Houzz Logo Print
samazi

Need help pulling family room together!!

samazi
hace 10 años
Hi! We recently remodeled our kitchen which darkened our space up quite a bit. To lighten it up we painted the adjoining family room a lighter color (and removed the unsightly vertical blinds)...

I would say our taste is rustic but I want to incorporate some softer touches. I have started the design with some new shelves (which need to be decorated better!) and the sectional will stay (for now!)...

I am looking to add
curtains and more to the wall above the couch, and replace the
rug....ottoman with something less invasive for our feet, maybe a square shape... New counter stools and accents....

I would love to use shades of slate blue/grey for the color. I am especially torn with the rug, curtains and ottoman because I know I will have to blend patterns and materials which I am not great at!

Though I want to keep the space light and airy please note we have two large black dogs who shed and use the sliding door numerous times a day, inevitably tracking in what they will ... :/

Thank you so so much I am looking forward to some fresh ideas!!!

Comentarios (651)

• PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    hace 10 años
    Ah, well, we may need to look for an upholstery fabric. There are some cool faux croc vinyls out there. Hub doesn't mind animal textures does he? Such as elephant hide.
    Ultrasuede comes in many different colors, so many that I'm sure you could match one of the colors in your rug, or go slightly more blue, if you want.
  • PRO
    hace 10 años
    I love that gray color on the ottoman, and 17.5" is an ideal ht. for an ottoman or a coffee table! With just the two of you, the 35" diameter should work fine! Love it!
  • samazi
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    That was a typo it's actually 16.5" tall would that be ok? Just don't want it to look dinky

And I am still waiting to hear about the tray.
    On the flip side I'm not too worried about finding a fabric I love. I think there may be more variety to choose from to get just what we want! ... Hmmm
  • karemore55
    hace 10 años
    OK I spent less than 10 minutes on the Joann Fabrics site and there are so many possibilities, I feel sorry for you Samazi! It will be so much easier to find a fabric than a rug! First one below is denim - can you believe it?

I like Carolyn's ideas also. You'll be like a kid in a candy store!
  • PRO
    hace 10 años
    Check it against the height of your current ottoman.
  • samazi
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Thanks karemore55! I imagine they will have a great in store selection too!
    And Carolyn that round one is about 3" shorter than our current one
  • samazi
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    And I have to say, although I'm partial to the smaller size, and really, the shape of the round, I worry about the stability :/ we often sit on our ottoman and I worry the round would be "tippy."
  • karemore55
    hace 10 años
    Good morning Samazi! All things considered, it sounds like you should go for the square one. Such a sweet deal - even with the cost of recovering it. Did the lady get back to you about the tray? Although I'm sure it was my mistake and that it isn't attached.
  • karemore55
    hace 10 años
    The other thing I like about you buying the square and recovering it is it gives you a chance to customize - to have your own unique look.
  • samazi
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Hi karemore55! I feel the same way about the customization! And worst case it feels too mammoth we put it in the basement! The tray is not attached! It's included but I will look to get something round like Carolyn suggested!
  • samazi
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    And I love projects like this :) wondering if I should keep the legs as is?! I will take better pictures when we pick it up this weekend :)
  • karemore55
    hace 10 años
    Samazi, I like the legs as is. The brown will provide a nice contrast to the rug color and whatever color you cover it in.

Looking forward to more pics - and fabric samples!
  • samazi
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    I agree, that was my first thought! Ya, can't wait to go look at fabric! Hoping to finding it in the width I need, will make my life much easier ;) oh and drapes!!
  • PRO
    hace 10 años
    The legs look wonderful in the photos above, but can't see much of them. Another photo will be helpful, and of course, you could get longer legs to make the ottoman higher. The ottoman we have is about 15.5" high.
  • samazi
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Now if I could just get a response from the seller about their location so I can get it we'll be good! Hoping they didn't get rid of it already!
  • samazi
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Hi ladies, ok a lot has happened since we chatted last! The gal with the ottoman is extremely wishy washy and bad with communication so I have thrown that to the wind for now... I did however find drapes and throw pillows :)
    I'm in the process if hanging the drapes and wondering if I should keep them bunched at the floor or raise them a bit (raise the rod too?)...?
  • karemore55
    hace 10 años
    Samazi, I don't mind them bunched like that, but for practical reasons you might be happier with them raised just off the floor. They will collect dust and dog hairs and whatnot if they're touching the floor, and may even get dirty or muddy.

They look lovely! Are they from PB? And,I caught a glimpse of the cushions - now those definitely look like PB? Oh, your home is going to be so beautiful!
  • samazi
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    All of it is home goods believe it or not!! Made the hubby swing me by there yesterday after we picked up his new plays station (see what I did there :)) and we absolutely lucked out!!!
    The drapes are a tiny basket weave texture but have a nice sheen. It's amazing how big the room feels now, you almost don't even notice the huge bulky ottoman anymore...almost!
  • samazi
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Here's a better pic of the pillows, so they are ok then too?!
  • samazi
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Oh and the rug is in the dining room at the moment, we just stain treated it so it's drying :)
  • karemore55
    hace 10 años
    Yes I do see what you did there and it will be our little secret:))

Samazi, I can't say enough about your choices! You did great, and I can totally picture your rug in there. The scale of the pattern on the pillows is different from the rug pattern, so that's good. The colors are soft and subtle - nothing competing for attention. And all playing off the red brick so nicely!

The curtains look like blue-green to me. Is that how you would describe them? Might go hunting for an ottoman here -'I have about 10 minutes before I must put down the iPad and get some things done!
  • karemore55
    hace 10 años
    Samazi, two thoughts: first, I can see rattan or banana fibre working in here. I like how it would add in an additional texture. You have the soft sleek leather, the rough brick, fuzzy wool, silky curtains - and now the banana fibre. So that could work.

The other idea is microfibres suede in a caramel/brown that is similar to your sectional color. Tough and durable -'you could put your feet up and not feel guilty. And, again, another nice change in texture!
  • PRO
    hace 10 años
    I would definitely move the rod up so that the draperies are just brushing the floor. The pillows look great! Well done, samazi!
  • PRO
    hace 10 años
    This cute ottoman comes in your choice of fabrics and I believe it's on sale now for 20% off the $399 price.
    Square Tufted Storage Ottoman · Más información
  • samazi
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    I like the idea of incorporating texture karemore55, since adding the rug and now the lighter draperies I'm thinking against a light colored ottoman... I'm going to get the rug back in the room to see it all together and keep my eye out for some ottoman prospects!
    And Carolyn the Hubbs and I were just talking about scooting the rod up to see the drape height just off/brushing the floor, thinking practicality..! And thanks, I love the pillows too :)
  • samazi
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Is this any better? I realized (what you don't notice when they are bunched at the floor) is that the panel on the right is slightly longer :/ if I raise them off the floor one will be much higher. As it is the rod is slightly higher on the right to compensate... Home goods is always good for these slight imperfections, ugh!
  • samazi
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Here's the pic
  • PRO
    hace 10 años
    Perfect!
  • samazi
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Oh that's so good to hear!
  • samazi
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    And where is thy ottoman from Carolyn?!
  • PRO
    hace 10 años
    That nice ottoman with legs that I showed above is from Ballard Designs.
  • samazi
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Thank you I'll check it out!
  • PRO
    hace 10 años
    Have fun shopping! It's double fun when one can be in one's jammies or jeans.
  • karemore55
    hace 10 años
    Samazi, Here's a link to a DIY ottoman made from a coffee table blog. I read through it and I'm the kind,of person who would rather save myself the trouble and just go buy an ottoman. You, on the other hand, might find this fun - so here you are!

http://newlywedmcgees.blogspot.ca/2012/08/diy-upholstered-ottoman.html
  • karemore55
    hace 10 años
    I came across this little cutie from Pier One. I think the print and colors would look good in your FR.

(Having an insomnia night so I'm scrolling around on Pinterest!)
  • karemore55
    hace 10 años
    OK, one more collage with the latest look, plus I threw in the Pier One ottoman - plus a pic of Mark Harmon. Doesn't he just make every room look better?:)))
  • karemore55
    hace 10 años
    Forgot the collage - I think I'm finally getting sleepy lol.
  • PRO
    hace 10 años
    That's a great find, karemore! And I don't mean Mark Harmon. That ottoman looks like it would work beautifully in samazi's room.
  • samazi
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Lol! You are too funny karemore55! And I do love that ottoman! Where did you find it?!
  • samazi
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Oh and that blog has been my inspiration! I am just having the darnedest time finding the coffee table!!
  • sondramartina
    hace 10 años
    Samazi when can we see rug together with panels & pillows?
  • karemore55
    hace 10 años
    Samazi, The ottoman is from Pier One.

You have to admit the room just wouldn't quite look the same without Mark Harmon in it. Hopefully, your hubby is a good substitute lol!
  • samazi
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    You're certainly right karemore55 lol ! My hubby works as a great substitute though lol!
    I'm sorry for the delay, and for how dark this is but I will have to wait to get a better pic this weekend when I'm home while the sun is out!!!
    And Carolyn I know you'll hate that I still have those shelves up but they need to stay until I can find some art!!
    Also next is an end table where the crates are, I might swap them for the one I have on the left end temporarily, but I will have to sneakily do that when the hubby is gone!
  • karemore55
    hace 10 años
    Definitely looking good, Samazi! If you do go with a round ottoman, maybe consider getting a square side table so we don't get too many circles going on!

Also, I know I brought it up before and the idea didn't seem to get much love, but I can still picture your two shelves hung at the same level to form one continuous shelf. It would hang a bit lower than the lowest,one on there now. Then over time you can add your art, starting with your biggest piece more or less in the middle, and spreading out from there.

Would like to hear Carolyn weigh in on this though.
  • samazi
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Sorry karemore55 been a busy day! And sorry I never addressed that suggestion earlier! I hate to base so much of my decor on my dogs but the largest issue with lowering the shelves, other than the fact my Hubbs is 6'6" is that my dog likes to play mountain goat when we're sitting on the couch and climb all over my hubby's shoulders/the back of the couch, and the shelves would certainly get knocked about :/
  • karemore55
    hace 10 años
    Samazi, That is too funny! Well, dogs will be dogs -'and hubbies will be hubbies! I personally would like to see something three dimensional on that wall, and the shelves are certainly 3D. It seems like a perfectly flat 2D painting won't be enough to balance the brick on the opposite wall. Having said that the two short shelves are chopping things up a bit. So, hmmm......thinking, scheming.....the solution will appear when it's good and ready!
  • PRO
    hace 10 años
    In a tight space like the fireplace/TV viewing in samazi's house, I would rather see art flat against the wall instead of the shelves. With all the rectangular items in this room, I think that a round end table and a round ottoman would be a welcome change from all the rectangles, so I'd definitely choose a round end table and a round ottoman if samazi finds one she likes.
  • Darzy
    hace 10 años
    Hi...I'm back like a bad penny! I agree with Carolyn about the round ottoman/side tables to offer soft curves in an otherwise rectangular space. And, frankly, I really, really do not like shelves with "stuff" over a sofa. Very cluttered and too claustrophobic for my tastes.
  • PRO
    hace 10 años
    Regarding those shelves, samazi, the shelves will not get knocked about by the dogs if the shelves are not there. When you place art on the wall, it will be important for you to "lock" it in place with a double sided sticky tape made for that purpose.
  • prisonerofzenda
    hace 10 años
    I'd knock out the wall with the sliders and turn it into a wall of windows.
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.