Houzz Logo Print
fratantonilifestyles

POLL: Laundry Room - Dryer on Left or Right Side?

Many professionals believe that it is a user preference on whether or not a homeowner puts his dryer on the left or right side. What are your thoughts?

Let's see what the Houzz Community thinks!

Include photo's and or commentary!
Dryer on the Left
Dryer on the Right

Comentarios (28)

• User
    hace 10 años
    I'm right-handed so I move from left to right, opening the dryer door with my right hand, throwing the laundry in with my right, and turning the settings with my right. So in my case it would make sense for me to have the dryer on the right.
    Fratantoni Lifestyles agradeció a User
  • Jolene
    hace 10 años
    Depends on the laundry room. My laundry is set up for the dryer on the left. My last one was set for it on the right. Bother were dependent on the wall for venting. Neither way has been a problem.
    Fratantoni Lifestyles agradeció a Jolene
  • fos5
    hace 10 años
    Depends if you are right or left handed. Figure which hand you unload your dryer with.
    Fratantoni Lifestyles agradeció a fos5
  • Julie
    hace 10 años
    It depends on which side the water lines and gas lines are located. In my laundry room, the water & drain are on the right and the gas is on the left, so we had no choice.
    Fratantoni Lifestyles agradeció a Julie
  • hparks74
    hace 10 años
    We made this mistake. Front load washers typically have the washer on the left. Buy the appliance and make sure your doors open the right way and not into each other.
    Fratantoni Lifestyles agradeció a hparks74
  • PRO
    RB General Contracting
    hace 10 años
    Front loaders are typically washer left, dryer right... most efficient way to transfer clothes. However if you really wanted it switched, look up your model of dryer and they usually have a door conversion kit you can purchase.
    Fratantoni Lifestyles agradeció a RB General Contracting
  • PRO
    Linda
    hace 10 años
    Última modificación: hace 10 años
    My laundry room has washer hookup on the right and dryer on the left. Which is perfect for my appliances as the washer door opens to the right.

My previous dryer was a couple screws to swap the door opening side...nothing to purchase and only a few minutes to get it switched around. I won't tell you how long I lived with it until I decided to find out if and how to change it. I felt pretty silly finding out how easy it was to fix.
    Fratantoni Lifestyles agradeció a Linda
  • PRO
    RB General Contracting
    hace 10 años
    Not all washer machines are created equally
    Fratantoni Lifestyles agradeció a RB General Contracting
  • PRO
    Fratantoni Lifestyles
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    ^^^^ That should be trademarked!!!
  • Jolene
    hace 10 años
    My front loaders are dryer right washer left. Took getting used to but my Electrolux doors are easily switched to suit your laundry needs. One of the few brands that allowed for that accommodation when I bought them 5-6 years ago.
    Fratantoni Lifestyles agradeció a Jolene
  • Depo
    hace 10 años
    I have my front loaders stacked so it doesn't matter!
    Fratantoni Lifestyles agradeció a Depo
  • Scot Motzny
    hace 7 años

I wanted my front load washer on the left as the door swings that way, but because of the plumbing, I had to put it on the right. It's a 1st world problem for sure, but I would have liked it the other way.

• PRO
    Stronghold Wood Floors
    hace 7 años

Always work from left to right!

• Lisa Williams
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

@Scot...first world problem, indeed! I love that phrase. It truly puts things into perspective.

The other I learned from my mom, when my brand new appliances couldn't be delivered because the new floors (in my new house) weren't complete yet... Ask yourself, "Is this going to be a problem (fill in time frame) from now?" In that case, Is this going to be a problem 2 weeks from now?

It changes your thought process a bit :) You quickly go from frustration to gratitude, most times...

• Lisa Williams
    hace 7 años

And my preference is washer on the left, dryer on the right. Most often doors can be changed to work in reverse if necessary!

• jsvinsm
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

More important than which is on the left vs the right is that the washers and dryer need to be set up so that both doors swing to the outside, not towards the middle. The difference is immense in terms of usability. Which is on the left vs the right is more tied to where your lines are.

• chloebud
    hace 6 años

Our laundry room is set up for dryer/left and washer/right. At first it seemed stranger, but I'm used to it now. Luckily the doors are reversible and swing to the outside.

• shaydgirl
    hace 6 años

I am in the same situation. What front loader washer/dryers do you have that have the reversibility for the door swing?

• PRO
    FMA Interior Design, Inc.
    hace 6 años
    The only answer that matters is what works best for the homeowner who will be using the appliances the most. Waterlines, gas lines, venting, & electrical can all be moved (95% of time) - laundry rooms shouldn't be a second or third thought of just making due......create a space/room that you don't mind spending time in - laundry is a necessity of life - you might as well have a well designed & visually appealing space to do it in!
  • User
    hace 6 años
    Neither - we have a stackable to save room.
  • G Um
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

Most new washers open from right to left and are not reversible. I have shopped extensively in multiple brick and mortar stores. The best answer I've heard for why the home builder put the washer hookups to the right of the dryer's in all the homes in my development is that they are wanting to create more business for Electrolux, which seems to be the only manufacturer in most stores that makes a reversible door for both the washer and dryer. Not wanting to be forced to choose Electrolux or to make somewhat significant modifications to install a drain pain to fit both the washer and dryer or move floor drain (My laundry is on 2nd floor/upper floor where a drain pan is even more crucial than otherwise. My emergency floor drain is on right side of laundry closet.), I have chosen to live with a less efficient set up. Why wouldn't all of these newer homes place the hookups and drains with the same orientation as the vast majority of washers and dryers available. Very odd! Maybe it is some deal with Electrolux. Still, I agree it is a first world problem.

• tooky58
    hace 6 años

We still use my 18 year old top loading washer, dryer goes on the right.

• Jonathan Carpenter
    hace 4 años

I put my washer to the right or left because I hang my clothes to dry :) Dryers are power hungry!

• Toronto Veterinarian
    hace 4 años

Dryer on the top, washer underneath.

(yes, I know it's a zombie thread, but here it is)

• Carla McGavin
    hace 4 años

My washer hookup & drain hole is on the right, dryer hookup on the left. Since the washer door can't be reversed, I had to dance around the door to get laundry into the dryer. The solution was easy! Get a double drip pan, put the washer on the left, dryer on the right, & criss cross the connections in the back. They were in close enough proximity that this was no problem. If there's a leak, the water will flow under the dryer into the drain hole. Many dryers nowadays have water hookups for the steam function anyway, & should have a drip pan underneath. Problem solved!

• decoenthusiaste
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

I remember washing dishes and clothes on a wash boat in the river in rural France, and that's a first world country. It was a very therapeutic activity! Still hang clothes to dry inside or out.

• noreenlyons
    hace 3 años

Stackable Maytag...the doors open OPPOSITE and it's awful. The dryer at the top swings right, the washer on the bottom swings left. they are against a RIGHT side wall so switching the dryer door is not an option..I would need to switch the washer door which is not an option. I wish they would allow washer doors to change...... (front loaders)

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.