Houzz Logo Print
rkidwiler

Window question

rkidwiler
el último mes

Hi - I do not have a lot of experience with windows and wanted to check on something I'm being told by a potential contractor. Please see the windows in the lower part of the house in the pictures - specifically the triple windows. The bottom part is the part that opens and it opens using a crank handle. The top part is fixed. I was interested in just replacing the lower part, which I thought was a spearate window, but I was told that it is not possible. I got an estimate that refers to mulled windows. I looked up what that means, and it's not clear to me that these are mulled windows. I'd appreciate input on whether it looks like what I'm asking cannot be done. I realize without actually seeing the windows it might be hard, and unfortunately I'm not at the house and can't take better pictures, but I thought I'd see if anyone could share their thoughts based on the information I'm giving.

Comentarios (8)

• PRO
    toddinmn
    el último mes
    Última modificación: el último mes

That whole bank of 6 windows is mulled together. It is possible to do one but not recommened and most pro’s would not do it.

rkidwiler agradeció a toddinmn
  • millworkman
    el último mes

Physically attached (mechanically thru the mullion piece). Not really something to take apart and not other brand would line up sightlines.

rkidwiler agradeció a millworkman
  • kevin9408
    el último mes

What do you want to change about the lower awning window? Is there a problem? The lower awning sash can easily be removed by taking out a few screws so what exactly do you want? The name of the window brand may be on the crank cover or etched in a corner of the window pane so I'd see if you can identify the window brand for replacement parts, and not a contractor trying to sell you new windows.

There are also people who can do anything you want with the sash, (for a price) and would be much cheaper than replacing the entire thing. New hardware? New glass? Even a rotted wood frame section can be reproduced.

rkidwiler agradeció a kevin9408
  • rkidwiler
    Autor original
    el último mes

Thanks all for the feedback. It confirms what i was told so that helps! Kevin, If by the sash you mean the lower part of the window that cranks out to open, I have one part that is starting to rot and on that same window there is some white discoloration in the glass. I was hoping to be able to replace just that part but it sounds like it would need to be repaired or the whole thing replaced.

• rkidwiler
    Autor original
    el último mes

To clarify - by “the whole thing replaced” I meant the whole bank of six windows.

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    el último mes

To mirror what everyone else has said replacing one part of that window means replacing all six together. It stinks but there it is.

rkidwiler agradeció a HALLETT & Co.
  • klem1
    el último mes

If you only want to replace one lower window and old one can be removed by removing screws a cabinet shop can help. Before making the frame cabinet shop will need a new glass which glass shops build every day. Probably use same rail and stile bit as closet doors.

rkidwiler agradeció a klem1
Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.