Houzz Logo Print
hillary_james5

Rustic island in white kitchen?

Hillary James
el último año

I'm in a dilemma about our new kitchen island. I'm not sure this rustic reclaimed wood island fits with the style of the white modern kitchen. Does this work style wise, or should we consider painting the legs of this island?

Comentarios (35)

• teamaltese
    el último año

I think the top is too warm a wood for the gray flooring. I love a rustic/vintage touch in a modern kitchen. Maybe a stone topped vintage table?

• Valinta
    el último año

I like it!

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    el último año

The wood on your island is the only thing that is throwing me. As teamaltese said the color is kind of jarring in comparison to your gray wood flooring. I like the base of the island as it relates in color to our black oven. If you can find a way to tone the wood down then I think it would fit in better. Good luck!

• njmomma
    el último año

For me… that small narrow island would just get in the way.

I would add a very flat area rug to add interest

• Hillary James
    Autor original
    el último año

I can see how a rug would help but we really need the counter space that an island provides. is there a rug color or style that you think could help tie things together?

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    el último año

I would not call that kitchen modern and that island is just all wrong .I think it is just going to be in the way . I hate rugs in kitchens and who designed a kitchen with no counter space .I need to see the whole space please .

• Hillary James
    Autor original
    el último año

Thanks Patricia. I'm not sure what style of kitchen this would be called? Here are some more photos for context, including one without the island. We found that when cooking, there is very little counter space on either side of the stove, and quite a long distance between the counter on the other side of the room for prepping. Thanks for your advice.

• Hillary James
    Autor original
    el último año

With rug option

• Whatever
    el último año

No rug
    Looks like you need this island for hot pots. If thats true need other than butcher
    block . stainless steel top might look good and provide contrast with the existing counter

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    el último año

For me that reads as a sofa table or entry table. I would get a portable island that could be moved around, as the island as a whole seems slightly off to me.

• chispa
    el último año

I had to look twice because at first I thought you were mocking it up with a workbench. I would also go with a white portable island with a more traditional design.

• la_la Girl
    el último año

^ Agree I think a kitchen island on wheels would look better - a stainless top gives you lots of flexibility with temperature and I think would mesh with your floor better

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    el último año

then you could wheel it over to the bare wall by the oven when not needed to keep the focal point of the oven.

• tracefloyd
    el último año
    Última modificación: el último año

RL- I think you meant to say keep the focal point of the arch?

• dan1888
    el último año

Probably not in your current agenda. I'd take the entire run down and rebuild with a 30" induction range and all wide drawer lowers. No wall ovens. And there would be lots of counter space. No island.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    el último año

@tracefloyd that is where the oven is ? not sure what your getting at?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    el último año

The rug is too small (you need a runner or a larger size rug altogether)

This size rug would work. this white island w/marble top would also work.

But that current island choice is all wrong. (wrong size, wrong color)

I think a marble bistro table would fit in much better

(I'll post a few mock ups of the whole space so you get an idea)

shown w/a better looking/sized rug, and the Beramot light fixture. (I have this one. it puts out some great light)

or something like these (with a longer runner)

I'd also accent this one wall w/some wood cutting boards. it will lend some warmth to the all the gray. (try painting the wall BM Wrought Iron)

and this rug from ruggable.

I'd also place one or two of these boards behind your stove top.

I'd prob bring in a better light to accent that table too

• tracefloyd
    el último año

RL never mind. I thought it was a typo when you wrote ...keep the focal point of the oven.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    el último año

@Beth H. : I like those lights but that will be bad lighting for a kitchen, especially with Edison style bulbs. Just a thought.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    el último año

RL, they aren't edison. I have the LED bulbs in my hallway. you could land a helicopter w/the light it puts out!

it's much better lighting than the light she currently has. her's has a diffuser screen on it.

she could also do a pendant w/LED 75W bulbs. lots of light

I like this color wood island w/the marble top and the pendant over it ( as opposed to the flush mount there currently)

these are all examples of lighting w/small moveable islands.

or she could do a larger pendant w/100W led bulb

regardless of lighting, that island choice she picked is just wrong.

I like the french style since it works w/the arch and the brick in the kithen.

wayfair has this one

even a white one w/a gray top would be better.

• Hillary James
    Autor original
    el último año

@Home Interiors with Ease, the width is just 90 inches, which is another challenge. To allow 3 feet on either side, that leaves islands that are 18 inches in depth, which has further limited our options. This is another one we have considered that is the right depth and might fit better style wise. But would I have the same problem with the warmth of the brown wood against the gray floor? I do like the french style. Just challenging to find ones narrow enough for the space.

Agree that pendant lighting would help! Thanks.

• tracefloyd
    el último año

Hillary-to answer your original question, no don't paint the island. It looks fine and is practical. I like it. Get some kitchen accessories in the same wood around the space to complement it- a canister with wood utensils, a wood bowl with some lemons. The wall to the right of the oven is a good space for a wood kitchen wall clock and the stool. Hang a mini cutting board next to the fridge.

• Hillary James
    Autor original
    el último año

Or we just aim for basic and functional in the right colors.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    el último año

Hillary, I posted a bunch of options further up. i have two commnts. check out the first to see if you like the french one

• ffpalms
    el último año

Beth’s last post is my favorite of all the ideas. LOVE it!

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    el último año

Yes, Beth always nails this kind of stuff. I would still love if it had wheels.

• RedRyder
    el último año

I think having wheels on the island will allow you to move it as needed. I do love the marble and black metal option that @Beth H posted. It works with the colors in your kitchen.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    el último año

I see your dilemma with space..any added counter is good...18" is max...are you wanting a more casual wood element in the kitchen? Your kitchen I would call traditional for sure but by adding some rustic wood you could go more transitional  or modern farmhouse..wheels are a great addition

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    el último año

Your ceiling situation is strange..will you by  removing that cove..or are you on a tight budget and have to work with it as is?

• Hillary James
    Autor original
    el último año

We are on a budget and will have to work with it. As it is off center it is a challenge.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    el último año

Can the island go under the area with the cove ceiling?

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    el último año

I would avoid a rug under the island..it is just to tight of an area and you will be tripping on the edge..

• PRO
    True American Grain
    el último año

Hi Hillary, even though your island is pretty, it looks like it was forced to be in there. By the look in your photos, you have white and gray dominating the kitchen. The island seems lonely. I know you want something in your kitchen. You can try quartz or marble. It may be more expensive, but I feel it will be a better fit, and convert your current island to a console table, perhaps.

• Hillary James
    Autor original
    el último año

Thanks to those who contributed great advice on my kitchen island dilemma. I have ended up really happy with the way it turned out. I added wood elements around the kitchen and a marble white cutting board to the top of the island. We added a solatube in the kitchen and that was the best investment! I get so many compliments.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.