Houzz Logo Print
designjennings

Need help selecting bathroom mirror & lighting please :-)

designjennings
hace 10 años
Hi, this is our vanity - need help selecting a mirror & lighting. Does a mirror need to be the entire width of the vanity? if so, the space does not allow for 2 side sconces.

Comentarios (18)

• dclostboy
    hace 10 años
    Mirror does not need to be full length...usually going to be looking at yourself when standing at sink, right? In this case, think 2/3 size of vanity if that still leaves room for sconces. A glass fabricator could help with design. For this powder room, a simple mirror was glam'd up with beveled strips.
    designjennings agradeció a dclostboy
  • dclostboy
    hace 10 años
    Oh, and I love your choice of vanity, color, counter and faucet :)
    designjennings agradeció a dclostboy
  • designjennings
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Thank you - another question if you don't mind. We will have a stand shower to the left of the vanity. Is it okay to put the vanity directly beside the shower? Space is tight but can fit the shower, vanity and toilet all beside one another.
  • cgmgmn
    hace 10 años
    ideally you would have space of approx 18" but bathrooms often do not allow this so I think it's acceptable to butt up to shower. However, consider how you will clean the side once dust starts to collect. I would suggest trimming the vanity in on that side so it looks finished vs squeezed in, and cleaning will be easy. (by the way, love the vanity - pretty and unique) I would go with a round mirror to offset the squares.)
  • lauriaj
    hace 10 años
    The vanity we are looking at for finishing our basement bathroom is very similar! I love what you picked!!! How wide is the vanity? It looks approximately 48 inches? ?? Is the color of the vanity a grey color or white? I think doing a mirror and 2 sconces would fit in with the classic, elegant look of the vanity, top & faucet!
  • leelee
    hace 10 años
    Go with a mirror that does allow for two side sconces. Somehow, over mirror lighting is not very attractive. Vanity is great. Your mirror should be no less than half as wide as vanity.
  • nancy lindsay
    hace 10 años
    love the vanity-may I ask did you have it built or purchased it?
  • aqsscvds
    hace 10 años
    If you pull up photos of vanities, you will find most people choose not to do a mirror that is same width of the vanity. However if it is something you like, you can install the sconces on the mirror. Both looks can be done beautifully.
    Love your vanity!

http://houzz.com/photos/1381370
  • aqsscvds
    hace 10 años
    Hmm second didn't add

http://houzz.com/photos/422575
  • aqsscvds
    hace 10 años
    Sorry to keep posting. Just wanted to add one more that had sconces on the mirror.
    http://houzz.com/photos/234420
    designjennings agradeció a aqsscvds
  • PRO
    Dunrite Contracting
    hace 10 años
    No it doesn't. A kohler recessed mirror will give you the clean lines you desire and room enought for a wall sconce on each side of the mirror. If you have to wall mount it make sure you get the mirror pieces to fill the space on each side
  • PRO
    McLusky Showcase Kitchens & Baths
    hace 10 años
    The size of the mirror should be to your taste. There is no right and wrong method, either way would work. If you want to use wall sconces you will have to down size the mirror width. Perhaps choosing a mirror with a frame that would compliment the vanity.
    designjennings agradeció a McLusky Showcase Kitchens & Baths
  • designjennings
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Thanks everyone - think we'll go with a smaller mirror allowing 2 sconces on each side. Renovations start next week and will post pics. Lauriag - we purchased the vanity at bath city and it is 48".
  • pamelatyrrell
    hace 10 años
    I just completed a bathroom renovation; it is beautiful in grays and whites. The vanity is much like yours and we went with a mirror the width of the vanity with sconces set onto the mirror to reflect the light. It is lovely; however, I'm finding that the light is not adequate to put make up on (we also have can lighting and a midline chandelier; it is a peaked ceiling. This should have been more than adequate). When I reflect back on lighting; I find that lighting over the mirror with down lights has been the best light to see by.... just a thought..... I wish I had picked lighting more carefully...thanks
  • Eugene Lee
    hace 9 años

That's the Fairmont Design Smithfield vanity. Looks like 48". We bought a 24" for our powder room and went with their Framingham in 60" for our master.

• Maureen
    hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años

From the sound of it, space will be a bit tight with the shower being so close, so I might decide on the size/design and placement of the sconces first and then look for a mirror that works within that space.

• alwaysdesigning
    hace 8 años

I have used sconces in one bathroom, and overhead in the master (tall ceilings) and powder, and don't have issues either way. I use the natural light lightbulbs which also helps. Put the lights on dimmers; sometimes you just don't want that glare in your face.

Our new house in the country · Más información

New house in country · Más información

Our new house in country · Más información

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.