Houzz Logo Print
jvictoria123

Driving my husband crazy! Please help me finish up family room.

jvictoria123
hace 10 años
última modificación:hace 10 años
I've been trying to find something for this large wall which is also a walkway and is seen by a sunken in family room. The problem is I don't want it to look like an art gallery since there is already a large piece of art and mirror on the same wall (separated by doorways). I was thinking of a grouping of mirrors or a triptych type of art. The entire area is open with the kitchen/family room. Please help...

Comentarios (29)

• PRO
    Dwellings LLC
    hace 10 años
    You have the beginning of a great space. And you're right this wall is important ; it could easily become an art gallery. An interesting wall treatment would be to paint intersecting squares of contrasting paint colors on the wall and hang the mirrors and / or mirrors within those squares. See my Houzz profile w/ the Springfield photos. Good Luck.
    jvictoria123 agradeció a Dwellings LLC
  • decoenthusiaste
    hace 10 años
    I see there is a deep shadow being cast on the wall. What kind of lighting will bring it out of the shade for an art or other gallery? You might tackle that issue first.
  • PRO
    Hartmann Interiors, LLC
    hace 10 años
    Have you considered adding some verbiage that allows for photos to be changed when you are tired of them? Just a little something different.
    jvictoria123 agradeció a Hartmann Interiors, LLC
  • Tammy Smith
    hace 10 años
    What if you moved everything over. Art piece in the spot that is your dilemna, mirror over your table & another piece of art in the entryway. Then it's art, mirror, art & won't look so gallery like
    jvictoria123 agradeció a Tammy Smith
  • Laura Ricci
    hace 10 años
    Before I saw Hartmann Interiors suggestion, my first thought was to add a quote to the wall. (And I usually don't care for those.) Photos require the viewer to get close, and large art would compete with your other pieces and look busy. I think you need something that is visible from the Family room, does not compete with your other art, does not require make the hallway look busy. Depending on what you choose, you might actually play with the shadow line - - (First line above the shadow) "The darkest hour (second line below the shadow) comes before the dawn."
    jvictoria123 agradeció a Laura Ricci
  • PRO
    Lydia (Kazza Design)
    hace 10 años
    Try the sideboard and painting on that larger wall instead. This might balance out the space more and feel less empty.
    jvictoria123 agradeció a Lydia (Kazza Design)
  • PRO
    OasisDesign&Remodeling
    hace 10 años
    Última modificación: hace 10 años
    Lighted wall sconces on either side of the artwork (moved from over the table) would eliminate your shadow line & add some nice & soft ambient lighting to the space. Then over the table I would put the mirror that's currently in the entryway OR a large round one. Replace that with a series of prints lined up horizontally.
    jvictoria123 agradeció a OasisDesign&Remodeling
  • sunnydrew
    hace 10 años
    If that walkway has recessed ceiling lights, you can have one or more changed out to a very small spotlight-type fixture. From your pictures it looks like there is a light at the console table already. I would not move that table to the left, to the next "space". Your walk way seems to narrow, as you have the half wall across from it. The area where the table is now is open and wider to walk in front of the table. Your currently empty wall is a good place for a small pictures grouped as a large vignette as you are right in front of them as you walk by.
  • joelcoqui
    hace 10 años
    Sconces. Shelves or a light
    jvictoria123 agradeció a joelcoqui
  • catdaley
    hace 10 años
    The art over the console is quite large and bright . Maybe too big for the current location too.. It would look warm and nice in the passageway. Then try a tall lamp and smaller or two small art pieces over the table.
    jvictoria123 agradeció a catdaley
  • Ramona
    hace 10 años
    what is on the wall to the right of the left window? thermostat?
  • indianpatti
    hace 10 años
    What about a large metal sculpture or wall candle display?
    jvictoria123 agradeció a indianpatti
  • jkhershey
    hace 10 años
    The console looks great in the spot that its in, but with that large art above it... It's too much in that section. It appears that the blank wall behind the couch is the largest wall so it should have the large art on it plus it will add color when it is viewed from the living area. Get an art light to mount above it to solve the shadow line problem. That way that dark area will always be illuminated with out leaving all the hall lights on. I would then use a grouping of smaller art over the console table.
  • Laura Ricci
    hace 10 años
    The lebarge mirrors look elegant, but a bit too fussy for a family room overlook. If you are bothered by the shadow, have you considered putting a collar on the recessed light in the family room? It looks like one lamp may be the source of the shadow, and that could be fixed with a collar that catches the spill causing that shadow, without causing a loss of light in the family room.
  • PRO
    Studio Dearborn
    hace 10 años
    My immediate reaction was to move the existing piece of art into the larger space--I can see that others agree. it will look nice with the tones of the sofa, and will relate more to the large room than its current location. then a different arrangement over the console table, whether mirrors, a lamp, etc. and an eyeball type recessed fixture on the painting will focus attention on it.
    jvictoria123 agradeció a Studio Dearborn
  • Laura Ricci
    hace 10 años
    Love Darzy's idea!
    jvictoria123 agradeció a Laura Ricci
  • PRO
    MyCraftWork, LLC
    hace 10 años
    I love this. Reminds me of my sister's Marrakesh custom wooden door! http://www.pinterest.com/pin/198228821071972494/
  • joots07
    hace 10 años
    I wonder if an open work screen suspended in the space above the half wall would do, rather than something hanging on the wall behind. The link is just for concept, since it shows folding screens. http://houzz.com/photos/3757747
    jvictoria123 agradeció a joots07
  • soto01
    hace 10 años
    What about a large iron clock about 36" round? I have seen them done just with hands and numbers and look fantastic! Just a thought for you to consider. I guess you could always do about six framed family photos since it is a family room, or perhaps a collection of interestingly shaped mirrors (stars, diamonds, etc.) Just some things for you to ponder.
  • PRO
    Menage Interiors
    hace 9 años
    What about adding some wall mouldings for depth but painting them out the same colour as the wall - adds that architectural detail at a fraction of the cost of artwork.
  • janettesn
    hace 9 años
    I'm curious what you ended up doing! I don't know how I came across this page but now I'm curious. You got lots of great input and I was also wondering if since it's across from the family room, why not some special family photos.
  • Chromatic
    hace 9 años
    You have children judging the little blue table in the photo. Could you make one of these wall areas the family photo gallery? Frame the photos and arrange them in one spot nearest the kitchen.
  • janroze
    hace 9 años
    No open flames in a walkway. Remember restraint is often the best policy.
  • PRO
    User
    hace 9 años
    horizontal artwork on a long wall
  • PRO
    Infinity Wall Art
    hace 9 años
    What a lovely room! Have you ever considered trying something different by using wall art stickers?There are no hanging parts or frames whatsoever so it won't turn into an art gallery. It sounds to me a large elegant sticker would best suit your needs.
    You can check which ones you like on our site at: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/please-help-to-finish-dress-up-my-bedroom-dsvw-vd~778902
  • leelee
    hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años
    Your home looks lovely. The wall behind the sofa is really the top of the stair wall? You don't really need to decorate that wall esp. if you don't want a gallery look.

Instead of adding to the walls pull out the great burnt orange or gold color from your picture. Would you be willing to have the ottoman recovered? Too bad there isn't a tweedy orangy fabric just like your brown. You could use some color in the area with the sofas--everything is a little dark If you don't want to change the ottoman at least add a throw and/or pillows that tie in with your wonderful painting.
  • leelee
    hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años
    Maybe it's the rug that need to add some color to the room? What do you think about the ottoman with a rug something like this?
  • PRO
    TheFurnitureCollection
    hace 9 años
    Posted November 2013 - still need help?
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.