Houzz Logo Print
sofia_miller

Main upstairs Bathroom

Sofia Miller
hace 10 años
I am currently working on a bathroom in my new home. The house was a foreclosure sale, and for those of you that have had exposure to these homes , you know the kind of work the bank does to get it ready for sale.
The main bath on the second floor was painted by the bank in a cheap flat paint. Apparently they never primed the walls first because the top coat is peeling (almost resembles snake skin) and revealing this hideous olive green and royal blue under paint. Because this is in a well used bathroom. I have had to remove as much as possible by scraping and then using Kilz(original oil base) to prime it. I recommend using a fan and doing this on a day that you can open the windows, I have been a bit lightheaded due to the fumes:)
After the first coat dries I will then patch and apply a light coat of spackle to the areas that I have scraped to give the walls a smooth finish.

Comentarios (14)

• PRO
    Dytecture
    hace 10 años
    Much refreshed bathroom.
    Sofia Miller agradeció a Dytecture
  • Sofia Miller
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    I agree! This has been a project thus far and the primer just about killed me :( I am just about finished with the project (it has never taken me so long to finish one room!) all I have left is the bath cabinet to redo.
  • PRO
    KILZ Brands
    hace 10 años
    Hello Sofia! Since the area is small and has no window, we would recommend a water-base primer like KILZ 2 or KILZ Premium. Both primers are ideal for moistureprone areas since they provide a mildew resistant finish. If you are concerned with adhesion, KILZ Premium is the better choice of the two. We advise that you run the exhaust fan to ensure proper ventilation during and after you prime.. Even though paint fumes in latex/acrylic/water-base paints are low compared to alkyd/oil-base paints, the fumes may increase in intensity due to high humidity levels.

Our primers are formulated to work for different projects. KILZ Original is designed to tackle tough, medium to severe stains such as water, nicotine, smoke and pet so it's probably not the right product for your project. In your case, a water-base primer like KILZ 2 is great for minimal decorative painting projects like changing interior and exterior paint color and priming new drywall.

If you have additional questions, we would be happy to discuss this further. You can contact us directly at ask@kilz.com. Thanks!
    Sofia Miller agradeció a KILZ Brands
  • Sofia Miller
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Thanks Kilz team! I did use the original formula because there were stains and severe flaking on the existiing walls. I have since painted over the primer and I love the result thus far. The only situation I am encountering is on the half wall by the sink. The paint around the edge seems to be peeling off. Its not really bad but its happening nonetheless. I used a satin paint over the primer and the rest of the room seems to be ok. Its just that one spot. Any suggestions?
    The room is almost done. I am on the finishing touches with the vanity.
  • PRO
    KILZ Brands
    hace 10 años
    When an isolated area fails, there's a reason. There is contamination. If there was something wrong with the primer or paint, it would fail everywhere. Chances are, it's something that didn't get adequately cleaned prior to painting (it may have appeared clean), like hairspray, soap scum, bathroom cleaner residue, or something like that. If you can brush off any remaining flakes and clean with a cleaner that doesn't leave a residue (ammonia & water or alcohol), you should be able to recoat with the primer & paint (maybe just the paint). Hope this helps!
    Sofia Miller agradeció a KILZ Brands
  • Sofia Miller
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Ok Fellow Houzzers, I have finally finished this project! After doing some basic math, I was quite happy to realize I stayed way under budget. I had guestimated that this project would probably end up costing me around $300.00. I am proud to say that the total cost of this whole redo was almost $176.00! I will follow up with a list of the items that I had to purchase or recycle from other parts of my home and the info on them. I will also include the approximate costs.

Menards :1 Gal. Kilz Oil Base Primer - $25.00 (after two coasts I still have half a gallon left, this will save some cash for the next projects:)
    Menards: 1 gal Glidden Satin for the ceiling, 1 gal. Glidden Satin for the walls $27.00 each
    Tuesday Morning had the mirror for $34.97 (by the way that was my first time there, LOVE IT!)
    Menards: Light fixture on clearance $30.00
    Home depot: 1 quart Martha Stewart Eagle Brown Metallic Paint $17.00 (didn't even use 1/8th if the quart for the vanity after 2 coats.
    Kohls: Shower curtain $19.00
  • unwantedadvice
    hace 10 años
    Sofia, your bathroom update looks great!! I am glad you posted the final outcome. Your color choices are quite nice and the cabinet turned out well. Like your shower curtain and light fixtures. Isn't Tuesday Morning a great place to shop? If you have a Home Goods, check them out as well. Nice of Kilz to contact you. They have great products. Again excellent work, I bet you are happy with the results. :))
    Sofia Miller agradeció a unwantedadvice
  • PRO
    Az Plumber Near Me
    hace 10 años
    What an amazing transformation! I love the color of the walls! Great job Sofia!

Cadiente Plumbing – Brett Cadiente
    625 W Southern Ave, Suite E-195
    Mesa, AZ 85210
    Office: 480-630-3981
    Sofia Miller agradeció a Az Plumber Near Me
  • User
    hace 10 años
    I like your redo. I see you changed out your light fixture and added a bowed shower rod. Does it add a lot of space in the shower? I am intrigued with your vanity paint, I want go to store to check it out. Great job!
    Sofia Miller agradeció a User
  • pegonia1
    hace 10 años
    Nicely done!!!!
    Sofia Miller agradeció a pegonia1
  • Sofia Miller
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    More pics
  • Sofia Miller
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    iltuh1,
    The bowed rod does seem to add a little bit more room to the shower. My 15 year old son likes the extra room and he's pretty pick lol
  • kyleburd
    hace 10 años
    Very nicely done!
Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.