Houzz Logo Print
lilchik

Updating my family room, need ideas

lilchik
hace 10 años
We decided to update our small family room which is connected to a kitchen/den. We started by getting rid of our old couch and bought the one below. Our kitchen is staying as is, since it's been renovated just over 2 years ago. The dining table will be replaced eventually, looking to get a regular height table, don't know what shape would work better. We need help with choosing new paint color, rug, wall decor. I like contemporary/transitional style and that's where we're heading, updating our home room by room. As much as I like gray for walls, I don't think it's going to work in this room considering all the wood tones and granite counters. Would greige be a better choice? How about rug style to pull this room together? Thanks for all your ideas.

Comentarios (1,1 k)

• lilchik
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Carolins - maybe #2 from Pier 1 is worth a try? hmmm
    mforr - I like the blue one above, it has a nice, barely there olive background. #2 above might be nice, the shape of the pattern is very similar to my flower pillow, don't know if it's good or bad. :-)
    What do you think of these trellis curtains in navy blue and white/ivory? Are they too much?
  • PRO
    Victoria
    hace 10 años
    Hello,
    Your paint color is fine. Pull your sofa up, a little away from the wall, place the legs about five inches. On the rug. Little axis tables would work in your space, as a cocktail table and end table. Have you a panel made on sliceable rings and take down the blinds.
    Make sure they are lined so they are attractive from the back. Think about different colors to add to the paint color you have. You can use so many colors that will, Pop! Your awesome!
    Victoria
    lilchik agradeció a Victoria
  • mefor
    hace 10 años
    Última modificación: hace 10 años
    I love them, but the navy will fight with everything else
    lilchik agradeció a mefor
  • mefor
    hace 10 años
    Victoria, she's already painted. And changed the rug, the sofa and the window treatments. :)
  • lilchik
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    :-)) I think this is one of those comments that ended up on the wrong thread I think. lol
  • lilchik
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    beige trellis ones?
  • mefor
    hace 10 años
    LOL, you're so kind lilchik, I'm sure you're right, why would a pro only look at the first pic on an incredibly long thread and think that nothing might have changed. ;D
  • mefor
    hace 10 años
    Última modificación: hace 10 años
    The beige might work :)
  • mefor
    hace 10 años
    Lilchik, is everything ok? Haven't heard a peep from this thread in a while, hope all is good. Happy spring :)
  • lilchik
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Hi Michele!!! Everything is ok, thanks for checking in with me. :-))) You are so kind. :-)
    I just don't have anything new to share with you yet, taking a break I guess. At this time I'm looking for chandeliers and windows shades. Oh and I'm also trying to sell my dining table, no luck yet.
    Happy spring to you too!
  • mefor
    hace 10 años
    Good to hear all is well:)
    Hope someone scoops up that table from you quickly, and for a nice price!!
    Has spring "sprung" for you yet?
  • mefor
    hace 10 años
    Here, it's nice through the weekend and then down the temps go again. Maybe snow next week, ha!!! There's a slap in the face, hope it doesn't happen. Fingers crossed :)
  • lilchik
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Spring is here full force in the California's Central Valley. Our fruit trees are blooming, some are done blooming (like my apricot tree), temps are in the 70s, spring is definitely here. :-))
    Possible snow in March??? Oh what a bummer............hope it doesn't happen. :)
  • mefor
    hace 10 años
    I'll just keep my eyes closed , until someone tells me the trees are blossoming here
  • Carolina
    hace 10 años
    Good to hear you're okay lilchik. Already thought you were taking a break ;-) Sounds lovely where you are. Mmm... do you get many apricots from your tree?
    lilchik agradeció a Carolina
  • lilchik
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Hi Carolins!
    Our apricot tree only brings fruit every other year but when it does there are loads of apricots and they are very yummy. :-) We're expecting crop this year so you're welcome to visit and give them a try. :-)
  • Ann
    hace 10 años
    Hi All! Nice to see comments from this group. Supposed to snow here tomorrow but the buds on the trees are very swollen so it won't be long until it looks like spring. I just replaced a maple with a autumn brilliance tree form serviceberry and it I can't wait to see the new little tree open up. The maple was just beautiful but way too close to the driveway for such a big tree.
  • mefor
    hace 10 años
    I love serviceberry trees, really pretty. Multi season interest. How are you, Ann? :)
  • Ann
    hace 10 años
    Fine Michele, hope you are too! I love serviceberries too. I have a shrub form out back and have loved it so now trying the tree form in front.
  • mefor
    hace 10 años
    I'm good, just waiting for the trees to pop, and all the green to begin. :)
  • Carolina
    hace 10 años
    I'm green too. With envy :-) Your own apricots! And I looked up serviceberries. Don't think we have them in the Netherlands? Does anyone know the Latin name? Looks like a beautiful little tree. I love eating from my garden. We have blackberries and raspberries, strawberries, red currants, cherries (most of them get eaten by the birds) and a small vegetable garden. Used to have more fruit trees, but sacrificed them for the horse riding arena.
  • Carolina
    hace 10 años
    Oooooo.... we do have Amelanchier in the garden :-) Yippee :-) Now I'm not so green anymore.
  • lilchik
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    We do have a small vegetable garden as well and fruit trees - lemon, orange, mandarin, peach, apricot, apple and pomegranate. :-)
  • Carolina
    hace 10 años
    Oh that sounds so lovely. I'm green again :-D
  • PRO
    Alfonso DiLauro
    hace 10 años
    I think you need to start with color change on walls. Bring in a gray blue color to create a contrast . Then hang simple pinch pleat panels in a pattern with colors blue ,cream and brown. Add some light color pillows . I hope that helps.
  • lilchik
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Cassie, our vegetable garden is bare at this time, there's nothing there. We will be planting tomatoes next week, hopefully along with some green onions, dill, etc. Our fruit trees, except apricot, peach and pomegranate, are still very young because we planted them recently. Some after moving-in just over 3 years ago, some just this year, like orange and mandarin. Here are some pics of the trees.
    Apricot tree with little apricots, apple tree and mandarin.
  • lilchik
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Beautiful orange blossoms. :-) They are unbelievably fragrant.
  • lilchik
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Our lemon tree sustained severe frost damage this year as we've had many nights with temps below zero. We gave up hope on it recovering and even bought a new lemon tree to replace it with but saw signs of life in it just last week, so we're going to wait a little and see. Will have to find another place for the new lemon tree...... :-)
    The last pic is of the peach tree which is almost done blossoming.
  • mefor
    hace 10 años
    Lilchik, enviable garden!!! I'd love to have all those fruit trees, I have room for the non citrus trees. But I have so many deer, I'd have to put up a load of deer fencing and then I'd have to fight over the fruit with the raccoons and squirrels, lol. I have a really big, really old apple tree. The raccoons sit up there for hours and pick the apples, take a few bites and throw them on the ground, where the deer are waiting, circling the tree, waiting for the magical apples to drop out of the sky for them to eat, lol. I had two pear trees, which bore fruit on alternating years. 1 was knocked down in storm, hopefully the other will be happy on it's own. But they belong to the squirrels, who do the same thing, take a couple of bites, then drop them for the deer to eat. Grape vines? Birds and deer, lol, that's kind of ok, the grapes are absolutely awful.
  • lilchik
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    I guess deer and raccoons and squirrels are all nice as long as they keep their noses out of our yards, yeah? We don't face these problems here because our yards are fenced. :-)
  • mefor
    hace 10 años
    It would take a lot of fencing to keep them out, I have a big place in the country. It's very pretty and there's loads of trees and bushes and meadows. I'll live without the fruit and most flowers :)
  • lilchik
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    I totally understand! We're not blessed with big backyards here in CA (most of us anyway) but we're happy with what we do have. It would be nice to have a little bit of both worlds wouldn't it? however our lives are full of compromises..........
  • mefor
    hace 10 años
    It would, but what we have is great, isn't it? :)
  • Carolina
    hace 10 años
    Lovely looking garden lilchik. It's a real orchard :-) Love it!
  • mefor
    hace 9 años
    Hi lilchik, hope you and hubby are well, just checking in to see if there's anything new :)
  • lilchik
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Hi Michele!!! It's such a pleasure to hear from you! :-))) How have you been?
    My husband and I are doing well, thank you for asking. I've been quite lazy lately with my family room redo. I know.........it's a shame.........:-(
    However, there's good news - we sold our dining set and got a new one - YAY! The chairs in the new set are ridiculously similar to the old ones. My sister was making fun of me saying these are the same chairs and we just cut the legs a bit to make them shorter. LOL
    The table is rectangular and has these massive legs. I got it from a local furniture auction where they sell new furniture directly from manufacturers and model homes. Oh, and it comes with an extension and a lazy susan. :-)
  • Ann
    hace 9 años
    Hi lilchik and Michele!!!! Table looks great lilchik. Are you finding it much more comfortable using a lower height table?
  • mefor
    hace 9 años
    Love the modern, chunky leg. Good job!!
    Great that it came with the extension and lazy Suzan, really good for entertaining. Just scrolled up to look at the old chairs, lol, they are kind of similar, aren't they? But they're the height you want and look great with the table, so all is good.
    It's good to take a break with the house every so often, sometimes you just need a break, makes it easier to continue with the rest of the house too, you won't be burnt out.
    Spring is beautiful here, even though it was over 85 degrees this weekend and yesterday, but better today :)
    It's good to hear that you're both well :)
    Don't be a stranger
  • Ann
    hace 9 años
    It's been beautiful here (Colorado) too until this past weekend when we had nearly a foot of snow. I was kind of worried about all my emerging and flowering trees and shrubs, but things seemed to handle the low temp of 28 last night pretty well, better than I expected.
  • Carolina
    hace 9 años
    That's a really great looking dining set! Your room looks sooooo much better than when you first started. I actually like the curtains with the brown borders too. Great transformation, even if the chairs are similar to the ones you had ;-)
  • lilchik
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Thank you ladies! I do find this height more comfortable to use although it took some getting used to the new height in terms of visual appearance. :-) All of a sudden my table was lower than the counter and it seemed weird. We've had the table for about 2 weeks now so I'm used to it already. :-)
    You're right Michele, it is a good idea to take a break from the house not to feel burnt out. My garden demands my attention lately so I have been devoting a bit more time to it than the FR redo. I do want to continue and get it done though. :-)
  • mefor
    hace 9 años
    We've been doing a lot of work in the garden too, it feels really good to finally get out there. :)
  • Ann
    hace 9 años
    I've found when you have a long Houzz dilemma and as a result, your room improves significantly, it does get hard to "finish" it. Once it gets about half or more done, it looks so much better that you kind of lose motivation because you're so pleased with the changes. That happened to me in my bedroom. I had planned to get my dresser refinished to finish my updates, but the room looks so much better with what has already been done, I just haven't gotten around to the dresser yet.
  • lilchik
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Ann - that is SO TRUE!!! :-))
  • mefor
    hace 9 años
    Hi lilchik, hope you and hubby had a great summer, anything new with the family room?
  • PRO
    TheFurnitureCollection
    hace 9 años
    As this post dates back to November 2013 I imagine that you have completed the project?
    If not let us know if you still need help.
  • lilchik
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Hello ladies! It's been a loooong time.......... There's nothing new to report with the family room, unfortunately. We've had a very busy summer and placed our family room project on hold for way too long now. I know, I know, it's a shame. :-)
    I'm hoping to come back to it soon. Will keep you updated, for sure.
  • mefor
    hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años
    Hi lilchik, thanks for coming back. Can't believe it's almost Halloween!!
    Hope it was a "good" busy summer, the family room will be waiting for you and I'll come back when you're ready. Also hope you and hubby are well and enjoying your home :)))
  • PRO
    Crespo Design Group
    hace 8 años

Our projects might inspire you!

St. Petersburg Waterfront Home · Más información

Interior Design Project Tampa · Más información

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.