Houzz Logo Print
sheila_widergren81

Exterior Design for mixing siding styles, please help

Sheila W
hace 11 meses

Hello, I am new and took down original thread, as it was under several different areas. I apologize for confusion so I am starting over. I would love input for exterior design. I am attaching houseplan. I know front gables are different pitches, nothing can be done at this point, trusses ordered and for some reason, that was as close as they could get. So my question is, with what I am working with, what is the most aesthetically pleasing way to mix board and batten and horizontal 8 inch wide plank. Windows are 2 over 2 grid all over, not what is pictured, front doors are 8 feet

We are thinking not to do awning and add barn lights on sides of garage triple windows.

One idea for siding is horizontal lap under trim piece on gables and 8 inch lap everywhere else

or horizontal lap under seams on gable and board and batten above and board and batten across porch and front of house

Sides of house 8 inch lap

The gable we are considering is a simple large straight beam under gable, open on wide, 10 inch posts I have attached 2 inspirational photos for it, 1 for the garage gable and the house

plan.

Thank you for any help!!

Comentarios (8)

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    hace 11 meses

What's wrong with leaving it all board and batten as it shows in the elevation? Simpler is better and it will look great.

Menlo Oaks Residence · Más información

• Sheila W
    Autor original
    hace 11 meses

Thanks for your iinput, we have driven around and sometimes the board and batten looks flat and unfinished, the house posted above is gorgeous and looks like it has extra trim under the right gable lower window, maybe some extra touches on trim prevent that?

• PRO
    Desert Design
    hace 11 meses
    Última modificación: hace 11 meses

IMO, mixing siding is tough, and most of the time it doesn't look great. I agree with Sabrina that simple siding can be attractive and timeless. You can add curb appeal with trim, hardscape and landscaping. In the pic above with the vertical siding, I would have used larger porch pillars.

• PRO
    Yonder Way Designs
    hace 11 meses

The second photo works well. I like using board and batten on the gables to extend the height, but lap everywhere else. This would be different than the second photo in that I would not add a belly band, but instead just do full board and batten on the gable walls on the front and rear elevations. For the left elevation, all lap.

Sheila W agradeció a Yonder Way Designs
  • millworkman
    hace 11 meses

" we have driven around and sometimes the board and batten looks flat and unfinished "

That is usually because they do not use true 1x12 RS Lumber with 1x RS Baton's, they use Hardie, or Plywood, and the siding has no depth.

• Sheila W
    Autor original
    hace 11 meses

We live in Florida so hardie or cement fiber is what we use, so in that case maybe I should think about that, at least I know I am not crazy because I was beginning to wonder if it was all in my head. Thanks for you input

• PRO
    Creative Visual Concepts, Kevin Strader
    hace 11 meses

I think the idea of horizontal lap siding below the gables and B & B on the gables works well. I just did a mock-up for a client who was going to do the same thing. If you did that I would also widen the band board separating the walls from the gables. Also, I would not do the shutters on the one window they're show on. It is a double window and the shutters would not cover the window and are therefore inappropriate.

If you are interested in seeing some ideas visually check out my web site, Creative Visual Concepts.

• Sheila W
    Autor original
    hace 11 meses

Thank you so much and I will for sure check out your site.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.