Houzz Logo Print
livingmydreamtoday

area rug first or sofas?

livingmydreamtoday
hace 8 meses

Hello,

My husband and I know the style of sofa we would like, and color. We will want area rug where our sofas will be in our living room. Is it recommended we select the area rug first then dial in on the fabric color?

Thannk you,

Comentarios (12)

• marmiegard_z7b
    hace 8 meses

You will get different answers, but I usually think furniture first. Meaning the main piece or pieces, like sofas. But in addition, you should start making a larger color/ pattern plan, even if loosely— inspo pics, mood boards , use paint chips to stand in for color options, or order swatches when possible. Honing on warm vs cool, neutrals and colors, what goes with your floors, are you stuck with wall color, or livd it, or will re- paint.

That’s because of several reasons. First, good, comfortable furniture is necessary to start enjoying the room, while a rug is not. There are fewer choices in upholstery, except super- custom, than rugs, it seems to me. So “ color” sets a tone and varies- there are many versions of grays, many versions of creams, tans, stripe, tweeds. And only a few of those maybe, in the sofa you actually pick for comfort & quality. Then you see your sofa in your actual room. Heaven forbid it’s a bust & needs return, but that happens. You move it where you want it & can then have more accurate idea of where other chairs, tables go & hence rug size & how sofa placed on it.

For rugs it can depend on whether you shopping locally, or ordering online. But online there’s a vast array— less of course after specifying material, cost, but pretty huge. Sometimes you can trial a small version & send back.

I’m not against choosing an “ inspiration rug” but I think it works better if it’s something you see in person & fall in love with somehow, preferably a quality timeless piece. A lot of people just order a sofa by color to seemingly match a rug they got, with less concern for quality and comfort. Or the bar for matching/ coordinating is low. Often this is the cool/ warm mismatch.

Of course there are designers who pick out everything at once, but still I think they often have more access to swatches, or have done serious legwork, or do some custom matching, plus, um, talent!

• marmiegard_z7b
    hace 8 meses

I would also include , this does mean you can’t think about or search for rugs before you have the sofa on site. It’s great to be working out your whole plan of how you think you want your furnishings to look. You might even have decided on one.
    I was focusing on the question of making the actual purchase & delivery.

• marmiegard_z7b
    hace 8 meses

Should be, “ doesn’t mean”.

• arcy_gw
    hace 8 meses

Chicken egg question. Which did you find that you can't live without??? Many furniture manufacturer have a upholstery fan deck of possible coverings when you find a structural design you like. We custom ordered all the chairs in our living room.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    hace 8 meses

If you’ve already chosen the sofa, then the deed is done. Unless it’s a crazy color, the rug choice will not be difficult.

• PRO
    May Construction, Inc.
    hace 7 meses

Furniture first and then add other pieces from there. But you mentioned you already chose your sofa so then you have the first piece done, put the sofa into your living room and then maybe live with it for a while and see how you feel about it, it may fell you choose a rug easier once the sofa has been in the living room for a bit.

• sofikbr
    hace 7 meses

I would still get furniture first. there so many rugs, I am sure you can find one you like.

• PRO
    OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
    hace 7 meses

I would suggest getting the large items first and then choose a rug to go with it.

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    hace 7 meses

Would suggest selecting furniture and rug at the same time. Best for coordination.

• Andee
    hace 7 meses

Buy the rug first if you or others love rugs, especially highly colored or patterned rugs. I am partial to oriental rugs, and my partner is also. Twice, in the last 20 years I have had the problem of a "bossy" rug. Two weeks ago I sold a brand new custom couch (never used) at half-price, since it could not exist with the gorgeous oriental that we bought, thinking a white couch would work with it. It did not, and would not. We panicked when we moved into this condo last winter, with no furniture. We bought the couch so we would have furniture. And then we found the rug - just had to have it. The couch was on back-order and so we laid the rug. When the couch was finally delivered, the mistake was obvious.

Twenty years ago, I did buy the rug first. Not quite so colorful, but intricate and with colors that at the time were difficult to find in fabric. Finally ended up buying a white sofa with minimal fabric that would coexist with the rug.

Just be aware.

• PRO
    PRM Custom Builders
    hace 7 meses

It depends on which item may be a longer-term item; I would recommend around the item you believe you will have and enjoy the longest.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.