked
    hace 9 años
    Darn, I see now.. Nov'13..
  • PRO
    Dwellings Design
    hace 8 años

Hello. Had to come up with a solution. I'm a designer, it's just what I do. Then, when I went to send an idea, I noticed how long your dilemma has been posted. The house is probably finished by now but I'll send this sketch anyway. dwellingsdesign.net

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.