Houzz Logo Print
webuser_6011673

Found this gossip chair at a yard sale and suddenly I found new love.

Vivian-Will Vangas
hace 10 años
First time at making over. Here are the before and after pics:

Comentarios (74)

• kgullatte
    hace 10 años
    OMG we had one of those when I was a little girl. Looks Awesome!
  • PRO
    Mitchell Channon Design
    hace 10 años
    Very stylish and fun.
  • bubblyjock
    hace 10 años
    @ daylilydiva - I think what you're describing is aka a tete-a-tete chair - and I agree, super make-over!
    John Derian Company Inc — Tete-a-Tete · Más información
  • PRO
    purehome
    hace 10 años
    This is stunning!!!!!!
  • underedenx
    hace 10 años
    OMG! im hyperventilating!! I luv it! I LUV IT!
  • prairiegourmet
    hace 10 años
    We use both the terms telephone table and gossip bench here in Midwest. I suppose because you can sit at the telephone table and gossip for hours. A tete-a-tete chair is what we call furniture with two attached seats facing opposite directions.

Fantastic transformation!
  • PRO
    Sweetlake Interior Design LLC
    hace 10 años
    Looks great!!!
  • glaaat
    hace 10 años
    Love! I would love to see what else you got up your sleeve!
  • Audrey Bafi
    hace 10 años
    What a gorgeous piece! So original!
  • Vivian-Will Vangas
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Thanks everyone. I really enjoyed working on this chair.
    Since, I found this chair/chaise (free) not sure what to call it but thought it was interesting enough to make it my new project. It needs work but I'm up for the challenge. I've just about finished stripping and sanding. Im thinking black frame, black fabric on back of piece and at the front face some sort of bold velvet. Suggestions welcomed! :)
  • olldcan
    hace 10 años
    No, no, you don't need suggestions or advice. Your take, has a fresh and unique twist. Can't wait to see what you do with this piece. Please just surprise us :)
  • joykeefe
    hace 10 años
    What are the sparkles around the top?
  • Angel 18432
    hace 10 años
    so love it...................
  • Vivian-Will Vangas
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    @ joykeefe, the sparkle you see around the top is a beaded trim used for drapery. Thanks!
    I really wanted to make this piece fun and interestingly enough it's been a great conversation "gossip" piece. :)
  • Angela Cairns
    hace 10 años
    Fantastic job, looks really great x
  • joykeefe
    hace 10 años
    Great way to think "outside the box"! Super job! I'm going to copy this.
  • Karin S.
    hace 10 años
    Wow! Would love to have one for my entry!
  • lefty47
    hace 10 años
    Última modificación: hace 10 años
    HI --- Great find for your next project ! I think what you have found may not be a chaise but in fact one half of a divided sofa . Might be early 1900's and maybe French -- it is either French Provincial or Italian Provincial in style . Or it could just be from the 40's -50's ,and Hollywood Regency .
  • Vivian-Will Vangas
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Thanks lefty47, I've had such a difficult time trying to identify the period for that piece. I hope it wasn't worth anything. Interestingly, the piece has carvings that are not symmetrically, it gives me the impression that it could be hand carved. Not really sure.
    Nonetheless, I can't wait to give it new life!
    Thanks again for the info!
  • lefty47
    hace 10 años
    HI -- Can't wait to see what you do with this . I see a future in this for you , for sure !
  • PRO
    Comwest Construction
    hace 10 años
    Great job!
  • emme45
    hace 10 años
    Nice job on the first piece, look forward to see what you do with the second
  • emme45
    hace 10 años
    Some of the restoration hardware pieces have a nice balance of old and new for inspiration
  • Jodi P
    hace 10 años
    WOW!! You are amazing! Great job! I dream of doing that, but don't have the guts! Proud of you! love it!!
  • lefty47
    hace 10 años
    HI - Vivian -- How are you doing on that other piece of furniture ? Just want to give you an idea . Because what your doing restoring these pieces and if your going to be doing this as a money maker --- I think you should sign and date each completed piece . You are creating art furniture after all !
  • capkirk1235
    hace 10 años
    I'm not a fan of Zebra print but you have done a fabulous job! I mean really chic! Wow
  • bungalowmo
    hace 10 años
    That is just too freakin cute!! Totally love it!
  • Vivian-Will Vangas
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Thanks everyone that was a fun project to do!

Hi lefty, it's funny you mentioned signing those piece. I'm actually thinking of putting a notes inside my pieces on how I came to find it. Like a time capsule. I thought that would be fun. Of course, if I decide to sell I would give the buyer a copy of that note.

As far as the 2nd piece, I had to put that on hold for a couple of days! I just got started again. Thanks for asking! I will definitely post it as soon as I'm done. I had no idea how much work it entailed to reupholster this piece!!!
  • brickln
    hace 10 años
    That's a beauty- great charging station! The second piece is unusual- early chair and a half? :) Can't wait to see what you do with it.
  • PRO
    OmmaSae
    hace 10 años
    Oh my what a beautiful job!!!!
  • PRO
    Studio NOO Design
    hace 10 años
    You are good at this, congrats !
  • diyher
    hace 10 años
    nice job. I have one of those from my Mom. She had bought it 2nd hand that came with the matching Van Scivers dining room table, chairs, buffet and china cabinet. After my Mom passed away, no one needed the dining room set, so I just took the gossip chair, although growing up, we always called it the telephone table :) Mine was solid walnut, so I just stripped it and restained it. I just need to recover it and not sure what to cover it with.
  • rlaufen
    hace 10 años
    I have one just like yours.
  • cani
    hace 10 años
    Love this! I have one of those little telephone seats and wanted to do it in zebra and black and now that I see how fantastic yours looks I really want to do it. Can you tell me where you found your zebra fabric?
  • PRO
    Michael Lee, Inc
    hace 10 años
    Beautiful! Wow what a great way to repurpose an old piece of furniture.
  • K Carlstrom
    hace 10 años
    That is one hot gossip bench! It makes me smile. Perhaps there's a hot pink princess telephone out there waiting to be reunited with an old friend. Nice job.
  • decoenthusiaste
    hace 10 años
    How cute is that? Too bad we don't use the kind of telephones the little table used to hold!
  • grobby
    hace 10 años
    First, I want to congratulate you for calling it a Gossip Bench. So many times I see them called " telephone bench."

You have made a high end piece of furniture with the make over,
    Perfect paint and fabric choices. My niece inherited her granny's
    Bench and I want her to see your beautiful make over.
  • judy1740
    hace 10 años
    Awesome job!
  • Wendy
    hace 10 años
    Stunning job.
  • Darzy
    hace 10 años
    Spectacular!
  • cani
    hace 9 años
    I just spent a few hours looking for your post. I remembered it and plan on doing a telephone bench with the black and zebra. . Can you tell me how you painted it? What type of paint? Also love your zebra fabric. Do you remember where you bought it? The ones I have seen the pattern is too small and looks to busy. The fabric you used is perfect. I just love what you did with that piece.
  • diyher
    hace 9 años
    Cani, that's no fun. Come up with your own version that shows your style and creativity :)
  • cani
    hace 9 años
    diyher, that is my style. lol I have had my piece (a bench seat with attached table, an actual telephone seat) for a long time and had thought of doing that and when I saw this piece I decided I would do it. I just don't have a clue what paint to use for wood so it doesn't chip all over the place. Did you ever recover yours?
  • Mia Coursen
    hace 9 años
    Wow what a terrific job!
  • Vintage...VJ Jazzy Jazz
    hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años
    @vivian ..
    Just fab fab ...... :0)
    It was meant tooo be in your hands
    Toooo bring it back toooo life

I have lots of pieces
    Of furniture ......
    I get from car boots Charity shops Junk shops .

I always ask
    About the back ground ..
    Tooooo them all ....sometimes they know ...sometimes they don't
    It's like they all
    Have a story toooo tell
    And ....I am carrying on the story ..
    I often look at pieces ..
    And think ...I wonder what sort of home they came from ....

If pieces of furniture
    Could talk ..

I always carry a pen and paper with me ..
    It always comes in handy ..
    Silly verses and all that nonsense..
    So your idea of a furniture capsule is a fab one

do it ........
    I guess you did as this is an old post ..
    Hope you get tooo do more before
    And afters ..
  • tinagmarie
    hace 9 años
    Not a fan of the zebra fabric but very cool chair. I would put an old phone on it.
  • ballyhoogirl
    hace 9 años
    Fabulous! Love it!
  • wisneb
    hace 9 años
    I love it!! Fab job!! Now you need to put a "little black book" on it. :)
  • PRO
    Evelyn Phelps Interiors
    hace 8 años

So fun!

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.