Houzz Logo Print
rsabshin

Bringing it together

Renee
hace 10 años
I am trying to figure out how to bring this living room together. I am on a budget because we just redid our bathrooms. Eventually, I would like to do over the fireplace. For now, any ideas on bits of furniture and accessories that would help out here? The couch, chairs and coffee table have to stay. Charlie Brown stays too. I think the rug is too small. Also, I can't figure out what to put to the right of the fireplace to balance the bookshelf on the other side. Big art? Should I get two new pieces of furniture on either side of the fireplace?

In the short term, I could cover the fireplace marble with some funky colorful tiles (I am imagining I can do that myself ...). I don't think that marble goes with the rest of the room. The coffee table matches my dining table on the other side of the stairs.

It is not a formal room. I like fun stuff that makes me smile.

All ideas welcome. Thanks!!!

Comentarios (33)

• PRO
    Dytecture
    hace 10 años
    Liking everything in the room except for the open bookcases which looks a bit too 'informal'compared with other furniture in the room.
  • PRO
    Annalise Bubes
    hace 10 años
    Hi there! I would first look at the colors in the pieces you are keeping such as the couch, chairs, table, charlie brown wall art, and start looking at decor that would tie all of these colors together. I would add a bigger piece of art or a mirror above the table on the right of the fireplace to even out the bookcase. I would also pick a rug with a pattern that goes with all of the colors that you are keeping in the room to get started!
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    hace 10 años
    Get another bookcase like you have. Move right up next to firepl. Just a few items many 1 or 2 per. Chest blend to much and does nothing. Small pic. Never do. Love Charlie, very cute. Use colors from that for accessories for bookcases. And pillows. Mix it up. Wall color a little bright for a living room. I would tone it down.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    hace 10 años
    Add big round basket to coffee add 3-5 white tall orchids can go fake. Add Spanish moss to cover pots.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    hace 10 años
    On bookcase you do not need to fill each opening remove 1/3 of stuff put on other side case.
  • dclostboy
    hace 10 años
    Charlie Brown is awesome...agree that second book shelf will help balance. Seating area feels crowded...pull chairs back to open up a bit.
  • Kathy Webber
    hace 10 años
    Perhaps place the sofa where the chairs are and the chairs in front of the windows. Try two pieces of small art over the chest with the lamp.
  • Renee
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    I have these two big pictures but I think they would overwhelm in this room? Ignore the one on the table.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    hace 10 años
    Remove bookcase on side wall. Add yellow pillows to chair backs. And sofa. On top of bookcases add 3 various heights pots in white Ikea has them. Place on one end grouped together. Make one 20" high. You want to bring the eye up. Need height by firepl. Love your art posters.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    hace 10 años
    My computer does not show true colors, your walls look lemon yellow?
  • Kathy Webber
    hace 10 años
    Lean the colorful print you have on chest next to lamp.
  • Darzy
    hace 10 años
    Última modificación: hace 10 años
    I think your room looks really good! I don't think the rug is too small and I like it a lot. If you like things that make you smile, I'd suggest one of the monkey pod side tables for between your chairs. (link below). I think every chair needs a place to set down a beverage. I'd also suggest lowering the art piece by the lamp to almost as low as the bottom of the shade. Then, a crystal bowl (maybe filled will red/green apples) to relate to the glass and add green/red there. Love the art and whimsy.
    http://www.thaiexpressions.com/index.php/monkey-pod-imported-thai-furniture.html
  • Renee
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Wow! Thanks for the input! The walls are off white. When I repaint, I will go whiter. It is a tough room to paint a color because it is open to the whole house including the upstairs hallway. There is no good place to stop. Sounds like the bookshelf and green cabinet have to go and get two new pieces on either side of the fireplace... Now pouring my husband a drink. Ha!
  • jmbharvey
    hace 10 años
    I love Charlie brown but would prefer to see him over the console by the couch. I feel this would feel more cozy with the mood of the picture. This would also balance better with the bookcase. Perhaps a fun mirror over the mantel.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    hace 10 años
    Love pots add to bookcase when you get it. Love art you show. Get picture stand from michaels. Not too big and place your art in them and put on top of bookcases in center. Measure depth of top shelve to know what size to buy. Hanging them over bookcase I don't think would work. You have high ceiling. They won't overwhelm. Or if big enough each side of shutters hung low, might work. I just try things everywhere till I find a home.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    hace 10 años
    Omg. Your walls look so yellow. White is fine. But use bold colors with it. Love the bathrooms. A girl after my own heart. It's usually so hard to get people to use color. Your area rug, could be bolder, and lighter. What size is it? Should be 8x11 or bigger. Go a very contemporary (think Pollock art) look for rug. Google the artist Pollock. To see. It's a mass of colors very bold, just your kind of guy. By the way make it a double for hubby's drink. You have shopping to do. I love your bookcase. Just need another one just like it.
  • Kathy Webber
    hace 10 años
    I like your eclectic look; if you switch placement of sofa and chairs it will open the space and you will not really need more furniture. Turn the rug the other way and center your coffee table with the fireplace.
  • Darzy
    hace 10 años
    No! I like your little green cabinet. True, I'd rather see a closed armoire where the open bookcase is. Ya know...do you have any of the red tile from the bathroom left? It would look great as your FP surround.
  • Darzy
    hace 10 años
    Hand Dyed Mustard Yellow Linen Lumbar Pillow Cover 12 x 18 inch Shell Button DR · Más información
  • groveraxle
    hace 10 años
    I would not add any art to compete with Charlie Brown. I'd replace the bookcase with a big plant, get a much more substantial lamp, add some pillows in that buttery yellow that appears to be in your rug, and for the fireplace...maybe removable wallpaper?
  • Darzy
    hace 10 años
    I agree that "matching" bookcase look nice flanking a fireplace but I don't think that is your style. It will look too traditional and more formal looking and that is just not you. I like the asymmetrical mix for you. Keep the green chest.
  • Darzy
    hace 10 años
    I was also thinking peel and stick temporary tile or wallpaper for your FP surround as a temporary punch. I was worried the heat would melt or start the paper on fire. May not be a problem.
  • groveraxle
    hace 10 años
    I do not think your rug is too small. And I think the lamp below is probably more appropriate for you, but it's really pricey.
  • groveraxle
    hace 10 años
    If you use the fireplace and are worried about wallpaper, find a metalworker who can fabricate a surround for you out of steel or aluminum sheet. Then just glue it on.
  • Maria Cristina R. Adkins
    hace 10 años
    I would say that if you put some colorful flowers on your coffee table and changed the color of your coach and chair for a light one would be nice with your wall, and a light beige carpet would match with your furniture and wall and also fireplace (their color is very pretty).
  • leelee
    hace 10 años
    Don't like the way the coffee table butts up to the fireplace. Could you move the sofa & coffee table so they face the FP? Then put a chair on each side angled in to face the sofa.
  • PRO
    Crafted Tiles
    hace 10 años
    http://www.crafted-tiles.com theres lots of models of tiles, very cheap and customizable.
  • PRO
    Crafted Tiles
    hace 10 años
    Also i think the bookcase would look better on the other side of the FP
  • PRO
    Lydia (Kazza Design)
    hace 10 años
    Your rug isn't too small. Charlie Brown is great so I think he should be the only thing on that wall. I suggest swapping the couch and chairs to give the room better flow. Move the green cabinet to where the console table is. Move the bookcase and console table to another room or wall not in the living room. This way Charlie Brown is the star! You mentioned painting that whole space white but the fireplace wall (all the way to the dining room) could very easily be a feature wall by painting it a different colour. I love the colour from the cabinet - it would really pop with the white walls (that you plan on painting). This colour would also enhance Charlie Brown.
  • Renee
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Thanks for the suggestions! I love the yellow pillows and that lamp! I should have said my fireplace is non-working so I can play with the front of it without worrying about burning up anything. I am going to try to remove the bookshelf and brown console, look for lower cabinet that harmonizes with the green one, and add those yellow pillows and a throw and plants. And, I will straighten out the furniture to make it more cozy. Finally, I will look at doing something fun with the fireplace. The picture with the blue tile was fantastic! I won't paint the walls a color yet because the wall into the dining room doesn't have a good stopping point but will think about paint elsewhere. Thanks all. I will post when I have done some rearranging and shopping. Your tips were very helpful! So great to see a room through new eyes.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    hace 10 años
    Última modificación: hace 10 años
    Two cabinets on each side of the fireplace. I would get another cabinet to go with the green one. Try to get another one that is the same height. I think I would like them the same color. Maybe you can paint a used one to match. If one is a bit too short, you can buy legs to add to the shortest one.

Move the coffee table in the middle of the fireplace. Keep chairs there. Place the chairs the same distance from the coffee table as the sofa is from the coffee table.

Add colorful pillows. You can use other large art on each side of the fireplace that does not distract from snoopy. Maybe black framed wallpaper, or wrapping paper. Both should be the same. Snoopy will still be the star of the show.
  • leelee
    hace 10 años
    Your nice cabinet near the FP seems hidden by the sofa. Lower the art over the cabinet so that it's just 3 or 4 inches above the top and bring it in toward the lamp an inch or two. As it is now it competes with CB. It needs to be part of the cabinet, lamp, art grouping.
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.