Houzz Logo Print
li92

How to decorate range wall?

Lisa
hace 4 meses

We finally have backsplash nearing completion (hooray) but I feel like the rest of the wall needs Something and I'm not sure what.

Our hood vents out the back and at the time when we installed it didn't feel like getting the extension kit for the vertical metal part so it's just kinda floating there. Our ceiling is about 9' 8" tall. We can't do sconces or anything electric because it would require drilling the solid brick exterior wall. I was thinking maybe decorative brass or copper pots, maybe paintings? I guess most in this situation would have a much bigger and dramatic hood, but not so interested in expense and time to set that up.

any suggestions?

Comentarios (31)

• acm
    hace 4 meses

Well, it looks like you've already edged your tile; otherwise, I'd say maybe try taking the tile to the ceiling just between the windows. Otherwise, maybe you can find a matching pair of tile art pieces or the like?

Colored Metal Butterfly Wall Decor, Set of 3 Butterflies Wall Art · Más información

• k8cd
    hace 4 meses

This website has some really pretty options-

https://www.grahambrown.com/us/shades/view-all/

• k8cd
    hace 4 meses
  • Design Fan
    hace 4 meses

+1 for the green tile to the ceiling.

Does the height of the white crown molding over the hood/windows match the cabinet crown? What are the white blocks(?) where the white/cabinet crown meet?

• Lisa
    Autor original
    hace 4 meses

Green tile to the ceiling is a no go - bought it as a discounted second and we dont have enough quantity. Also my husband is diying the tile because our contractor ghosted and I dont think hes interested in doing much more tiling at this point.

the cabinet crown and ceiling crown are different sizes, so our contractor that installed the cabinets put the blocks where they meet.

• jackowskib
    hace 4 meses

The space looks wonderful so far! Just my opinion - I would look at window coverings to subtly enhance the space, such as woven woods that tie with lightness of the floor, this may likely give the completed look you're going for. Or shades with a pop of the green as suggested above. Once the space is cleaned up and a wee bit of accents on the counter (cutting boards, color accent bowl or canister, etc. and window coverings up, it will be lovely!

• arcy_gw
    hace 4 meses
    Última modificación: hace 4 meses

I would beef up the ceiling crown, while making it match the cupboards--wood tone, add the suggested shade and call it DONE.

• Design Fan
    hace 4 meses

The hood wall will look much better if the smaller white crown molding is replaced (and white transition blocks are removed) with a crown molding that matches the height and profile of the cabinet molding.

If doing the whole hood wall in green tile is not an option, try painting the upper portion the same green as the tile. If you don’t replace the smaller white crown, you may need to paint that green too.

+1 to the shades suggestion.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 4 meses

I do not see the reason for the green tile in the space IMO the tile to the bottom of the cabinets would have looked better ansd then you would have had enough to go to the ceiling behind the hood Go get the extension piece for the hood for sure.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    hace 4 meses

You did a great job with the cabinets, floor, and counter top. I'm not a fan of glass tile, but yours looks very nice. I agree with Patricia to get the extension piece for the hood--it looks awkward the way it is now. And Design Fan's idea of painting the wall the same color as the tile was something I thought of as well. Window coverings will finish off the look--Roman shades in a green and white pattern would be very pretty.

• Lisa
    Autor original
    hace 4 meses

Wow, it didnt even occur to me to replace the ceiling crown to match the cabinets and then remove the plinth blocks, thats a great idea. Not sure I would do it in wood though as the rest of the ceiling crown in the room is painted.

I also really like the green and white shades idea - I was thinking to get natural linen roman blinds but some green in there would tie it together.

• Maureen
    hace 4 meses

Adding something decorative will just feel cluttered and not solve the problem, which is the wall in general feeling unfinished vs just the hood issue.

If it were me, I’d have a wide custom hood made right to the ceiling, painted the same color as walls, with wood trim stained to match cupboards.

If not interested, add the hood extension and could paint the wall same color as tiles.

Either way, suggest woven roman blinds in a shade that is close to the cupboards.

So much depends if you want a more modern streamlined feel and base choices to suit.

• Design Fan
    hace 4 meses

You can upload your range wall photo to a paint site and experiment with the wall painted green like the tile and the crown painted white, green or wood. It’s a quick and easy way to get an idea of which way you want to go.

Try to get outlet covers on the range wall that match the tile color so they blend in. Or paint them if no other option.

Please post photos when done or if you have more questions on lighting, etc. Your kitchen will be great when completely finished!

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    hace 4 meses

Yes you need window treatments (I would do something like bamboo to tie in the cabinets ) but the problem is the hood. Don’t fiddle around the edges, just save up for a 36” hood and replace it when you can. Sell the one you have at that point on marketplace. We all make mistakes

• Kendrah
    hace 4 meses

Don't start picking apart a good thing. The color combos are amazing, the tile half way up the wall is a perfect choice for the tall ceilings. This space looks classic and modern at the same time. Nothing cookie cutter about your kitchen. It is close to perfection.

Please don't dumb it down with window treatments or art on the walls. Your only mistake here is the hood and Hallett had the right fix. Or, can you fabricate a fake extension of the vent so it looks like it goes all the way up to the ceiling?

• Kate Cowers
    hace 4 meses

Hood extension to the ceiling with some matching molding around the top. Love the idea for green print roller/cellular shades. Both of those would finish things off nicely.

• Lisa
    Autor original
    hace 4 meses

@kendrah thanks! it has been a long time in progress but we are nearing the finish line.

the hood is actually already 36" wide (range is 30") maybe it just looks small in the space? but yes we can easily extend the vent cover all the way up and that's probably the most logical thing to do.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    hace 4 meses

Here is some option

Arctic Ice Glass Subway Tile · Más información

• PRO
    hace 4 meses

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 4 meses

That hood is so undersized for the wall I don't think adding things will fix it.

• PRO
  • PRO
    hace 4 meses

Or might going with tile up

• RTHawk
    hace 4 meses

Here is a crude mock-up based on previous suggestions: hood extension, beefed-up crown, roman shades. I would pick a more transitional hood (I grabbed first thing I saw), maybe less brighter trim color

• Kendrah
    hace 4 meses

Lisa, just extend the hood, finish the kitchen, and use it and live in it for three months. Then see if it feels right or if you want more decor at that point.

• la_la Girl
    hace 4 meses

Love your green tile! looks fabulous with the wood

• Lisa
    Autor original
    hace 4 meses

Thanks! the tile is "kelp" from Fireclay

https://www.fireclaytile.com/tile/colors/detail/kelp

• Isaac
    hace 4 meses

Unrelated, but I am having trouble understanding what is going on in the picture. Is the range pulled away from the wall, or are the base cabinets less than 24” deep?

• Lisa
    Autor original
    hace 4 meses

Yes the oven was pulled forward while my husband was finishing the grout, this is with it pushed back

• elcieg
    hace 4 meses

Sconces need not be hardwired.

• chicagoans
    hace 4 meses

The green tile is pretty! Would it be nuts to do a heavy duty / wipeable wallpaper?

Example:

Mockups in your space:

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.