Houzz Logo Print
stephjdavis

Why is this kitchen so ugly?

stephjdavis
hace 10 años
My kitchen is ugly. There's no way around it. No mincing words, no playing nice: this is one bad kitchen. Its unique features include 3 different shades of wood, one from a light laminate wood countertop, and a general lack of architectural interest. It once featured a wavy pelmet that has been unceremoniously discarded.

What can I do to make it less ugly? Everyone on these forums have gorgeous kitchens! How did you accomplish this? Did I miss some sort of "how to have a picture perfect kitchen" class?

I've never done a kitchen remodel before, so I have no idea where to start. Also, budget is an issue, so for now whatever suggestions have to live with the light wood laminate counters.

Comentarios (116)

• Andrea D.
    hace 10 años
    I had a light like that in my kitchen. I thought I was going to have a huge rectangle mark on my ceiling after but I didnt. Paid $40 for a new one and kind of took it out of 1985 but then had professionals paint it for $1200 which was a steal considering taking down cabinets and replacing meant $20,000 on the cheap end. If you have patience, you can do a little at a time until it is done.
  • Catherine Giesige
    hace 10 años
    Once you change the lighting I would pop the dated 4" strip off the backsplash and tile it all in a neutral colour. You could then accessorise in the colour of your choosing. If the budget allows add some brushed nickel or stainless cabinet hardware. I also agree that some molding around the soffit painted white along with the ceiling would give a nice finish. Do you have any space near the fridge or a walk in pantry where you could place the microwave? An island would look nice but would not be a practical place to put the microwave unless you can bring some power up through the floor.
  • celestial
    hace 10 años
    This kitchen isn't ugly! It IS a little too much brown, however. I love the idea of painting the walls in a lighter blue to go with the brown; a blue-gray would go well with the stainless steel. Glass tiles in the backsplash would reflect light and make everything look brighter, as would under cabinet lighting, which can be cheaply installed. Get a microwave/hood combo for over the stove. Try blue dishcloths, aprons, a plant pot to pick up the wall color. These would not be too difficult a start.
  • PRO
    Context
    hace 10 años
    I would change the light. It looks like it's florescent. I would get a light (preferably white) ceiling mounted drum shade light, or a large rounded one that gives off a lot of light, and it should not be too small, perhaps around 22". I would change the color of the walls to something light, like a sea foam color and change the hardware to brushed chrome and modern looking. You can put FLOR or something similar on the floor. Whole thing will cost less than $500 and it will look fab. I agree with others about microwave, and that thing over the window. Put up white wooden blinds, or white sheers, or something light and airy on that window.
  • design_sos
    hace 10 años
    1. The distance you need to walk from refrigerator, stove, and sink is a bit far. Perhaps consider an island as a landing zone for cooking.

2. Over the range microwaves are overrated. They don't allow for decent ventilation and are horrible for children and the elderly. Consider a drawer microwave for the island.

3. Lighting is inadequate. Task lighting will help immensely.

4. Add color with a backsplash. It's a bit difficult to tell what type of countertops you have, but if they're laminate, I'd upgrade to solid surface.

5. Your cabinets appear to be in good shape. You can always paint or add hardware to jazz them up a bit.
  • SNZTH
    hace 10 años
    Última modificación: hace 10 años
    De-clutter. Empty bench space always looks better. Only have a few essential items (if you can) on the bench.

I like your kitchen doors - the dark wood. I'd paint the cabinets the same color. I'd also take the doors off the upper cabinets and if bydget allows some lighting beneath them. You have a un-used space in the middle there, that could be home to a large butchers block or an open kitchen island. Biggy, I'd also take out a cabinet each side of the window to allow more natural light in, and also dress the window.

I found a few images that sort of portray my thoughts.

This image is the open cabinets and the dark wood. You don't even have to change your wall color, if you want to be budget friendly.

Lettered Cottage kitchen · Más información

This image is the open kitchen Island.

Gray Kitchen with White Cabinets · Más información
  • PRO
    Basin Custom
    hace 10 años
    The first things that came to my eye that I would do to enhance the beauty of your kitchen are..Counter tops, back splash, floor. Those are the main big things that i think will make a big difference. Then maybe if you wanted to ad some hardware like cabinet pulls and maybe put up some roman shades. Good luck!
  • PRO
    Yale Appliance
    hace 10 años
    I really do not hate this kitchen...In fact, it is rather large. The fluorescent washes out the color. If this was a tight budget, add a LED surface light and a pendant over the sink. A few of you have said over the range micro wave, but a chimney style hood would add some pizzazz as well
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    hace 10 años
    Lighting isn't helping install can lights. Add brush nickel pulls long to cabinets. Flooring is dated. Go travertine, 14-16" tile.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    hace 10 años
    If in budget, go granite in a gold tone. Add backsplash, subway, take lightest color from granite.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    hace 10 años
    Add woven shade to window.
  • Lidia
    hace 10 años
    Great kitchen. Okay, get rid of the ceiling fixture and add something hanging that is your taste. The countertop color kinda bothers me, perhaps its the computer screen monitor. If you are fine with painting wood, would you consider painting the upper cabinets and walls black, have a blond wood/laminate/stone countertop with bottom cabinets painted tan or strip the stain and stain the cabinets blonde? Think black n tan beer. The colors are classic, warm and still fresh.
  • nechamaj
    hace 10 años
    I saw a really good looking Laminate countertop at home depot. It was dark grey with large streaks of cream running through it. I also loved that it was thick and substantial looking. It had a modern straight edge, not the rounded type.
    That would be a cheap fix....
  • Christelle
    hace 10 años
    are you serious ugly????? i show you ugly lol
  • sbrustein
    hace 10 años
    The big black window trim bothers me more than anything. Can it be painted?
  • PRO
    Norwood Architects
    hace 10 años
    The dark cabinet color, counter tops, and surface mounted light in the middle.
  • Phil Boyd
    hace 10 años
    your cabinets look fine.
    the issues are

1) your countertops - got to go. put in a nice laminate if you are cheap, granite if you can afford it. a lighter colored granite since your cabinets are dark.

2) you need a back-splash. this alone will literally transform the kitchen. select the backsplash to complement the colors in the cabinets and the countertop

3) your lighting is terrible. fluorescent doesn't look good, more less from one source.
    canister lighting, maybe some angled/recessed lighting directed at the cabinets to show off the wood.
  • grobby
    hace 10 años
    Your cabinets and appliances look fine. First thing, I noticed was the window color. Have you painted your trim black, it doesn't add anything to decor and tend to look like an office window. Let the light and air in!!
  • Katherine
    hace 10 años
    You would really like the space on your countertop if your microwave wasn't there. I'm not a fan of microwaves over the stove, so I had a kitchen cabinet maker remove the upper cabinet to the left of my stove, and built a shelf for it. In the remaining above the microwave he built a smaller cabinet. It held me over until we put a new kitchen in some years later. He was able to match the finish with no problem. Do people really like bending over to use a microwave below counter height?
    We had stock cabinets and had a bulkhead built over them, extending forward of the cabinets by about 7 inches. Over each cabinet we centred a pot light. Made it look like a custom kitchen.
  • km kane
    hace 10 años
    well, what CAN you afford? And, more important, what will you be doing in the future? If a complete renovation is coming up, then I'd be reticent to spent much, if any money, now. If the footprint will stay the same, consider at least adding can lighting and options for pendants over an island and the sink. Will you keep the cabinets? Would you consider painting them? You can do that now, as well as add under counter lights. If you are going to change your countertops, then don't worry about the backsplash now. Consider a double hung window with nice wood trim and ditch the slider. Think about adding cove molding to the ceiling to deal with the soffit (gawd, I hate soffits). At a minimum right now, clean off your countertops!! (heck, you've got TONS of cabinet space), and move your microwave to the left of the oven. But really, think and invest in the future of what you want. Oh, and keep in mind the design of the rest of your house!
  • km kane
    hace 10 años
    OH! excuse me @gormoo I meant to use the proper term - "recessed downlights". Time for a - what is it @karemore55? YES - a mojito!
  • sunnydrew
    hace 10 años
    It is not so bad- get new ( bar-style) hardware, clean off the counters and add a backsplash. It looks like you have room for a small island?
  • Nancy Walton
    hace 10 años
    Steph, have you made any changes yet? Post pictures if you have. I love the multicolored backsplash posted above, but you have to be comfortable with pizazz...
  • PRO
    Darla Scheuerman
    hace 10 años
    Paint the ceiling white. Replace the light fixture with a large curved track lighting piece that uses LED lights. Don't paint your cabinets. Give them new hardware. Replace your microwave with a stainless and put it somewhere less obvious, next to the refrigerator? Clean everything off the counters except a few small colorful decorator items. No hanging towels. Everything here you can do on a budget. Start there.
  • PRO
    Darla Scheuerman
    hace 10 años
    Also, don't invest in backsplash until you are able to install granite counter tops.
  • PRO
    Darla Scheuerman
    hace 10 años
    Paint the window trim and install a new pendant light above sink.
  • karelina
    hace 10 años
    Talking kitchen island is expensive. A farm table, on the other hand would be inexpensive. It would also make a central convenient work area.
  • PRO
    Dalia Tole
    hace 10 años
    Replace the light with a modern light fixture or light/fan combo from Home Depot (about $150). Put a nice little rug on the floor. Assess what else needs to be changed. I dont think you need to do much more. Still... if cabs are wood, paint them a light color or white. Rip out the formica and replace with Ikea Numerar butcher block countertop. By the way, remember most dream kitchens in Houzz are NOT realistic for most people. Your kitchen beats probably 80% of other kitchens in appliances and size.
  • Nancy
    hace 10 años
    this is not an ugly kitchen - this is just a dull kitchen that needs some tarting up! Lots of inexpensive ideas already posted.
  • emmmariee
    hace 10 años
    Your kit hen isn't horrible at all! If possibly, you could add an island. But definitely add some lights fixtures, get the microwave off the counter, and add a gorgeous backsplash. :)
  • emmmariee
    hace 10 años
    Also, if not mentioned above...add some door knobs to your cabinets to add character.
  • KD
    hace 10 años
    What is the obsession with over the range microwaves? I hate them. They're in an annoying place for most people to use, they're a safety issue, and they don't tend to be particularly good at being a hood, either. It's like the worst of all worlds.

I don't particularly love losing counter space to a microwave, but functionally it's the best height for me, and on a normal depth counter you'll have a little 'landing' spot in front of the microwave if you reach to take something out and it's warmer than you expected so you need to put it down right away. Maybe because it gets a fair amount of use in my house? (I can cook quite well, but sometimes I just feel like heating up leftovers the lazy way, and other people in the house practically cook everything with the thing. I'm pretty sure there'd be a mutiny if I tried to make it more awkward to get to.)
  • km kane
    hace 10 años
    @PirateFoxy you are so right about over the range microwaves! When I remodeled my kitchen, I placed mine in a counter height cupboard behind double doors, with a pull-out shelf beneath it for a landing spot. In addition to what you said above, who wants to LOOK at them? I'm for clean lines. It's why I don't like apron-front sinks, too. Ah well, to each his/her own.
  • KD
    hace 10 años
    @kmkane - If possible, I'd love to see a photo of what you did. We're going to redo the kitchen eventually and I'd like to have a better home for the microwave than just plonked on a countertop.
  • laurienordin
    hace 10 años
    I agree with changing the lighting and installing an over the range microwave. I would also paint the window trim white. I like your kitchen. Small changes will make a big difference. Enjoy your project.
  • orlyzeelon
    hace 10 años
    i have to be honest with you; you are right. My mom has a kitchen like this and i believe top cabinets are to be removed and replaced with either country style elements or anything. top cabinets are required but only a handful. on the side for example as a pantry a fridge. make it look more like a pannelled wall.
    if you just did it right now try to sell it-get less but this time plan your room right. the kitchen window is also dark.if you can replace it to either white ivory or even natural light wood that would be great. The right kitchen is with many drawers for everything [plan on storing the items you use] on the lower parts, and some shelves and open shelves on the top. get as far away from the window as possible, leave some air, if you can make a huge window, with such a big room go do it. if it is an appartment and the window has to stay talk to a good window maker and consider clad windows-they enable dark outside and light inside.
    i know the pain of living in something you hate, if you can aford a change do it- you only have one life to live and you never know what me happen tomorrow while you are waiting and suffering from the unpleasent kitchen. good luck on your new design and with a great desision. happy new year.
  • kathleen MK
    hace 9 años

There is a Rustoleum product that refinishes laminate countertops. I have even used appliance epoxy in desperation. You could do a faux granite in a charcoal or black with white or cream subway tiles for a backsplash. paint window frame and walls a pale color. hang some decorative plates or baskets on the soffit for color and texture. really you have a nice kitchen it just needs some accent color in accessories.

• taylor_rae8
    hace 9 años
    First things first. Change the light fixture, recessed would be really pretty but it could be expensive. Look for a industrial funky long chandelier. Underneath it I would put a island. Doesn't have to be permanent you can sometimes find a nice one at homegoods. Then add crown molding to your cabinets they seem too low, doing so will give the room hight. Change your microwave, maybe sacrifice one of the cabinets to have it mounted. Then try painting the walls a soft cool beige. And finally paint those cabinets! A warm gray would be bueatiful! Hope that helps
  • John Accetta
    hace 9 años
    It's really not that bad. The lighting would change a lot . Maybe the ceiling color but it's ok. I'd go 6 high hats and under cabinet lighting
  • John Accetta
    hace 9 años
    It's definitely the light and maybe the white microwave :) I'd take those cabinets for my own kitchen so don't get crazy gut it's really not bad. I like it
  • John Accetta
    hace 9 años
    An island would be nice in the middle seems to have enough room
  • alwaysdesigning
    hace 8 años

Replace the light fixture to start with. Paint the cabinets white, replace the laminate with a quartz, put in a glitzy backsplash, install a nice sized island to fit the space, and you will have a fab kitchen. The flooring could also use an update, but installing an island will take the focus off of it. Good luck

• S F
    hace 8 años

If your range hood actually exhausts to the outside, I'd keep it and I would not put a microwave over the range. I have your same problem with cluttered countertops, but it sure looks like you have more than enough room to get an island. Maybe something that is covered from the back and open in front with shelves for storing items that don't need electricity and are not used daily. Maybe consider getting a smaller microwave in stainless to match your appliances. Someone mentioned the items on your fridge, I find the fridge a great to put recipes, reminders etc. but I don't do that on the front. I hide that on the side so you have to be in the kitchen by the counters to see it. I also agree that I wouldn't change the floors until you are ready to spend the bucks on your dream remodel. An island would take some of the spotlight off the floors along with a runner and possibly a cushioned mat. I don't know that I'd invest in changing out the countertop to just have to do it again. But you could paint or refinish your cabinets to better work with the countertops you have now. Also, replacing faucet fixers, cabinet hardware; painting the walls and your backsplash areas; and changing lighting fixtures can do wonders. Well, you've probably done something by now, it would be nice to hear what you decided to do.

• Martin Hibbit
    hace 8 años

Two years on, did it ever get done? easiest way would have been to paint all the cabinet fronts, the three wood colours were bad. White or an off white then the tops and window would have gone. what colour Microwave did you buy? ;)

• Lynn Wall
    hace 8 años
    Your kitchen is huge, change out the light on the ceiling, a microwave over the stove, and maybe add a nice island with counter seating. change the color of the room.
  • kmecca
    hace 8 años

Love these suggestions! Would you consider sending an After Picture?

• rocketjcat
    hace 8 años
    Old post, OP not around since 2013.
  • Mildred Jennings
    hace 8 años

Definitely an old post!

But in case someone has a similar problem...

One suggestions would be the light fixture! Change the lighting panel, buy a decorative one that diffuses the light. I would try www.usaskypanels.com

Here's a picture...

• PRO
    Style Align
    hace 8 años
    Okay
    - you have nice appliances so that's good

I will offer advice on what I think is cheapest way to update
    - paint the cabs ( taupe or sage type color).. Do it yourself.. Watch some u tubes, get advice and buckle up for hard work..

But it's doable..

- or paint the trim and get new doors

- leave the light ( hate saying that buts it's expensive to install high hats) so but paint the trim same as cabs

- lose the big microwave unless it's a must to cook and that can't be if you want a nice kitchen

- change out the knobs

- paint the walls

- de clutter
  • Kristi Moore
    hace 2 años
    Última modificación: hace 2 años

1. De Clutter - remove all stuff from Counter

2. Paint the walls. SW Alabaster White or SW Agreeable Grey

3. Put brushed nickel pulls on cabinets

4. Remove the light - replace with LED canned lights 400 or 500 lumens, dimmable

5. Exchange for smaller, stainless steal microwave

6. Replace Fridge with counter depth and put current fridge in garage for overflow

7. Remove 4” granite backsplash and fill entire backsplash with glass tile backsplash that is lighter, but coordinates with countertop.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.