Houzz Logo Print
kelli_miller9179169

Casement vs Sliding Windows

Kelli Miller
el último mes

I am trying to decide if I should go with casement windows or sliding windows. Casement is more expensive, but the window guy keeps telling me that the sliders will look better because there will be 6 inches of vinyl in between the glass panels on the casement windows, whereas the sliders will be much thinner and more glass, since there is a view, I am taking that into consideration. But I think the casement windows are still a better option? Also, since we are close to the beach, he said that the casement windows will be more maintenance. Should I just go with the sliders?here is a photo. We are replacing the entire window along with the blocks above it. It will be one big window. And there are two of them on that wall.

Comentarios (10)

• Kelli Miller
    Autor original
    el último mes

Also we are replacing the French door and that window with one big sliding door. And we are also doing them all in black color.

• Kelli Miller
    Autor original
    el último mes

So casement has more issues? Good to know.

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    el último mes

If you are in a hurricane zone I’d prefer a casement. In my opinion they seal much better than sliders.

• Kelli Miller
    Autor original
    el último mes

I’m in San Diego. No (real) hurricanes.

• millworkman
    el último mes

What brand and line of windows? Many brands the slider is the low end of their product offerings.

• Kelli Miller
    Autor original
    el último mes

Simonton

• PRO
    HomeSealed Exteriors, LLC
    el último mes

Some good feedback above.

Casements: Best seal, higher end look (subjectively speaking), more service issues (they sag), higher cost.

Sliders: More glass, less money, they don't seal as well and can have some install related issues when the outer edge of the sill isn't fully supported.

Based on being in a pretty mild climate, I'd say that sliders would be a fine option for you.

• M Miller
    el último mes

"So casement has more issues? Good to know."

That is not right. I think the comment above to "more issues" was referring to the screens having more issues not the casements themselves.

Tell us more about your "window guy", specifically what brand of windows is he talking about? All this discussion of casements vs sliders is not that meaningful if we are talking about a low-end brand vs a high-quality brand.

I've actually never had a windows contractor recommend sliders instead of casements. The sliders have so much air infiltration compared to casements. But as HomeSealed mentioned, perhaps in a mild climate it does not matter as much. In my climate it matters a great deal.

• Kelli Miller
    Autor original
    el último mes

The brand is Simonton. Thank you for your advice!

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.