Houzz Logo Print
rebecca_maurer64

bathroom door dilemma

Rebecca Maurer
el último año

Our bathroom door takes up allot of space in our washroom. It also makes it hard to use the vanity because the door gets stuck when behind the vanity door. Any suggestions? Thought of a pocket door but there’s electrical wiring .

Comentarios (19)

• tiffany66
    el último año

Is there room on the hall side to install a sliding door??

• Valinta
    el último año

Pocket door, we also did that, enlarging the door opening at the same time.

• littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
    el último año

Have the door swing the other way. It will still be crowded but the door won’t jam up against the vanity door.

• cat_ky
    el último año

I dislike pocket doors, so would look for a better option, either swing the other way, or maybe swing out, rather than in, would work for you.

• millworkman
    el último año

Not quite as bad as a barn door but nothing like letting everyone on the otherside know your business as it is happening. Pocket doors make awful primary entrances into any room, especially a bathroom.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    el último año

I grew up with pocket doors in many places and I loved them . As mentioned electrical can be moved . Probably the least invasive and expensive is to change the door swing so it swings out .

• roarah
    el último año
    Última modificación: el último año

We reframed the door in our tight hall bath to swing out makes a world of difference. A pocket door was not possible due to wall structure and cat walk stairway.

• Rebecca Maurer
    Autor original
    el último año

I like the pocket door idea however the wall is where the tub and shower is ? The pocket door would run into the plumbing

• Rebecca Maurer
    Autor original
    el último año
  • cpartist
    el último año

Have the door swing out like roarah shows. That's what I did for our master bath.

• Rebecca Maurer
    Autor original
    el último año

So there is the shower behind the wall so I was thinking a sliding door however we have trim so how does that work ? Would it gap

• PRO
    BRIAN LaFRENIERE | TACOMA REAL ESTATE
    el último año

Barndoor probably your best option, given layout and scope of updating.

My contractor suggested barndoor for ours because pocketdoor frames tend to pinch - we took the risk for our particular project and sentiment however, barndoor is a good option.

Don’t do an out swing door - market wont like it. Trust me, 20-years in the industry.

• roarah
    el último año

Barn doors have alot of hate on this site but they are often a good solution. I used a conceled track with original doors in my house and from the one side they look just like pocket doors. The original swing hinged doors took up too much room in my 8 deep sunroom.

I used this from amazon

They do not lock and there are gaps that you can see, hear and smell thru though.

• cat_ky
    el último año

No sliding doors. Those are terrible. Absolutely no privacy with those barn door type sliders. Those doors are fine on a closet, or on entrance to another room, but, never ever on a bathroom.

• kudzu9
    el último año

I have 4 bathrooms, all with pocket doors, and they're great. Generally, people who are not keen on pocket doors have that opinion due to poor experiences from crappy, contractor grade hardware being used.. Quality hardware, like Johnson brand, is only a few bucks more than the standard junk, but is far superior. My house is 20+ years old and all of the pocket doors continue to work smoothly and quietly, even though they are large and heavy solid core doors.

• roarah
    el último año

Pocket doors are the better option if this were not a wall with plumbing or electric but as it has both a swing hinge change or exterior tack door, ie barn door, are more feasible and economic options. I guess a bifold door could be considered too. Johnson’s makes hardware for all those options.

• Rebecca Maurer
    Autor original
    el último año

Thanks for the advice !

• shirlpp
    el último año

Put in a pedestal sink.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.