Houzz Logo Print
hunt_marcia

Exterior Makeover Help

Marcia Hunt
el último año

We just purchased this home and the exterior needs some serious help for curb appeal. It is easily the blandest house in the neighborhood. I would love some ideas of how to make it look not so boring... and I cannot stand that the trim, garage doors and gutters are 3 different colors. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comentarios (13)

• KW PNW Z8
    el último año

My first thought & impression is that the easiest thing to do is paint gutters & garage doors the same color as trim. Leave downspouts as don’t want to emphasize. Looks like gutters never painted. That trim color is good with roof & blends well with window trim..Garage trim looks like only top painted. Front door could be an accent color but might be challenged to pick color that’s good for both brick & front rock face. I’d start with greens - not brights like fern green & not dark like hunter green.. Think about changing entry ceiling light to a prettier hanging light that fills area above the door. Landscaping & lawn could use some love - looks new. Take those ties & support poles off the trees if they’ve been on close to a full season. The ties will girdle the bark & kill trees pretty fast.

Marcia Hunt agradeció a KW PNW Z8
  • Usuario de Houzz-695822714
    el último año

I would change out the garage doors to a natural wood to warm up the feel, with windows and a full-view front door of the same.

Would look more welcoming instead of a barrier. The lawn and planting will add softness when the season changes. Congratulations, it's a beautiful home.

Marcia Hunt agradeció a Usuario de Houzz-695822714
  • elcieg
    el último año
    Última modificación: el último año

Whoever built the house had a problem with colors and undertones. First thing....the yellow/gold brick around the front gable is a good place to start landscaping. Plant along the foundation something that you can trim, which will fill in as a hedge, and will stay green year round. My go to for all of that is Cherry Laurel.

Now that that unattractive color is gone you are left with a very decent color brick.

Marcia Hunt agradeció a elcieg
  • decoenthusiaste
    el último año

Add more light at the front door and more personality in that recess with a custom transom above it. This is just for concept. A hanging light would hep too.You could paint the garage doors to match the window trim so they would fade away. Figure out a way to move those two downspouts away from the entrance. Then find a pro who can help you develop a new landscape plan. Some of it can be installed this fall and some next spring. Avoid died mulch; go for natural like cypress to help repel pests and to degrade nicely over time.

Ascher Davis Architects, LLP · Más información

Marcia Hunt agradeció a decoenthusiaste
  • chloebud
    el último año

“You could paint the garage doors to match the window trim so they would fade away.”

My very first thought since the garage is prominent. Keep as much focus off of it as possible. Same with gutters and downspouts. Trying to think of a color for the front door. It needs to be pulled out of the shadows with a lighter color.

Agree with Judiana…the brick is nice!

Marcia Hunt agradeció a chloebud
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    el último año

New garage doors with some windows will help I agree the same color as the trim. But the biggest pay off will be some great landscaping and a new front door in a color .

• Marcia Hunt
    Autor original
    el último año

I’m not sure I can afford t replace the garage doors yet. May have to get a quote and plan that for later. Hopefully painting will help for now.

I was also thinking of maybe doing a lime wash on the stone to make it less yellow?

• KW PNW Z8
    el último año

@Marcia Hunt About those garage doors- seems like damaged panels on g doors can be replaced especially on newer roll up doors. If you just wanted windows in garage to change look, maybe check out a new panel with windows.

• BirchPoint
    el último año

@lisadev, how do you do those mock ups? I've been longing to do mockups of the front door of my house to try diffent colors and wonder how you do this.

• smile4me422
    el último año

I would paint the front door and garage doors either a muted Navy or Charcoal, the problem with the house is it has no focal point and no contrast, it's washed out. These are the cheapest and least extreme things, so you might as well try them first. Then reevaluate on spending more cash on further enhancements after you've lived with that for a bit.

• PRO
    Revive AI
    el último año

New garage doors will go along way to updating your beautiful home and then you can match the trim to those. Here are some ideas for your home! Try on different ones with the free door visualizer app and test out new entry doors too. https://apps.apple.com/us/app/door-visualizer-with-modifai/id1459977254

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    el último año
    Última modificación: el último año

My first impression - yes, the builder had a hard time coordinating his/her colors. IMO, the garage doors, brick, and stone clash.

Since the stone covers the smallest area, I’d whitewash it to tone it down and try to get it to blend with the brick (which isn’t bad). As mentioned by the OP a few posts up.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.