Houzz Logo Print
lisa_gunderson

Help with choosing a window to replace large picture window.

We are replacing all of our windows in our home. The other windows will all be double hung windows. However, we do not want this large picture window any more for a number if reasons including air flow. Trying to decide if we will replace it with 4 double hung or casement windows. Will also be adding grilles and shutters. Or does anybody else have any additional suggestions? Have been going about this for a while now and cannot make a decision!

Comentarios (19)

• PRO
    Lisa Marie Gunderson
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    We recently moved in and landscaping will also be updated, etc.
  • PRO
    Gannage Design & Construction
    hace 10 años
    It is hard to suggest without seeing what other windows it will be relating with, but a consideration would be Double hung on the sides with two casements in the middle opening in the center
  • Yoonjung Nam
    hace 10 años
    Double hung on the sides and picture window in the middle as the original but add some grills! If you coud post a picture of whole house, it would help a lot.
  • PRO
    Lisa Marie Gunderson
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    The other windows will be replaced with double hung. Also going to redo garage door into a window (maybe three hung) since when we moved in it was already converted into a living space!
  • PRO
    Lisa Marie Gunderson
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    My home
  • PRO
    Lisa Marie Gunderson
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Side windows.
  • PRO
    Lisa Marie Gunderson
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Garage door that will also eventually need to be replaced into a wall /window. Can use suggestions for this too!
  • motownmom
    hace 10 años
    If you can afford it, I'd recommend getting a bay window installed. I replaced all my windows several years ago and a neighbor down the street had the exact same layout as my house, but had the bay window where my large picture window was in my living room. I got a beautiful bay window with wood inside and it's lovely. What a difference it makes from an esthetic and design perspective. I can't recall the price difference between the bay and just a standard window. But it makes a world of difference in light in the room and how "rich" the room looks, as well as the external look.

It looks the most like the picture in the upper right of Lampert Dias 4 pictures posted. However, mine are sharp angles, not rounded.
  • Dar Eckert
    hace 10 años
    Stone Residence 1 · Más información

Brookdale Gardens · Más información

The upper window without the curved window or just about any window option on the second photo.
  • PRO
    Lisa Marie Gunderson
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Thank you, everybody! I have debated on a bay, but we plan to add a front porch so I do not think that will work. Love your suggestions! Will keep everybody posted as we begin the renovation. I really love the idea of the photo with the smaller upper windows. I think they were casement. Also like the idea of the two casement and hung on sides. Very different. Great suggestions. Here is a photo from the inside. :)
  • PRO
    Lisa Marie Gunderson
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    One more.
  • Yoonjung Nam
    hace 10 años
    Última modificación: hace 10 años
    One more thing I would like to suggest is to add wider window frame or add one line brick on top of the window. Your window is too close to the roof line. In this case, you might want to replace all windows on front side. Bay windows are more expensive and also adding more grills will cost you more. Window cost varies depending on the material, wood>aluminum clad>fiber glass>vinyl. Casement window is beautiful but it has some drawbacks. Most windows on the above are expensive choices.Good luck!
  • Geneviève
    hace 10 años
    I think that this window will look nice with the style of your house.

Replacement Picture Window · Más información
  • karenrid
    hace 10 años
    If you are planning to add a porch, you could knock out a few more bricks and replace the windows with French doors opening onto your porch. Great for airflow and indoor-outdoor living.
  • PRO
    Lisa Marie Gunderson
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Lol my husband is going to forbid me from this website. ;) so many wonderful ideas. His eyes are seeing money signs and hours of work. All worth it though!
  • PRO
    Door Store and Windows
    hace 9 años
    You may also wish to replace the picture window with an awning window, then add the double-hung windows on the sides. Awning windows allow the fresh air to flow, and can be made to fit the size of most picture windows. Here's a link to a video that will tell you more:

Adding grilles, as you suggested, will update the look of the windows as well.
  • kariprohaska
    hace 8 años
    a xmkm r
  • kikichurch
    hace 3 años

I know this post is old but I’m curious which window configuration you decided on?? I am facing the same dilemma. Any updates?

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.