Houzz Logo Print
lisa_in_md

To Trim or Not to Trim

lisa_in_md
hace 7 meses
última modificación:hace 7 meses

After a long wait, three out of four of the windows in our new kitchen were installed today. Our contractor is not planning on putting another piece of trim under the sill, and instead tiling the backsplash all the way up under the sill.

I think this will look kind of funny but also think that opinion is perhaps being impacted by the current gap under the sill. What I was thinking was a piece of trim with tile below it.

SO, which do you think would look better?

I've included here several photos of the space, including one with the sample backsplash tile. I also am posting a picture of the spot for an adjacent casement window (husband wanted to be able to hand things out to the screened porch) and an existing window that's across the room.

Comentarios (22)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 7 meses

Why can you not do the trim and the backspalsh under that window.

• lisa_in_md
    Autor original
    hace 7 meses

Ha, thanks @Gigi W! And that's a really great point about the clean-up. @Patricia Colwell Consulting, you can! Sorry - the question is, just tile, or tile and a piece of trim.

• artemis78
    hace 7 meses

You could honestly go either way. We did the apron underneath and it did mean less room for the tile—and I think your windows are a bit lower than ours, too. Depending on your backsplash that might leave you with some slivers of tile—but it looks like it’s already pretty skinny? I don’t think it will look odd to just tile to the sill either—but try mocking it up. We do get water splashed on the wood but haven’t found it any harder to clean than the ceramic tile.

lisa_in_md agradeció a artemis78
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 7 meses

IMO tile and a piece of trim IMO that looks unfinished and will IMO always look like you forgot the trim.That is what I was saying is the best solution I aslo think all the trim should match but that is another thing .

• Sally T
    hace 7 meses

We have very little room between bottom of window and counter so we're just doing sill and tile. It's a slightly more streamlined look and I like it.

lisa_in_md agradeció a Sally T
  • daisiesandbutterflies
    hace 7 meses

At my previous house we had the same situation and I had the same concerns. We ended up tile only under the window, and it looked fine. We may have had a little bit less space between window and counter than you. I think it would look okay either way.

lisa_in_md agradeció a daisiesandbutterflies
  • KW PNW Z8
    hace 7 meses

I’m a little confused about the tile for BS. Is it that narrow piece sitting against wall in 1st & 2nd pics? How far up are you tiling around rest of kitchen? Up to bottom of cabinets or all the way up wall? Is that pass through window going to have a sill & side trim added? If yes, I’d finish both windows the same way & I think for the window over sink that tiling up to window - leaving off the trim under the sill would be what I’d do. It would look good & clean up so much easier. Too hard to paint the small strip that would be left between tile & under sill trim piece. I’m assuming BS tile is going at least up to cabinets & will not be that single narrow tile all around kitchen.

lisa_in_md agradeció a KW PNW Z8
  • PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    hace 7 meses

We do it both ways. With a sink there we usually suggest tile up to the underside of the sill but if client wants an apron we do that. It’s just personal choice.

lisa_in_md agradeció a HALLETT & Co.
  • PRO
    Lomo
    hace 7 meses

Replace the sill with matching stone and tile the whole.

• wsea
    hace 7 meses

We have no wood apron under our sink, but ours is a bit more modern in style then yours.

the rest of the windows in the space have a wood apron.

lisa_in_md agradeció a wsea
  • aziline
    hace 7 meses

We also tiled up to the wooden apron It's easier to clean and better to me. I like to take it one step further and use the counter top material for the window sill. If there was an apron and then tile in the back of my head I'd always be thinking "why didn't they take off the apron first?"

This pic is from before we moved in and the back splash isn't in yet.

lisa_in_md agradeció a aziline
  • lisa_in_md
    Autor original
    hace 7 meses
    Última modificación: hace 7 meses

Thank you all - especially for the pictures. I think we've decided to go with just the tile, primarily for the great clean-up reasons many suggested.

To answer questions - yes, the BS tile is the narrow piece sitting there. it's this - https://www.tilebar.com/seaport-chameleon-2x10-polished-ceramic-tile.html. We plan on tiling to the bottom of the cabinets. The pass-through window will get the same treatment we'll do on the main windows.

• KW PNW Z8
    hace 7 meses

Can you the two windows be seen from one spot? Even if not, I think I’d treat them the same. Unless of course that pass through window wall isn’t going to be tiled! Then yes, I like your plan.

• lisa_in_md
    Autor original
    hace 7 meses

@KW PNW Z8, here's the layout. As you can see, the fully finished window is pretty far away from the two in question. I think we'll be ok? Pass through wall will also be tiled.

e

• catbuilder
    hace 7 meses

Definitely use the apron trim, it will look unfinished otherwise.

Are you saying that the casement window is a pass-through window to the porch? As in, it opens onto the porch? So people will have the very likely potential of running into the open window?

• lisa_in_md
    Autor original
    hace 7 meses

@catbuilder, there is a storage bench under the window on the porch. The bench more than extends past where the window will come out.

Also, I suspect my husband will ask me to pass a beer out to him through the window exactly once before the excitement wears off. ;-)

• palimpsest
    hace 7 meses

I feel like windows with wide trim on the top and sides, but no apron on the bottom look a little top heavy and unfinished on the bottom, especially if the trim and tile are not similar colors.

• KW PNW Z8
    hace 7 meses

Well, now I’m thinking that the sink window should have the bottom trim if you’re adding it to the pass through window - for matching. I think the windows are too close to be different. Isn’t the pass through window a double hung? The bottom will raise up? But no screen since it opens to a porch - thus the pass through functionality. Is that correct? I’m thinking that @catbuilder concern of running into the window on the porch isn’t an issue. Is that correct?

• lisa_in_md
    Autor original
    hace 7 meses

@KW PNW Z8, the pass-through window will match. There will be no bottom trim on either. Just tile up to the sill.

The pass-through is a casement window, not a double hung. Or will be, if it ever arrives.

• Sally T
    hace 7 meses

@lisa_in_md - I think that you should have an ice cream window! we did this once at our last house and it was super memorable. Again, I vote for no apron, but I also think that you can't go wrong.

lisa_in_md agradeció a Sally T
  • lisa_in_md
    Autor original
    hace 7 meses

@Sally T, isn't any window an ice cream window if you try hard enough? :-D

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.